Native Welsh speaker using Dwi'n eisiau

No my point was that he may not have heard the difference. He expected to hear “Dw i’n”, therefore, he heard “Dw i’n”. So he wouldn’t have noticed. Add in a bit of cognitive dissonance and bingo, we have a cornered person. Someone who will be adamant.

My Dad was convinced Hot Chocolate was singing to a milkman and heard “I believe in milko” to the point that he laughed when he saw “miracles” written down. Also, when he was a primary school teacher (a very short lived career for my Dad) he tells a story of the headmaster commenting that none of the Children could spell February he started to disagree before Dad noticed his own first line on the blackboard…cognitive dissonance again!

1 Like

I see. And I do take your point - but I just still doubt that a NATIVE speaker could constantly and consistently hear dw i eisiau as ‘dw i’n eisiau’ - they are quite distinctive because of that nasal element (and all the more prominent because it precedes a vowel, by the way. ) He’d also NEVER see it written!

Of course not, that’s your middle name! :wink:

2 Likes

Isn’t that Aran? :wink:

1 Like

Talking about “Y Talwrn” not always being deadly serious, last Sunday’s episode was a particularly fine example:

The two teams in this case were “Gogs” and “Hwntws”, and the first part was given over to a comparison of gogs and hwntws.

The highlight though was a parody (by both teams) of Dafydd Iwan’s “Yma o hyd”.

Available for 27 days at the time of writing (06.07.2017)

3 Likes

Diolch @mikeellwood I’d never have heard this without your posting. I understood very little, but hunted out the Parody and greatly enjoyed it! The odd bits of Saesneg were clearly totally acceptable in context. Open mindedness rules! :sunny:

why though? That’s what I want to know. If possible.

Because eisiau is an exception to the way most verbs and verb-nouns in Welsh behave - as well as not taking yn (and wedi), it doesn’t have a stem form and doesn’t take endings like others do, e.g. if you see a house sign in Welsh that says Gwerthwyd, it means Sold, and gwerth is the stem form and -wyd is an ending, but as eisiau doesn’t behave like that, in classified or job adverts (and only in these) it needs the yn.
Moyn always needs the yn because it is a verb and behaves 'normally.

3 Likes

The dw I isio dw i’n moyn thing remind me of my favourite revenge on Welsh speakers - I like to ask them grammar questions. Always the same response, stunned silence, head turned to the right, start mouthing silently then maybe an answer. I was talking to a fellow Scarlets fan we met in Treviso last year and told him I prefer moyn because you use the linking yn. He went quiet, turned to the right, started mouthing to himself then said “yeah you’re right”.

I think it’s only fair to punish these people for having what we want so dearly just through luck of birth - in the nicest possible way of course.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Sorry to go back to this but Is there the slightest chance that it could have been Dwi’m isiau? For - I don’t want.
Just that the The lady that was being interviewed in Beti ai bobl (Siri Wigdel?) A few minutes ago, Said it a few times and I had to think twice, that she meant I dont want, not - I want :grinning:

dwi’m isio is fine although usually the sound is different to what dwi’n isio (incorrect though it is) would sound like - the m makes the i sound like it does in the English ‘whim’ whereas using an n would make it sound like the English ‘ween’.

1 Like

Entirely plausible, I would say! I think you may have cracked it, John! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I found her interesting from the point of view of when @aran starts button-holing people about exactly what they mean by words like “bilingual”. I’d love to have her fluency, her range of vocabulary, her obvious comfortableness with the language - even her accent - but I think she did the entire interview in the present tense. It was a bit… disconcerting :slight_smile:

1 Like