New Year's Resolution - Aged Dragon's Quest!

I had always assumed nhw was a contraction of -nt hwy, given that verbs in the 3rd person plural (i.e. anything preceding hwy) would end -nt (like in Latin, too), but that the -n(t) hw(y) combination was a mouthful so it got contracted to -n hw and then the n somehow became part of the pronoun as well as the verb ending before it i.e. -n _n_hw. But maybe that’s just my brain trying to generate a speculative history to fill in the gaps.

2 Likes

The interesting thing about the -nt 3rd person plural verb ending is that the -t was dropped from pronunciation about a thousand (that number again: 1000) years ago - yet amazingly, on the media nowadays, it is returning, as a marker of (bogus) correctness…people saying ridiculous things like (for example) iddynt instead of actual Welsh iddyn nhw (well…iddyn nw, really!). The technical linguistic term for this kind of affectation is ‘genteelism’, and I find it as annoying in Welsh as in English. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I think the phrase is “unnecessary bollox” :wink:

2 Likes

There’s a lot of it about these days… :wink:

1 Like

It is a big problem for folk like me who don’t really know the way a native speaker does!

1 Like

Well that will come with time and practice, I am sure @henddraig - when I started out I didn’t know zip! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Crawled inaccurately through 2.05 with less and less emerging from mouth! Will need to repeat soon. When I hear “well done” at the end I know you don’t know how dreadful my execution has been! @aran

Nope, what you actually don’t know is how flexible the method is in terms of the threshold for learning - if you’re consistently getting less than 1 in 10 right, okay, let’s talk - but otherwise, you don’t need to repeat soon, you need to carry on with new material and let the spaced repetition work its magic… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep, on Sunday henddraig was thinking and self correcting mid- sentence same as we all did (and still do at times), felly dim broblem .

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Diolch!! I got Skype working on laptop today!
NB this iPad learns! I mistyped ‘today’ and it offered me Toffi! (My liitle poodle dog!)

1 Like

Wel, dw’i wedi gorffen 2.06. Sort of! Llawer of pause, brain ceised up! Flesh wounds? Oh, yes! Yfory, grwp Skype in evening. Not sure time for 2.07!

2 Likes

Just done 2.07! Thanks are due to @hilary and @OlwenR for encouragement! It was actually a tad better than 2.06!! @aran I admit, you were right!

2 Likes

Gwych! That’s fantastic! Well done. Onwards and upwards :slight_smile:

1 Like

Airways full of gunk. Nearly gave up 2.08, but remembered our three hardworking friends and just listened when I couldn’t utter. Like that finished 2.08!

2 Likes

Only just started 2.09. Stopped because voice tired and I want to have some left for a quick Skype with @seren this afternoon! Waiting eagerly to @lewie to sort out the vocabulary lists so their icon pops up for the rest of Level 2 Challenges!

1 Like

Oh dear! Poor .@seren. Spent a lot of time trying to see each other and then , about the sixth time I hit the icon, suddenly it worked! My mind was in bits by then. If I said one word of sensible Welsh, it was a miracle! Back to 2.09 after the News!

1 Like

Aha! I’ve caught up with you (with the Level 2 North vocabs, that is…)

2 Likes

O! Diolch diolch diolch yn fawr iawn! Bendigedig! A diolch @aran for telling @lewie!!

2 Likes

Dw i wedi gorffen 2.09 and I am so pleased to see the vocabulary icon on 2.10! No little encouraging messages, though! Are we too grown up for thos now? And @aran, I notice that @CatrinLliarJones talks naturally and quickly now, so she starts after me and ends, often, before me!

2 Likes

I wasn’t at my best today either, sorry! i hope we get another chance to talk))

1 Like