New Joiner

Hi Alan

Many thanks - yes I think the Winchester group has gone - found them on the map but the organiser/contacts last entry was that he’d moved to Wales.

I’ll get in contact with the CACEN group though

Diolch

Richard

Prynhawn Da pawb. I joined today and I hope this will help me as well as my Course with Glamorgan Uni. My three children are bilingual and I have wanted to learn Welsh since they were young…So now is my time…

4 Likes

Croeso @jane-llewellyn-willi, and good luck with your learning journey. Don’t forget that the forum is always here for you to ask questions or share any difficulties as you go along.

2 Likes

Hello. I am very new to posting anything - almost as challenging as learning Welsh!
I am really enjoying this method of language learning - so different from school French lessons in the 1960’s - not a good memory!
My father and grandfather were born in Barry. Great grandfather came to Barry from just over the border by Offa’s Dyke and taught himself Welsh. He loved music and was conductor of a male voice choir in Barry. So although I have never lived in Wales apart from visiting grandparents I feel an emotional connection. We have holidayed in Pembrokeshire for the last 30 years and I would like to at least be able to pronounce Welsh place names better - but of course it would be lovely to do more!

4 Likes

Hi @susanna. Welcome to the world that is SSIW! Apart from frying your brain, I’m happy to assure you that you’ll be able to do a lot more than learning how to pronounce place names.

Thanks Margaret. Actually I have been wondering how to say “My brain is fried” or words to that effect in Welsh - I will need it!

1 Like

Dw i’n moyn siarad Cymraeg yn dda. Dw i’n barod i ddechrau yma.

2 Likes

In a culinary / Hannibal Lecter sense you could probably say “mae fy ymennydd wedi ffrio”. I’ll leave it to others to suggest a better translation of the idiom.

Croeso a problem lwc / Welcome and good luck.

1 Like

Good afternoon
I’m Viv a new joiner. I am from Tredegar in the Howy Valley but have lived in the West Country (mostly Swindon) for many years. My wife and I hope to move to Wales next year, so I’m motivated to get some of the language under my belt before we do! I also hope I can cheer on Wales in the 6 Nations…in Welsh.

2 Likes

Hi, ive just joined the course. I live in mid Wales. Have lived her since I was 12yrs old. Im now 62. I thought it was about time I learned. I work as a community carer; and love the idea of being able to chat to my Welsh service users in their mother tongue. Looking forward to learning more sentences. Thank you for having me. :smiley:

5 Likes

Croeso mawr i ti @karen-61! A big welcome to you! :slight_smile:

Hi Cardiff born - now in exile. Finally trying to learn some Welsh as a new life skill.

3 Likes