NAFOW 2022 in Philadelphia Aug 31 - Sept 4

This year’s North American Festival of Wales will take place in Philadelphia on September 1-4.
Room reservations are open already and festival registration will be opening soon.

Go to the NAFOW website for more information.

4 Likes

Once again, it’s time to enter the Eisteddfod of The North American Festival of Wales! There are several opportunities to compete, for those attending #NAFOW in Philadelphia (Aug. 31 – Sept. 4) or not, including:

• POETRY COMPOSITION: Welsh Language and English Language, both for Adults (age 18+) and Youth (ages 11-17), each with a $250 grand prize. Entry deadline: JULY 22.

• STAGE COMPETITIONS (Sat., Sept. 3 in Philadelphia): Solo Voice / Semi-Professional (for the Welsh North America Prize and a $3500 scholarship to travel to compete in Wales next year); Hymn Singing; Welsh Language Recitation and English Language Recitation. Entry deadlines: AUGUST 22 for singing competitions, no deadline for recitation competitions.

• VISUAL ARTS: For popular viewing & voting in Philadelphia. Entry deadline (for title/description): AUGUST 22.

• LIMERICK COMPOSITION: Something new & fun for Festival attendees… look for more updates at the webpage!

Click on the link for all the information and links you’ll need to enter… and for any questions please write to eisteddfod@nafow.org !

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🎉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🎉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🎉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

http://festivalofwales.org/eisteddfod-competition.html

And it’s here! Today marks the first day of the North American Festival of Wales 2022 being held in Philadelphia! Who will be going?

Here’s the main Festival of Wales webpage where you can get an overview of what’s on.

But as well as NAFOW, Philadelphia is holding a whole Welsh Week. It started on 27 August and runs until Sept 4th to coincide with the NAFOW events.

To see what the Philadelphia Welsh Week offers you, have a look at their webpage.

But look what’s on the agenda for Friday!!

Fri Sep 2, 2022
5:00-6:00 pm
~ Say Something in Welsh Meet up ~ at DoubleTree by Hilton Center City, 237 S Broad Street,
Free entry for holders of a North American Festival of Wales *Day Pass ($35 per day) available here. Youth 18 and under or with student ID ~ Free.

Shwmae, bawb! Many apologies for not having posted about NAFOW before this.

I’m on the board of the WNAA, the organization that puts it on, and more important I host the “SSIW taster sessions” at NAFOW every year. I do a short simulation of the SSImethod to show people how the courses work, and then generally lead a discussion about learning Welsh — resources, tips, etc. They’re fun, and I always need a “second voice” in my simulation, so please do come, or grab me and say hi anytime all weekend!

Also, I’ll have a SSIW table set up in the “marketplace,” but won’t be sitting there often because I’ve got other responsibilities. If you know and love SSIW, please feel free to hang out at the table and tell people about it!

1 Like

An email came in from a SSiW learner (A.C.) over the weekend:

As it happens, I was in Philadelphia for the filming of HBO Max’s “The Gilded Age, Season 2”. Our group (we’re background actors) we’re also staying at the Double-Tree Inn which is directly across the street from where we were filming at The Academy of Music.

What a surprise to find NAFOW at the hotel as well.

As a (struggling) beginner learner in Welsh, it gave a chance, albeit short, to try out my Welsh… and hopefully relit the spark to try again…