My grandad was Welsh and left this telegram in his WW2 bible. Could anyone translate?

1 Like

Hi @robert-26. Do you think you could copy it again, but a bit flatter. Can’t really see what’s at the right edge of the letter.

1 Like

There are a couple of words I can’t see (indicated by brackets), but here’s the rest.
Braichmelyn, Penbryn, Pen Clwt and Bryn Meurig are place names so I haven’t translated those words.

My Dear Friend,
How are things? I hope you are alright. Every meeting, and this is very genuine, it is asked about you all. I desire God to shelter your body and your soul, because we know how it is over the (sea?). We are pleased to hear that you are still at it.
Well, it’s still much the same here. Anglesey is quiet, far. Sometimes the sound of the river Llafar. The quarrymen walking along Braichmelyn at night. Voices of children playing in Penbryn School. Albert’s bus coming and going. Pen Clwt as usual, Bryn Meurig woods full of quiet leaves. The old Ogwen valley is the same, very nearly. Hurry back, to your home and to your chapel.
The sparrows, usually,
Tweeting by the door;
And the River Ogwen is still
Flowing prettily slow:
Before long you will see —
May that be very soon:
If a shower is had in the morning,
Sunshine will come in the afternoon!
Cheerio: “God be with you.” Shelter, Strength, Peace.
Regards and love of your Church. Sincerely, (signature?)

7 Likes

I reckon that “Os cafod geir y bore” is “If a shower is had in the morning”. Ceir is the passive form of cael and cafod is a variation of cawod.

Well spotted! I thought my version didn’t make sense somehow. I’ll amend it now :slight_smile:

1 Like