Mistakes

Hi Folks!

I am very on board with the SSiW attitude towards mistakes… however, I am at level 1, challenge 13 at the moment and finding it so hard!! I feel like I just about get something and then something else is introduced.

Do I need to replay any lessons?

Diolch,

Lucy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, you don’t really need to replay lessons - things will be repeated later on and it’s this spaced repetition that is the magic - however, there is no harm in repeating a lesson once or twice if you really feel you need to AS LONG AS you don’t do so to the point where it becomes discouraging because you think you’re not getting anywhere.
What has been suggested to some who need more repeats than others is to repeat in blocks of 5. i.e. don’t keep going over and over a single lesson, but go back over the last 5 once and then move on.
One more thing, the ‘teen’ lessons do tend to move towards a ‘higher gear’, but that is because tootling along in 1st gear won’t get you very far very fast! If you can, just go with the flow, and as I said, the spaced repetition will do its thing in time :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Siaron is spot on, just to add 13 is a particularly challenging point to reach. My advice is to push on, if you get to 15 and still feel like you’re struggling MORE than progressing, nip back to 10 and build back up again. You’ll be amazed how much the formally “impossible” flows so nicely and, almost feels normal.

You’re doing so well to get to 13, so “dal ati” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m just at the end of level 1. I’ve paused a half dozen times along the way. The first 5 to 10 challenges passed really easily for me. I know we all differ but after that there were a few weeks where i didn’t understand some things which I thought I should’ve understood or where I’d been unable to study enough. However, i think there is so much common ground and so much gentle introduction of variance and new words I probably would’ve been ok just ploughing on most of the time. I decided about half way through that I’d move on even if I wasn’t entirely convinced I’d understood enough of the last lesson and if the next challenge was too scary or intimidating I’d pause and go back to the last one for another week. I’d give everyone the same advice: work at a rate that you enjoy and that enthuses you. Don’t put yourself under stress to meet a schedule. The language was here long before any of us and I’d love it to be there long after, which means people need to want to use it. Don’t be disillusioned. Keep moving on when you can understand about 80% of a challenge. There are a few stinkers in the 20s but we all survive!
Good luck for the next 22 lessons. See you on the other side! Personally I can’t wait for level 2.
Gareth

6 Likes

Hello @lucy-bradburn,

You’re doing great to get to Challenge 13 :sunny:
I’ve just finished Challenge 15 and can relate to your feeling of “just about to get something and then something else is introduced” very well indeed.
What’s working best for me is to split up the Challenges in nice and short parts of about 6 minutes a day, so everything has time to settle down.
If I’ve got a good day and I’m up to more I’m adding a few more minutes and enjoy the happy feelings.
If I’ve got a bad day and the 6 minutes felt like an endless struggle, I let it rest and repeat it on the next day; usually more successful :smile:

The spaced repetition really does the trick for me - so even if I feel like I won’t ever be able to remember a certain word or expression I just get on with the Challenges and I find myself using them more and more surely by and by.

I don’t think you need to replay any lessons, except if you think it would help you and you’re in no danger to get caught in the “perfection trap”.

Good luck and keep having fun! :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Those lessons were a shock for many learners! Don’t worry, it gets better! :wink:

6 Likes

Wow thanks guys! It still amazes me how lovely and welcoming this forum is :slight_smile:

Diolch,

Lucy

5 Likes

Um, yeah, 13 and 14 are a bit too brutal - sorry about that! But it doesn’t stay that tough, so plough on through and you’ll get there… :slight_smile: :star2:

3 Likes

Saw this and immediately thought of you all :grin:
@aran

3 Likes