Mutations - or not?

Sorry if I’m being to fussy here - but that’s me I’m afraid!

Throughout the challenges I’ve come across situations where there are mutations when I think there shouldn’t be. For example:

She forgot = wnaeth hi anghofio - should be ‘gwnaeth’?
A big world = fyd mawr - ‘byd’ mawr?
I could = allen I - ‘Gallen i’?
Would = fyddai - ‘byddai’?
Could be = allai fod - ‘Gallai fod’?

I’d be grateful if someone could explain please. Diolch.

While I’m here, there’s one other issue that’s keeping me awake at night!

What’s the difference between these two ways of saying ‘I will’ - (w)na’i and ‘bydda i’?

Diolch unwaith eto.

There are lots of occasions in speech (which is what SSiW is based on) where mutations that are present in written Welsh are left out. It’s often a dialect thing, so in some areas the mutation will stay, in others it will go.
One of the reasons the mutation appears to be where it shouldn’t is the dropping of a positive particle (mi or fe) before the verb which would cause the mutation - it’s common for the particle to be dropped but the mutation remain.
This is one reason SSiW encourages people not to over-think or over-worry about mutations - in speech they can be fairly flexible.

The difference between (w)na’i and ‘bydda i is the (w)na’ i is a preterite future tense and bydda i is a stative future tense. The preterite is more for things that will be done in one action, the stative for things that will be done over a time. e.g. I will open the windows (preterite), I will be opening the windows.

1 Like

You are correct that in these instances the mutation is uncalled for, but the reality is that in spoken Welsh many people will use a short-form verb with a soft mutation anyway (whether it is a positive statement, a question or a negative statement).
The problem with byd mawr lies in the technicalities of how the course works versus how the language works. The course wants to teach you the sentence “It’s a big world” (Mae’n fyd mawr – with the mutation), but when that gets chopped up into its component parts by the software, you are left with a mutated word without an apparent reason.

The difference between wna i and bydda i is that the former is used for one-and-done actions, while the latter is used for expressions of state or longer actions:
Wna i olchi’r llestri nes ymlaen – I’ll was the dishes later.
Bydda i yng Nghymru wythnos nesaf – I’ll be in Wales next week.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn. Great explanations from Siaron and Hendrik.
Perffaith/Berfaith!!

1 Like