New Year's Resolution - Aged Dragon's Quest!

I think what threw me was the use of tasech before it. Chdi is in the very first level, so just never encountered it before in this way…more patterns…it’s all good.

1 Like

Decided , with no comments on the subject to,try 3.04. I thought mae is used before the subject except in questions. But we seem to be putting’ydy’ roughly where ‘is’ would go in English? “The problem is to be more open”. I started that with Mae’r problem but @aran you said “y problem ydy …” which threw me totally. Help?

I’m not sure of the exact reason but basically it’s emphasis.

Pete ydy fy enw i. For example.

Hen ddraig wyt ti. [Note the use of two words not as a name!!! :wink: ]

So in the above it’s like THE PROBLEM is …

Or something like that!

1 Like

New structure. Don’t worry about it… :slight_smile:

[In other news, what Pete said.]

3 Likes

Idiot yma! I knew about stress, but didn’t think that sentence needed it!

Going very slow with 3.04! Brain not working! Doing excellent job of forgetting! Giving up for now!

Any time you don’t feel like it, don’t do it - that’s fine… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@aran I am confused by changes in word order in 3.04! Oh, when you said ‘even’ I thought, in what sense? v odd? v uneven ground? Like but? But then, the sentences seemed to,mess with word order very oddly! Are there any rules here? Going off to put cold compress on brow!

What’s the rule about where to put ‘even’ in an English sentence? :slight_smile:

Ok. I can’t remember your sentences, but clearly, I can say, “the dogs must have their walk, even when it rains.” Or “even when it rains, the dog…” but if someone gave me that in Welsh as “hyd yn oed pan mae hi’n bwrw glaw…” sorry for bad translation - I wouldn’t think to,then to move the “even” clause to the end of the sentence!
@aran checked, even before i answer became before I answer even, which in English makes little sense, so I think such difference needs some explanation! The next sentence keeps even at the beginning!

Actually, if you listen carefully to the spoken language, you’ll very often hear people say things like:

‘Before I answer, even’. Completely normal.

We’ll have to differ on the methodology, then…:wink:

1 Like

I just use it where i think it fits. Even i think thats ok

1 Like

Diolch both! I suspect I am showing my age and upbringing! Effect of Grammar School education in the 1950s!! People may say ‘before I answer even’, but it is not something I can imagine saying. I cannot conceive of a situation where I could use it. Whereas, even before I answer I know you will dismiss what I say!!! :imp: :sunny:

No, nobody’s doing that - nobody’s telling you that you ought to change how you speak English - just that the same kind of ‘must learn all the rules’ won’t be the most effective way for you to become a confident Welsh speaker, which is what we all want you to achieve… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mae’n ddrwg gen i! I didn’t mean that literally, it just popped up as an example! I did put my ‘naughty imp’ picture by it! But I think I’m right that, if there is no rule for Welsh which makes what I say naturally wrong, then I can carry on regardless of what you have said in 3.04!!??
ps Is that always you in Level 3? Because it sounds much more Gog in the first demo for a word than the rest of the Challenge!

1 Like

No - the female voice is Catrin.

:wink:

2 Likes

So, clever clogsy Athro, the male voice is always you???

1 Like

Wel, o’r diwedd, dw’i wedi gorffen 3.04! At least I heard all of it and said some of it, but I can’t claim more than that!

1 Like

Surely

Clywais i popeth a ddudais i rhai hyd yn oed

Surely

fedra i ddim honni hyd yn oed mwy na hynny

:wink:

No evens needed, but in 3.04 I did finally get one positioned right because it ‘felt’ right!
NOW will rhywun dweud wrtha i 3.05 neu 2.20?