New online Welsh book group

Well, cheapest isn’t always best IMHO! :slight_smile: And I prefer to support local wherever I can (and not to fuel the monster Amazon). There’s a nice feature on gwales where they pay commission to a local bookstore in Wales of your choice :slight_smile:

Y Lolfa is free delivery for over £10 too.

1 Like

Hi everyone

I am so sorry for my recent radio silence. My job has got a lot more demanding recently because of issues around teaching and supporting students online. Combined with family life under current circumstances, I must confess that quite often I struggle to focus on anything else.

Anyway, I am keen for the book group to continue, and @JohnYoung has made the excellent suggestion of reading this:

Is everyone else happy with it? I must also confess that I am not a massive rugby fan, but I have long been a fan of Nigel Owens and would love to read more about him. I understand that the level of the book is suitable for learners.

I am going to see whether I can get the man himself to attend the hangout. I know he responds to Tweets, and was wondering whether @aran, @CatrinLliarJones or @beca-brown might know whether this is feasible. It is probably best not to confirm dates until we know whether this is a possibility.

I look forward to your thoughts and will be in touch once I have tried to contact him.

I hope you are all staying safe and well.

All the best

Neil

2 Likes

Ooooh good idea! I have no contacts with him personally, but I know @aran is a rugby fan and friend of the stars…!

1 Like

Great! I Tweeted him and have not had a response. I know he must get a lot of requests like this, and don’t want to be a nuisance. @aran, do you think it is worth pursuing this further? In any case, shall we organise a hangout in about 4-6 weeks?

1 Like

Hi everyone

Unfortunately, but perhaps predictably, I have not heard from Nigel Owen, but in any case am keen to organise the hangout. I have two questions:

1. Are people happy with this book?

2. How would people feel about a hangout during the day? I have a side business teaching online, which means that evenings are tricky unless I block out my diary well in advance (and forego earnings). My day job is quite flexible, which means that organising something in a morning or afternoon would be ideal (I am likely to be on annual leave in much of June anyway).

I look forward to peoples’ thoughts.

Hope everyone is safe and well!

Pob hwyl

Neil

I’m too far behind at the moment to take part @neil-pyper, but I have put a note onto WSP #clwb-darllen channel so people there are aware that you’re asking…

People enjoying this thread would also appreciate ‘The SSiW Welsh Book Club’ thread, I reckon…
:books:

Hi @neil-pyper :grinning:,
the book about Niger Owen loooks promising - I know very little about rugby, but it’s the thing in Wales, so I heard - definitely great to learn something new .
As for the time - is Saturday or Sunday a possibility? For me it would be a struggle to find time on a morning or afternoon during the working week.

Anyway, I will try to adjust myself to any time slot proposed, if possible. The last two books very a great help in learning more words in Welsh.

1 Like

Hi @neil-pyper - I see the book @JohnYoung actually has is C’mon Reff :

“Hi All. It was C’mon Reff that I bought. That’s the Amdani learner version adapted by Elin Meek. However, Nigel Owens original looked ok to read from the sample that I saw. The Amdani version seems easier than Beca’s book that we read last. So I guess either version should be OK.” (WSP #clwb-darllen)

So is it actually a choice between the two?

1 Like

Ah - apologies! Let’s go with that one, as it is meant for learners. I am about to start teaching, so will look at my diary and suggest some dates, probably tomorrow.

Cheers

Neil

3 Likes

Just had one more go at getting Nigel Owens interested in joining us. I will let you know if it works! If not, let’s go ahead and arrange the next hangout anyway! (I also need to start reading the book!)

Nigel Owens has said yes, if we can arrange a suitable date! I am going to email him to try to do this. I will let you know when I have more details. Exciting!!!

1 Like

Hi all, especially @neil-pyper I’m confused! Not sure which book we’ve decided to read - Hanner Amser neu C’mon Ref. I haven’t got either yet :worried:Help! Diolch.

Hi Jenny

We have decided on C’mon Ref, as this one is written specifically for learners.

Thanks @neil-pyper. I’d better hurry up and get a copy!

Hi All

Still no reply from Nigel Owens about his availability for a hangout. I have just sent another email.

I will keep you all posted!

Pob hwyl

Neil

Diolch for the update @neil-pyper. No hurry on my part. I’m only about half way through at the moment!

1 Like

Here’s a list of Welsh bookshops that are open for online/postal business! Hwre! :slight_smile: http://www.books.wales/newyddion-news/news-detail?id=13350

3 Likes