Meeting up in Betws y Coed during Eisteddfod '19

I have my schedule now. Basically it’s busy, busy busy.

1 Like

There’s a mistake on mine as they have me stewarding and in maes D at the same time. Trying to swap shifts.

1 Like

I was Asst Manager there out of college! 1970’s!

1 Like

I can’t wait
Will you have a booth?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Welsh National Eisteddfod Llanrwst, Conwy 2nd - 10/08/2019 General Discussion

A post was merged into an existing topic: Welsh National Eisteddfod Llanrwst, Conwy 2nd - 10/08/2019 General Discussion

Hi,

Is there anything planned like a meetup in or outside a pub by any chance?

We are staying most of the week on the Riverside camp site.

John

Hopefully at some point, yes. Including us two there appears to be six people staying in Betws y Coed who have posted here (seven if Huw is counted for his one night stay). I know there are four others in Betws so about eleven of us. Enough to arrange a drink and other activities. Presumably most of us will be walking to the Maes too.

It’s a fair walk to the maes from Betws but there is a shuttle bus running every 20-30 minutes from the station I think

1 Like

I’m at concerts on Saturday Sunday and Monday nights and Nia is suggesting a gig on Thursday evening but I’m
Not sure I can stay up that late!

If any one can work out a time I’m not volunteering, I’ll be happy to meet up.
@PeterAllen, the Eisteddfod website says there’s a footpath to the Maes from Betws that’s suitable for bikes. Any idea where it is because it’s not obvious time?

I think the path is on the west bank of the river but I don’t know for sure either. I expect it will be easy to find, the trick will be to leave plenty of time and have a rucksack full of provisions - just in case!!

The footpath is on the left beside the main road. The problem will be crossing the road into the Maes as no one is being allowed to cross the main road and there is a footbridge for pedestrians. I will check the handbook we were give yesterday when I get home.

This OS clip shows no sign of a footpath near thhe river

Google suggests this as the 52 min / 2.6 mile walk (assuming I’ve place the Maes correctly)

the entrance is a little further north than than but that is probably the bottom edge of the maes. There is going to be absolutely no crossing the A470 on foot other than via the footbridge. Its was reinforced very heavily yesterday!

There is a footbridge over the river to the east bank by the railway station avoiding the walk South then North. It is visible on Huw’s map.

The footbridge that Peter points out near the station would cut off about 1 km / 0.6 miles from the 2.6 mile journey.

I’m a bit confused by @amandalaing’s reference to a footbridge across the A470. Is this being constructed especially for the Eisteddfod? If so, where exactly will it be?

It would be very welcome (indeed essential) because the car park for us hwntws will be on the opposite side of the A470 to the Maes

EDIT: To answer my own question, I’ve found reference to Amanda’s footbridge just opposite the Maes here and am very glad of it :smile:

Yes it’s been built especially for the Eisteddfod and put up overnight.

1 Like

@amandalaing and @margaretnock not sure where Waterloo is @HuwJones Husband, Stephen,
and I are staying at Llety Betws from.3 to 10. Not going to Maes every day as want to do some walking.but would love to meet up. Will there be busses from Betws to the Maes do you think?

Waterloo Bridge crosses the river Conwy where the A5 meets the A470
Llew Jones’s bus timetable (19 and X19 from Betws to the Maes is here