Meeting up at Eisteddfod Tregaron

Hi,

I hope it’s OK to start a new thread specifically for people to arrange to meet at the National Eisteddfod next week. I haven’t been around the forum for quite a few years now but really hoping to make lots of old and new contacts!

We’ve arranged to camp on the family campsite with my two kids (12 and 15) and three of their friends. However unfortunately I will be the only adult of the party as my husband has had to travel to Germany unexpectedly as his mum has just passed away. (We decided to go ahead with the camping plan as we had already booked to go to Germany the following week.)

I am currently planning to install myself in the Maes D for a while every day to charge all our phones and portable chargers etc. I’ve done that there before, and it is also a good opportunity to (hopefully) find a comfy sofa to read or chat and plan activities. When I’ve sorted this out, I’ll post where and when I will be, and if anyone would like to come for a chat / practise a bit of Welsh, that would be absolutely lovely!

Please feel free to use this thread to organise further meet ups etc. Looking forward to seeing everyone!!

4 Likes

I’m really looking forward to catching up with you again, @netmouse ! Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law - such a shame the timing didn’t let you all get there in time to see her.

There is an informal get-together planned for 11:00 each day, outside the Art tent. @MarcusWhitfield is the organiser behind that one, but there will be lots of SSiWers and it seems a good time to meet up and make other plans for later in the day as well.

If any of you have SSiW t-shirts, wear them as you work around the Maes so that other SSiWers can spot you. With so many people taking advantage of lockdown to kickstart their Welsh learning, there are sure to be lots of new SSiWers about.

5 Likes

Ah, that’s great! It will be lovely to see you again, @Deborah-SSi!

Thanks for letting me know about the 11am meet up. I must have missed that, scanning through the other thread.

Hmm, I think I may have a t-shirt somewhere… will dig it out! :smile:

I’m not sure it’s been published on the forum yet - I was actually just coming here to check and post if not when I spied your very convenient thread! :smile:

1 Like

We will be meeting outside the Art tent most days but not all at 11am Dydd Sul, Llun, Mawrth, Iau, Gwener.

3 Likes

Diolch Marcus! It could still be a useful rallying point for others who want to get together on the other days, so worth popping along to see if there’s anyone there.

I shall be on the Institute of Physics stand on Sat to Wed afternoons looking forward to talking about Physics in Welsh. (Note to self - look up Welsh for Quantum Entanglement :smile:). (Google translate suggests “Maglu Cwantwm” which I quite like. :grinning:)

Seriously, I’ll be delighted to meet or catch up with any fellow SSIWers, but please excuse my embarassingly fading memory for names and faces.

I’ll post the location of the stand when I find where it is myself.

4 Likes

Well, the map just lists all appearing institutes without further location as being in the “Pentref Gwyddoniaeth a Thechnoleg”, so I guess we’ll have to see if we’ll even get more specific than that. :man_shrugging:

But fret not, I will find you :grin:

3 Likes

I’ll be out and about volunteering wherever I’m sent, this Friday through to the 2nd Saturday. Edrych ymlaen at eich gweld chi. Looking forward to seeing you all.

2 Likes

I’ll be there!!!

2 Likes

I’ll be there all week it will be lovely to catch up again @netmouse

3 Likes

That will be lovely, @amandalaing! :blush:

You’re right, of course, Hendrik. I’m told we’ll be near “the brown dome” in Pentre G and T. I look forward to “finding you” at the Vale on Monday evening. :smiley:

1 Like

I hope to see SSIW friends on Monday and/or Tuesday.

I’ll be there from tomorrow till Friday evening and will be in the Vale on Monday evening. I’m doing a few volunteering sessions and look forward to seeing familiar faces, catching up and meeting SSiW friends properly for the first time.

Reit! Happily installed in the maes d. It’s a bit basic this year - no inflatable sofas! But somebody friendly rigged me up an extension cable so we’re fine for charging. We also survived large amounts of rain last night and thoroughly explored the possibilities of uno and uno cheat! All’s good!

Found @Hendrik straight away, who is quietly serenading us with some very nice guitar playing! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

https://fb.me/e/2L2F3uPJy

I will be doing the following collage workshop and would love some other learners to come !

Thursday 1-3pm Aber Uni stand, main field

Creu dyfodol cyfansoddiadol Cymru:
Pa fath o Gymru hoffech chi fyw ynddi?

Pa fath o Gymru hoffech chi fyw ynddi? 13.00-15.00 Dydd Iau 4 Awst, stondyn Prifysgol Aberystwyth
prif faes, pabell Prifysgol Aberystwyth

Ymunwch â ni am brynhawn o dorri, gludo a sgwrsio! Mae’r sesiwn hon yn gyfle i ymateb yn greadigol a siarad yn anffurfiol am sut y caiff Cymru ei rhedeg nawr ac yn y dyfodol, a’r math o Gymru yr hoffech fyw ynddi

https://fb.me/e/2L2F3uPJy

I will be doing the following collage workshop and would love some other learners to come !

Thursday 1-3pm Aber Uni stand, main field

Creu dyfodol cyfansoddiadol Cymru:
Pa fath o Gymru hoffech chi fyw ynddi?

Pa fath o Gymru hoffech chi fyw ynddi? 13.00-15.00 Dydd Iau 4 Awst, stondyn Prifysgol Aberystwyth
prif faes, pabell Prifysgol Aberystwyth

Ymunwch â ni am brynhawn o dorri, gludo a sgwrsio! Mae’r sesiwn hon yn gyfle i ymateb yn greadigol a siarad yn anffurfiol am sut y caiff Cymru ei rhedeg nawr ac yn y dyfodol, a’r math o Gymru yr hoffech fyw ynddi
[/quote]

Which means his courier arrived with his luggage and guitar. He was somewhat concerned about that yesterday!

2 Likes

Haia bawb! Anyone in the Maes D today?