Manchester September 2018 Meet Up

The next Manchester Meet Up is this Saturday 21st July 2018 at the Siop Shop cafe, Tib Street, Manchester at 10.30am :slight_smile:

All welcome whatever your level of Welsh.

See link for details about Siop Shop

Look forward to seeing you there! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Jean,

Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m going to cry off todayā€™s meeting. However, please donā€™t think Iā€™ve decided not to learn Welsh. I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, I have OK days and days when I feel low and today is one of the latter.

Nevertheless, I might still have felt up to it except that Iā€™m - panicking is too strong a word - worried about how little I know. Iā€™m an usher in a magistratesā€™ court and Iā€™ve shown off to my close colleagues and what little I know sounds like a lot to them. So Iā€™ve been quite pleased with myself. But thereā€™s a Welsh defence solicitor - who is fluent -who sometimes comes in and I just clammed up when I saw him this week.

Iā€™m still on lesson 4 of Say Something because by the time Iā€™ve got home from work I often feel too tired to do much, so I do most of it at the weekend. And although Iā€™ve got a dictionary and phrasebook, the beauty of the course is that I hear the pronunciationā€¦but anything I use from the books I may mispronounce.

Iā€™ve already decided to take the kids to Wales again next year and by that time I should be much better. But I wonā€™t be able to do the language justice by August 13th and Iā€™m concerned by that.

What do you think?

David

1 Like

There isnā€™t a pass/fail mark with the language - youā€™re ā€˜doing it justiceā€™ (and more!) by making the effort to learn - and every single time you use it, you get slightly better (even if you canā€™t feel it) - so Iā€™d recommend you stop measuring yourself on how well you speak (youā€™ll always be too harsh, everyone is) - and start measuring yourself on how often you speak - with bonus marks and little personal rewards every time youā€™re brave enough to use your Welshā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi David

I second what Aran said David! :slight_smile: Itā€™s excellent that youā€™ve decided to learn and you will do it in your own time when you feel in the right frame of mind. We look forward to meeting you whenever you feel up to it . Weā€™re a very mixed group with people at different levels - some almost fluent, some with only a few words of Welsh and some in between. One new member came today and has only just started on SSIW lessons and is very much a beginner. Weā€™re a friendly bunch and try and make sure everyone feels included at all times . We often also have conversations in English about speaking Welsh if the group is made up mostly of beginners.
Enjoy your holiday in August David and even if you just say ā€œheloā€ and ā€œdiolchā€ in the cafes and shops itā€™s a great start. Your children may enjoy joining in with this too.
Hope to see you in Manchester soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Aran and Jean,

Thank you for your kind words of support. I really do appreciate them. After reading Sion Jobbinsā€™ The Phenomenon of Welshness, I decided that the next time I went to Wales Iā€™d try to speak some Welsh. We English have a deservedly poor reputation for learning other languages, and our attitude towards our Celtic neighboursā€™ languages had been particularly poor. Corporal punishment for speaking Welsh in school, for example, is appalling. Moreover, whenever Iā€™ve been to the Continent Iā€™ve always tried to speak the language and have found that rather enjoyable.

As an usher, I deal with defendants from the Continent and further afield, and, whilst some of them need interpreters, the majority speak good English to communicate. If only we English tried as much.

Because of your replies, Iā€™ll feel more confident attending future meetings. Thank you for your consideration and kindness.

David

3 Likes

Jean - and everyone else at the Manchester meet up today - Thank you very much indeed for being such a friendly, encouraging lot. I was terrified of meeting you all (even with my advanced son-in-law to protect me!) I only spoke about five words of Welsh - but they were five words to real live people, which was a very important step for me. Youā€™ve given me new resolve and excitement about learning Cymraeg. Thank you. Iā€™ll certainly be back. Garth

2 Likes

It was lovely to meet you and Antonio today Garth. Look forward to seeing you both again at future meet ups. Iā€™m sure youā€™ll do well with the lessons.
:blush:

1 Like

Hello Jean,

When is the August meeting? Weā€™re going on Monday 13th, but weā€™re only staying until Friday 17th. So Iā€™ll be free all of the Saturdays in August. Iā€™ll be sble to tell you how it went if itā€™s after the holiday!

David

1 Like

Itā€™s always the 3rd Saturday of the month David, so that will be the 18th August. Look forward to meeting you and have a great holiday. :grin:

Hi again. Just the usual monthly reminder about our next meet up in Manchester. Details at the beginning of this thread. All welcome as always. Hope to see you there this next Saturday 18th August 2018 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Jean - Maeā€™n ddrwg geni ond fedra ddim mynd siop Dydd Sadwrn boreā€¦ ( I have to to take my wife and daughter to Todmorden station. September next! Garth

No problem Garth. Hope to see you soon. I can see your Welsh is coming on very well!! Llongyfarchiadau!
Hwyl am y tro

Hello Jean, Iā€™d like to apologise for not being at the meet up today. Thatā€™s twice in a row that Iā€™ve bailed out, and it might seem as if Iā€™m not interested in coming down.

Itā€™s not that, believe me. I loved being in Wales this week with my niece and eldest two nephews - and speaking a bit of Welsh!! - but looking after the three of them was tiring, especially as I had to make sure that they didnā€™t cause any damage to the holiday apartment. So last night was the first night that Iā€™d had a full nightā€™s sleep, and I overslept. Plus, I spent a ton of money on them - more than I had anticipated - so in the next couple of weeks I need to be frugal.

I was looking forward to ordering a white coffee, as Iā€™m rather pleased with myself for being able to pronounce milk. Plus, I was hoping to write down phonetically some key phrases. Iā€™ve got them in my Welsh phrasebook and dictionary, but the things I can pronounce the best have come from the course.

So apologies for letting you down again.

Kind regards,

David

2 Likes

You certainly didnā€™t let anyone down David. Some people attend the group regularly, others drop in when they can make it, sometimes months between each visit. There are no rules or expectations apart from having fun and trying out your Welsh if you want to. Sounds like you had an eventful holiday and congratulations on using some of the Welsh youā€™ve learnt!! Youā€™ve got over the first hurdle!
Look forward to meeting you soon
Hwyl am y tro :blush:

1 Like

Itā€™s that time again! Next Manchester Meet up is this Saturday 15th September 2018 - same time, same place - see beginning of thread for details.
Iā€™m not sure if I can make this one but hope it goes well and all welcome as always :slight_smile: