My challenges

You accept the compliments of the gentlemen gracefully, but I should hold my horses? :wink: Even though I don’t know you well, I know that laughing and crying are closely related; and that there are situations which make it very difficult for us to ‘chose’ between the two…so, they simply mix.

I couldn’t hear any mistakes - partly because I couldn’t care less about mistakes and partly because my Gymraeg still is so poor that I could only recognise the word ‘nos’. :joy:

1 Like

Oh, well, I didn’t mean it to be that hard. :slight_smile: [quote=“Claudia_Beryan, post:92, topic:2384”]
I couldn’t hear any mistakes - partly because I couldn’t care less about mistakes and partly because my Gymraeg still is so poor that I could only recognise the word ‘nos’. :joy:
[/quote]

You know much more than you are keen to admit. And it is all the thing of listening and learning how to say words. The mistakes are at the beginning. I should sing “Tecach yw na’r lili dlos” but instead I’ve left that “w” out. Then I should sing “Dim ond calon lan all ganu” but instead I’ve transformed that “all” into “ach” and just half mutated the “c” in the word “canu” what is absolutely not right. So now you know and will eventually not do the same mistakes when trying to sing this song. :slight_smile:

Yes, they often do. I actually didn’t quite know if we have enough time until “train” departure from the cave so I was in a bit of hurry too.

2 Likes

Ah, no, I was just lovingly teasing you! But, you know, I may sometimes sound a little ‘over the top’ or pazza, eh…that’s my Southern European blood :ok_hand:t5: (Imagine this typical Italian hand movement ‘Mafioso-style’). Tonight, we Mafiosi take over the hospital…dottor Matteo, Giacomo from the kitchen, nurse Maria and cleaning lady Claudia…mamma mia! :mask::scream:

I wish you were right and I’d really know more than I think. But ask Milla; she was so kind to chat with me about 3 weeks ago. I could only say very little in Gymraeg, I couldn’t remember much. Honestly, I don’t try to talk myself down, I’m telling you how it is. I do have a problem with learning and there is no point in denying that. :pensive:

1 Like

Hmmmm … this smells like things need to be tested a bit … When I sort myself a bit into ordinary ways of living again, we might have a nice little Skype chat at one point … :slight_smile:

I know, I know … don’t worry. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Da iawn, @Tatjana! You have a lovely voice!

2 Likes

I can’t believe it is already 2 years since I’ve last posted into this topic what means there were no particular Challenges in store for me to do. It might be I’ve done some more or less “impossible” stuff yn Nghymraeg, but nothing big in particular until now. But now, as many of you might (or might not) know already, the really big challenge lied ahead of me for about a year (or a bit more). So here it is:

Challenge Number 23 - SSiW Rap - A little story about 10 years of Say Somethig In Welsh

This is well the biggest challenge in Cymraeg I’ve ever made until now. Since Catrin published the plan to have a big 10th SSiW birthday party back in 2017 I had in mind to do something big and give it as a present when the party will be. The first thought was to write a poem but you know … poetry in Welsh is rather hard to write especially with quite strict rules of how to compose it (apart from modern poetry I presume) so I gave up on this despite I’ve started to compose some kind of a sonnet wreath. Yes, I literally have written some verses but then I gave up on trying thinkng “This thing is too poor to go wth it further”. Then on I’ve got the idea of making a song. Come on, me singing something I’ve composed! No way … My voice is more or less cracked and without real condition to sing … but yes eureka I’ve got the idea! What about the rap. You actually don’t need to sing but … o boy … you need to speak fairly fast in Cymraeg. Can I do this? Yes I might be able to do it after all.

So the writing of the lyrics begun in early 2018 but there was not much to write. No ideas what and how to include until the beginning of this year when I all of a sudden have got the idea. I’ve remembered every single thing I’ve read in the Aran’s book Some Sex and a Hill and in the FAQs on the learning page on the history of SSiW and started to inplement all my knowledge about it into the yesterday (01.06.2019) at the party presented Rap.

Next step was recording the whole thing which was a bit hard since i don’t posses the studio technology which could eliminate all background sounds off but with the luck of today’s phone technology and apps which some of them are really good even this was sorted out at the end. So recordings began, part by part night by night until all was done.

Then on it occured to me that I surely didn’t write everything properly and there might be many, if even tiny, mistakes which needed to be corrected. So I’ve put all recording into the musical section I’ve created with Music Maker program and mixed all down into a song (rap). Now there was a question to whom to present the whole thing in order to get some feedback and possible proof reading so I’ve gathered a small team around me to the private premiere of the whole thing where we discussed everything and with the help of all gathered I’ve managed to do the corrections if even that meant to re-record the whole thing again.

I thought I was too late for the party though, thinking that it was announcred to be at the end of April already so the video was even not an option for the party in the first place but finding out it’s still a month to go before the party begins I gave it a try.

So the searching for additional material, video-recording, rehersaling, putting video together, masking, covering, cutting and what’s more to it began in really mad pace hunting the dedline of a week prior the party to catch.

Now I’m super happy I could make it with the huge help of gathered small team aboard and the star behind the scene who organized the whole thing party-wse @siaronjames. And I’m super-grateful I could make all present at the party happy with the gift I’ve planned to give. The gratitude is all mine to all of you - team gathered around me, party-goers, SSiW staff and you here on the forum who bare with me each and every day I come on.

And the produce of the “challenge”?

You can read all about it and see the video itself in the Post party Chat (including Tatjana appreciation) but for all of you who rather listen than watch here’s only audio version of the Rap also.

I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I did creating it and as much as those at the party did.

And of course the next challenge will be in store for me in less than 2 years again (I hope). :slight_smile:

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Wow, Tatjana, that was great. I saw it on big screen media at the Parti and loved it. Thanks for all of your hard work in making this.

3 Likes

Thank you very much.

I’m sorry only I couldn’t see how it feels to see this thingy on the big screen and meet all of you there of course.

but here we go to another 10! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After quite some time - from the time the big SSiW rap was made and presented publicly at the party, there were no particular big challenges (Cymraeg wise) for me until November last year (2019). But now when all shaped up and was published, here I am with my new big challenge:

Challenge Number 24 - video for the S4C Dysgu Cymraeg

It all came so suddenly, unexpected and was rdeally a big surprise to me that I’ve got their invitation to record the video at all so first thing here to do is to thank @neilrowlands for suggesting them I might be the one to record a small video for them.

What to record, what to say was my first question and since I don’t have any praticular tips and strategies of how to learn, I was a bit lost. However, with some suggestions from Rhiannon (who contacted me from S4C) I finally produced something fearing it won’t match their expectations at all, but obviously it did and filming more material than neccessary (yah, you know me, I never can do things short way) they had enough material for mixing down and cutting off. So here’s my video after their brilliant work on it!

i wanted to make the whole video outdors but the weather was just horrible those days and I hardly could grab one more or less sunny midday to record a short thing. (How strange that always when I want to record something outdoors it rains madly until I go for alternative and it stops! :slight_smile: )

To the disappointment to some of you who know me, there’s still the simplest ever language I use without many shortenings and such things and I speak eitha slow what can appear a bit like I’d be a total beginner. :slight_smile: Well, but the challenge which was put in front of me and not set by myself, was done in (kind of) domastic style. :slight_smile:

The video was published 11 days ago so I hope it won’t be anything wrong if I share it here now.

And now … to the next challenge some time in the future who knows when and where. :slight_smile:

Hwyl! :slight_smile:
Tatjana

8 Likes

:star2::star2::star2:

2 Likes

Fantastic - I love it! :man_cartwheeling: :partying_face: :sunny:

Brilliant @tatjana

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you both.

And thanks to who liked the post. :slight_smile:

Da iawn ti! Very well done, tatjana!

1 Like

Oh very well done, Tatjana! :clap:

Rumours that someone in Slovenja had been asked to do a video for S4C sysgu cymraeg had gone as far as Italy. And I kinda supposed who’d that be. :wink:
But I didn’t know you had actually done it and it had been published. So thanks for sharing, it’s always inspiring to see fellow learners daring to take this kind of challanges! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

I seem to understand you didn’t really have a set of questions, am I right?

1 Like

I’d done my best @margarethall. Thank you.

Thank you very much.

Ooo … this is something I didn’t know. :slight_smile:

Well, it took me the time to do it as I wanted to do it outdors and the rain pured down madly the whole (almost) 2 weeks so I had to hunt the deadline at the end (just like it was the case with my rap also). Then it took some time for it to be published too since there was Christmas amongst everything and they have to put other things up. I almost thought it isn’t good enough material to do anything from it but then surprisingly, here we are with the end “product” of the whole thing.

There were two options given: video with tips and “tricks” you use to learn or simply Vlog about something. Rhiannon kindly suggested to me to tell something about Slovenia and so I did it. I wanted to go for a walk and show around but the rain did it’s work. But fortunately I have huge amount of my own photos from around the country so I included them into the video which made some impression to producers too.

And yes, you’re right. There were no pre-set questions and the choice in specific about what I’d say was totally left to me.

All in all (to @aran’s relief) I can say I’m (kind of) satisfied with the thingy. But more I love how they put it together. They did huge amount of work with picking the right things out of the almost 5 minutes of material I’ve sent.

So, now, since you’re my neighbour (country wise) it could be your turn. :slight_smile:

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:grimacing:
Yeh…gotta think a bit more about what to say though!

1 Like

Brilliant, Tatjana, really well done! Llongyfarchiadau! Da iawn ti! :tada: :star: :star: :star: :tada:

1 Like

Thank you @AnnaC. Well, as always, it could be better, but let’s say I’m kind of satisfied with the thing.

1 Like

Tatjana, you’re an inspiration to all those of us who are hopelessly self-critical, because you go ahead and do things anyway! A great little video which will encourage people to learn Welsh and to visit beautiful Slovenia. I look forward to hearing about your next challenge, and it’s making me think it’s about time I set myself one, too…

3 Likes

Thank you @BronwenLewis. I just hope the video would really encourage people to learn Welsh but I’m not sure though. I also hope more people could see from this little video that our country is beautiful in deed and bring some good memories to those who already visited it.

I’m not sure about your challenges but as much as I could follow your activities, youve passed many of them already. You help people to get started to speak and this way use the language they learn - Welsh and there surely were some other challenges you’ve done in the past. The greatest challenge - bootcamp - you’ve done superbly and you speak Welsh (as much as I could hear) much better than I ever will. So, good job! I don’t doubt you’ll think something uneque to you to do as a challenge though and I’d be glad to hear about it. So, looking forward to what comes next.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes