New learner saying hello

Hi! I am very excited to have finally signed up for this, after thinking about it for a few months! My husbands first language is Welsh, and he actively uses Welsh with his friends and Mam. My eldest daughter has just started meithrin, and my limited vocabulary of food types, counting, animals and colours is no longer enough!

Hoping this will help me to build sentences so I can converse confidently with my family and the teachers!

8 Likes

Croeso Kayleigh, a warm welcome to the forum.
Youā€™re on the right place to learn quickly to chat with your family. Good luck with the course and if you have any question or if you want us to know about your progress, please come to the forum and tell us :slight_smile::slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Kayleigh! Sounds like youā€™ve got a built-in support system right there in your own family! Keep us posted on how youā€™re doing, and never hesitate to ask any questions you might have! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome Kayleigh,

Wow what an environment for learning - fantastic. It will be really interesting to know how you get on - let us know,

:slight_smile:

Rich

1 Like

A very warm welcome to the forum, Kayleigh, and good luck with the courseā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome a croeso! :grinning:

1 Like

Bitten the bullet - now looking forward to really learning properly, having dipped in and out a few times.

1 Like

Shw mae pawb

Just wanted to say hello.

Iā€™m 49, and Iā€™ve recently moved back to my hometown of Tenby in Pembrokeshire after many years in Cardiff. I grew up in ā€œLittle England Beyond Walesā€ and didnā€™t have a single Welsh lesson. However, my mother (from Llanelli ) speaks Welsh and my grandmother was fluent.

I have ā€œabsorbedā€ a certain amount of Welsh therefore (I can often get the overall thrust of a conversation) and done some evening classes many years ago, but Iā€™ve long wanted to speak it properly. Iā€™m excited about this opportunity. I love Wales (for all its faults) and particularly enjoy walking in the mountains - I feel speaking Welsh properly will connect me even more to those beautiful places.

9 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum, Simon - looking forward to hearing how the course goes for you - and please donā€™t ever hesitate to ask for help when you hit any of the tough patchesā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Croeso Simon,
youā€™ve come to the right place if you want to learn to speak Welsh. And youā€™ve come to the friendliest forum. I wish you all the best for your learning and donā€™t forget to enjoy yourself.
Have fun

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr Aran a Brigitte

Looking forward to getting started and involved in the community.

Aran - Iā€™ve been aware of SSIW for some years. Did you use to post on Gwlad rugby? I just have a vague recollection you were on there. Iā€™m not into rugby these days, but still post there about other stuff.

1 Like

Welcome, Simon! Have fun with your Welsh, and let us know how you are doing. Never hesitate to ask any questions - thereā€™s always someone around with the answers :slight_smile:

Diolch yn fawr Anna :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sut Mae. Iā€™m starting this Mondays course. Looking forward to gaining some confidence to use the welsh I already know, learning how to use it and learn more.
My husband and family are 1st language welsh and my kids all speak welsh, now the grandchildren are learning in Meithrin, so itā€™s time I pulled my finger out and got on with it.
I do understand quite a bit, but confidence speaking is my problem. The SSIW system seems like itā€™ll suit me - fingers crossed.:crossed_fingers::smile:

5 Likes

Croeso cynnes iawn iā€™r fforwm, @annie-davies - a warm welcome to the forum!

Hopefully youā€™ll gain your needed confidence, and if you have any questions, donā€™t hesitate to ask - this forum is full of people willing and able to help you.

Pob lwc - good luck!

2 Likes

Welcome, Annie! SSiW is all about speaking, so hopefully it will be a great way to get you where you want to go. We are all here to support you. Pob lwc! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr :blush:

2 Likes

Hello and welcome, Annie!

I knew a lot of Welsh when I started the SSiW course but my problem was that I couldnā€™t get it out fast enough in a real conversation. Working through the challenges didnā€™t really teach me anything new, but it greatly increased my confidence and meant that I could respond promptly without a lot of agonising thought. Iā€™m sure it will do the trick for you too.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr Margaret.

1 Like

Did indeed, for many, many years - whatā€™s your username over there? :slight_smile: