New online Welsh book group

Having read both, I would agree.

1 Like

Hi Neil. I like the idea of this online book club. I am an avid reader of Welsh books. My favourite Welsh authors are Bethan Gwanas, Gareth W. Williams and Marlyn Samuel. I read ā€˜Sgwpā€™ about a year or so ago and enjoyed it.
Like Robert Iā€™ve always been a big fan of Asterix and have now read four Asterix books in Welsh.
Anffodus iawn, fel Jenny, I have no experience or idea of how the Hangouts work.
Hwyl, Cris

2 Likes

Sā€™mae Carin,
Is there anyway of working out which books are suitable for beginners?
Diolch,
Gareth

Sorry Gareth I canā€™t tell which are suitable for learners either. I think you can search within the site for books suitable for levels beginner to advanced on the left. Hope this helps a bit. From my own selection of books which Iā€™ve picked up in the car boot sale in Llansteffan I have ā€œArian am Ddimā€ Bob Eynon, ā€œHen Ffrindiau, Hen Gelwyddauā€ Pat Clayton, ā€œAderyn Y Nosā€ Pat Clayton and ā€œGofal Dysgwyrā€ again by Pat Clayton. These are marked for learners. I have yet to read them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://parallel.cymru/amdani/?lang=en
Hereā€™s a link to an article on Parallel Cymru about the Amdani series of books written especially for learners at different levels. I found this to be really useful as Iā€™d previously randomly tried other books and found them to be so far beyond my level it was dispiriting. A year ago I couldnā€™t read Am Ddwirnod. Since then Iā€™ve managed, among others several at Mynediad level, one at Sylvaen and am currently on my second at Canolradd. I can also recommend SGWP, EFfrindiau and Ffenestri. Most importantly, Iā€™m enjoying it because itā€™s not TOO much of a struggle.

3 Likes

You would be very welcome! Basically, I will post a link on the day and if you click on it, you will enter a videoconference. It is pretty straightforward! Look forward to seeing you.

1 Like

One way of telling is that novels aimed at learners have vocabulary at the bottom of each page with the English translation. Lois Arnoldā€™s books are great for beginners!

2 Likes

Diolch Jenny - that is really helpful!

1 Like

For this reason @neil-pyper Neil, Iā€™ll be stunned if you walk into the Litten Tree pub in Coventry tomorrow at some time between 6 & 7pm to see me there (I hope I can get there on time!). However if it should happen you would be most welcome.

Meeting @andyjone and possibly @mintonman and others has been an important part of my staying with the Welsh, and you may find more book club recruits. This isnā€™t the usual Wednesday evening, since in most months it happens on the 2nd Wednesday.

As you may enjoy a family Saturday excursion as the daylight hours extend, I think we ought to draw your attention to Saturdays at the Wyevale Garden Centre near Rugby, same instigators, but with extra Midlanders!

Finally, families who sing together, zing together, so keep a look out for participatory music events such as this Cymanfa Codi'r TĆ“ in Coventry

Hwyl fawr!

1 Like

Hi Garteth!

If you have time, I would advise browsing this Welsh Book Club thread, where youā€™ll find suggestions on all kinds of Welsh books for all levels of learner - there are some fabulously detailed reviews in there and I think youā€™ll enjoy the journey of discovery it takes you on.

3 Likes

Very unfortunately, I am teaching tomorrow evening. It is a shame, as I will actually be in Coventry (and am staying in an Airbnb near the university)!

1 Like

Tro arall!:cry: Dw iā€™n falch bod gen ti Mr Chuckles fel cwmni da :rofl:!

1 Like

I visited Carmarthen Free Books yesterday (Friday) So many book in welsh in there and 3 books are free with I think Ā£1 each for extra ones. Wow what an array of books in Cymraeg. Highly recommended for books and all sorts of things. I think it was Lorna who recommended it. So thank you I wouldnā€™t have known about it otherwise and Iā€™m down Llansteffan a lot.

2 Likes

I think it must have been some other Lorna, not me, @carin-harris
although I think Carmarthen is lovely! Also, Iā€™m really glad you have found a heaven on earth, such experiences are fortifying :+1:t3::heart:!

1 Like

@carin-harris

Itā€™s the sort of place I would recommend, and I think I have, but canā€™t find any evidence that I did. It has got a very extensive Welsh language session. I would check that they are going to be open if youā€™re coming from a distance as they rely on volunteers. Today they were closed because they had a very large donation yesterday which arrived just before closing time and they were two volunteers down today.

2 Likes

Thank you @lornarhodes @margaretnock. I know I saw a recomendation on the forum somewhere but couldnā€™t recall who, so thought it may have been Lorna due to the other links shared. Anyway Iā€™m grateful, itā€™s a little haven of everything under the sun, I could have stayed in there for hours, well it was an hour anyway lol looking through all the books, some way too advanced for me at the moment, and some Iā€™m hoping I can make sense of. Iā€™ll def be popping back in as Iā€™m down there a lot and always mooching about the town. Diolch unwaith eto.

2 Likes

Dw iā€™n darllen ā€˜Sgwpā€™ ar hyn o bryd, about page 8 so far, a dw iā€™n e joiso yn fawr iawn. Dw iā€™n ffeindio bod mae eisiau fi look up a couple of words per page but I can still get the gist, which is gwych!
Looking forward to joining the hangout discussion on Mon, Feb 24th :slightly_smiling_face: Diolch I pawb.

2 Likes

Hey Neil, et al,

I love This idea and, luckily, wnes i brynu sgŵp mis Mehefin diwethaf pan oniā€™n yng Nghymru i ddathluā€™r parti penblwydd SSIW. Nawr, amser iā€™w ddarllen!

So i imagine you will post info on how to join the Google hangout as the date approaches?

Diolch yn fawr am trefnu hyn! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I will - I will put the link on WSP, though will post it on here as well, in case anyone is not on WSP.

1 Like

I can also put a reminder in the weekly email that week, Neil. :slight_smile:

2 Likes