New Year's Resolution - Aged Dragon's Quest!

eh? Like what? It’s possible you’re being a bit binary with the idea of southern/northern here… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that SSiW Northern is the Pen Llŷn variety of northern Welsh (but happy to be corrected).

OK, my memory has gone blank on this … what is the more technically correct phrase? (though perhaps it depends on context).

82 posts in here! Is this about ‘dweud iddo fo’? That would never be correct - ‘dweud wrtho fo’ is not just ‘technically’ correct, it is also overwhelmingly strong usage… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A new learning method!
Well, for me!
Just about 2 minutes into 1.20, “I am surprised at how much…” began @aran. My mind goes totally, utterly blank! I stop,the lesson. “Sudden? No.sunny?but what is how much? Not sut llawer. I start to look through past lessons. Find Synnu , but not how much. Finally listen to @aran’s next words…I missed Catrin. Dw’i synnu at faint…”
Of course Damn. Clearly not ready for 1.20. Go upstairs with folded washing to airing cupboard, then shower room to clean teeth. At some stage I realise “synnu at faint” Is echoing round my brain! I realise that, whatever I forget, “surprised at how much - synnu at faint” will be remembered!
So - new method of learning, get really angry!

1 Like

Sounds effective…:wink:

But allow me to suggest that the next time you’re absolutely floored, instead of heading off and trying to find it somewhere (which sort of undermines the point of it all!) you just shrug, find out what it was, and then observe the next few times it comes up and see if it starts to stick for you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I included it in my middle quote. :slight_smile:

Thanks Aran. I need to revise this area of Welsh (along with a few (dozen…hundred?) other bits, of course… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@aran bach, the whole point was that I was so angry with myself that I was unable to react rationally! It amazed me that, despite this, I still learned!

1 Like

Anger management in Welsh, now that is going to be a tricky subject.
I doubt you get angry with yourself more often than i get angry with myself, it’s part of what makes us what we are (it starts with, why do i fall over every time i try to stand up, and way over half a century later it still is with us (gess we are still trying to get off the ground at something )).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Wel, finished 1.20! See how I get on yfory with 1.21!

4 Likes

You have read what I say about mistakes, right?!

Don’t be angry with yourself about doing something difficult, and having the inevitable ‘out of my depth’ moments - that’s what learning is!

Do you get angry at all your mistakes?

2 Likes

Wrth cwrs! I’m human!

1 Like

Nope, that’s not about humanity, it’s about expectations. If you get angry at all your mistakes, you’re wasting a huge amount of emotional energy - and if you bring your intellect to bear on it, you’ll see it makes no sense at all…

You see, the lessons are designed to stretch you beyond your ability - if you went through a lesson without any mistakes, the only thing it would prove would be that you hadn’t actually learnt anything new in that lesson.

You’re meant to be making mistakes, because that shows that you’re learning - and actually helps with the learning process. So why be angry about them?!

2 Likes

OK. Point taken. Problem is probably tied up with my fear of Altzheimer’s. Logically i know being scared can’t help. Logically I know getting cross with myself doesn’t help, although it rammed home synnu at faint pretty well!!! :wink: I could say, “I’ll be less easily roused.” But I am what I am (who sang that?) and at 75, I don’t rate my chances of changing very high!!

1 Like

Huge amount of research on this as i’m sure you know. Practise doing what you can do and to be honest that’s all you can do.

Push yourself to achieve things slighty out of your grasp and soon you’ll have grasped them.

To have done more than a lesson a day is fantastic. You won’t have achieved that without stretching yourself.

The best students i have taught are the one’s who don’t give up, who learn from their mistakes and achieve.

The worst are the complacent ones.

Dal ati.

2 Likes

Read Norman Doidge’s ‘The Brain That Changes Itself’ - I remember a case steady in there of a 93 year old man who measurably changed the size of his corpus callossum… :slight_smile:

Maybe try saying ‘Aran would be saying WELL DONE right now’ every time you make a mistake?

2 Likes

I have this vision of a large dart board across the room and me ready with the arrows, Picture of someone on the board as target…now who would that be…??? :thought_balloon:
hint - it wouldn’t be me or @Pete2 !! :blush: :sob:
:imp:

You get angry when someone says ‘Well done’?

Oh John bach, I was quite unfazed as an infant. “Standing difficult? Why bother? I can get everywhere on my bottom!!”
I was very late walking! (I think I could read before I could walk!).- always had very dirty backside, though!

I do hope you’re not referring to toilet training :wink:

It does happen, and i’m afraid we often don’t notice/realise.

Yep, i have seen the reverse, a 3 year old running around quite happily but didn’t speak.

Case studies can produce some wonderful (valid) results.
DNA has the ability to produce more variables than there are stars in the universe, (i try to see them and often fail).

I once saw a group study of people that had voices in their heads continually criticising them, curiously, the one thing they all agreed on was the problem was better than the drugs which (prescribed) took the voices away, (because the drugs made them empty nobodies).
Can i feel like a failure at times, Yes ; because i cannot help such people.

Sorry if i went a bit extreme to illustrate a point. ( i enjoy the discussions on this forum from a fine group of individuals).
Cheers J.P.

3 Likes