Musical theatre lyrics in Welsh

My first passion in life is mujsical theatre. I know that many songs have been translated into Welsh (Les Mis - my all time favourite - was performed by children in Cardiff a few years ago, for example) but I can’t seem to find lyrics for any online. Does anhone knwo where I can get hold of any?

1 Like

I think the lack of online lyrics may be due to copyright issues. As I understand it, any Welsh version has to have permission from the publishers of the English version and this is usually for specific performances. However, I’ll tag @beca-brown here because with her children’s involvement in musical performances, she may have some inside knowledge!

1 Like

Hi there! My son played Gavroche in the Cardiff performance you’re referring to, and yes as you say it’s all been translated, by the poet Tudur Dylan I think. You often hear songs from Les Mis and other musical theatre shows sung at Eisteddfodau, and I know that many translations are available on either the Urdd website or the Eisteddfod Genedlaethol website. Let me have a little look…
But if you want the translation of any of Gavroche’s songs my son Tomi could probably still reel them off!!!

1 Like

https://www.ylolfa.com/products/9781784611101/sioetastig!-22-o-ganeuon-o-sioeau-cerdd

Here’s one book for starters…

1 Like

Diolch

Diolch Rebecca. To be honest I’d love ANYTHING from Les Mis!

1 Like