New Year's Resolution - Aged Dragon's Quest!

Quick note - i kept, when saying, for example, my dog, to say fy nghi i . Today I found fy mam I used and realised why the extra ‘i’ kept popping into my head. I know we do not follow rules, but is there one for this?
Oh and 1.21 done yfory 1.22

1 Like

Nope, it’s just personal taste - you’ll probably tend to hear ‘fy nghi’ instead of ‘fy nghi i’ just because the double ‘i’ sound is a bit awkward - but it really is up to you which you go with… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, Bach, it was the outside of my clothes that got grubby!! :grinning:
To @ramblingjohn I think you were merely using a valid illustration.
To @aran I get cross if people praise me when I know I do not deserve praise! “Grrr”, I mutter, “Wait until I really do something worth praising!”

1 Like

But the thing is, if you make a mistake, you DO deserve praise - because it means you’re pushing the boundaries in EXACTLY the right way for you to become a confident speaker.

Seriously, ask Catrin how often I give undeserved praise. It just doesn’t happen.

In the final analysis, though, you will of course use the materials in whatever way suits you. I’m just trying to share my experience of helping people get there faster and more happily by pointing you in the direction of what works best.

2 Likes

Can one’s brain cease up and refuse to work, or is it impossible to do 1.22 with Toffi fed up, bored and distracting me every way she can? I hope the latter. Will give up. May not finish it today as must go out later.
Proceeding. I have a habit of saying ‘na’ for ‘that’ eg " dw’i gwbod 'na" would I be understood?

My favourite words, “dyna digon am rwan!” And @aran, you can still make me laugh sometimes! Managed, just, to (badly) finish 1.22! I even laughed out ‘rwan’ not ‘nawr’!

4 Likes

I completed the French course…I do not speak French and I lived there for 8 months. My foundations were so sandy after Michel Thomas that the building came crashing down around me when I tried to immerse. Fast forward 5 years and I found SSiW. By comparison I had reinforced granite before going on bootcamp.

3 Likes

That’s my favourite ever comparison of SSi to Michel Thomas… :star: :star2:

I think the first eight hours of the French course work pretty well, but the second set of five hours (used to be called the Advanced, maybe still is) struck me as very poor.

2 Likes

If I say, “Os ti’n barod” for “if you’re ready” will I be understood. Don’t know where it came from, but it came!
ps @aran done 1.23

3 Likes

Yes, because it’s right… :slight_smile:

[Okay, if you were writing it, you’d go for ‘os wyt ti’n barod’, but we’ve always elided there.]

2 Likes

@aran When having conversations with myself, I often grind to a halt on the little English word ‘so’! Of course, I can’t think of an example now, although ‘so what?’ might do, ‘I am learning so that I can improve’. ‘he was so fat!’…it has ‘so’ many meanings!! Any hints gratefully received! Oh, and I think I am already subscribing for Level 2, but is level 3 more?

1 Like

Just to butt in.

I’m learning so i can improve

I would say

Dwi’n dysgu er mwyn gwella

(I’m learning in order to improve)

So what?

Possibly…beth bynnag (whatever)

He was so fat

Maybe…oedd o’n mor dew

2 Likes

Diolch! ‘So’ it is English which is the problem for using one little word for far too many different things!!

2 Likes

Well maybe, i’m just trying to use the welsh i have to say the same sort of thing

Yes, this, exactly :slight_smile:

No, no extra charge for Level 3… :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s no good. I have to admit it. I am STILL getting my past tenses muddled up!

1 Like

I remember doing past tenses and future tenses and getting comletely mixed up with everything. Don’t worry. Move on and revisit. It will come together.

2 Likes

Diolch @Pete2 for encouraging example! @aran finished 1.24! Mind, you’ll be delighted to hear that my rendition was full of de Cymraeg, mistakes and memory lapses!

3 Likes

Well done - shows you’re pushing yourself. And your Welsh will have improved more in the time you’ve gone through Level 1 than all the rest of your time here… :star: :star2:

1 Like

That is certainly true! 1.25 yfory, 2.01 Dydd Llun!

3 Likes