No pause available on Mozilla

I am using Mozilla 50.0 for Linux Mint. When you press to pause it just goes back to the start of the lesson but does not pause. Also the progress meter does not work so you can’t see how far you’ve got if you want to restart later.

Despite this I’m really enjoying the course - keep up the good work !

1 Like

On Linux Mint, I download the MP3 files of the lessons and then play back using VLC. I have used VLC so long that I almost forgot it probably isn’t set up out-of-the-box. But it’s a one-minute easy install with ‘sudo apt-get install vlc’ (or install using software manager if a graphical install process is preferred).

The default sound player may also work, but I have found VLC to be a reliable sound and video player across many Linux distributions, so I pretty much use it for everything.

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind words - really appreciate it!

Um… sorry for my ‘not knowing muchness’ on this - are we talking about using the website itself, or running one of the apps?

If it’s the former, I can pass it on to our dev (if it’s an app, I’ll have to make puppy dog eyes at one of our volunteers!) - but I think he uses a framework of some kind for the player, so it might be hard for us to fix directly… we can at least look into it, though - and thank you very much indeed for letting us know about it! :slight_smile:

Mozilla make the Firefox browser – what @davee52uk is referring to is effectively a version of Firefox, running on a particular Linux distribution, so we’re talking about the website. If it helps the dev, I’m running Mozilla Firefox 53.0.2 on Lubuntu (another Linux distro) and don’t have this issue (with Welsh – I haven’t tried Spanish). What I suspect that means in practice is that it’s a very niggly, specific problem that may be hard to reproduce or track down without going to the trouble of setting up a virtual machine that matches what the OP describes :frowning:

1 Like

With my Mozilla Firefox 51.0.1 for Ubuntu, I do not experience this problem either. Have you considered upgrading to the latest version of Mozilla?

1 Like

Who would have thought there were so many Linux users here! Hello from another.

I don’t use Firefox anymore though, so I haven’t got any helpful feedback.

3 Likes

Thanks very much for the input/insight, folks! @davee52uk - it would be really interesting to know if an upgrade fixes this… :slight_smile:

Chromium?

I suppose you could say that. I use a browser based on QtWebEngine, which is Chromium-based if I’m not mistaken.
Not for the faint of heart: https://qutebrowser.org/

1 Like

I see. A “keyboard driven, vim like browser”. I assume you have cold showers in winter, too. :slight_smile:
Seriously, though: do you see the pause weirdness in your browser?

2 Likes

Haha, it isn’t for everyone, I admit. Then again, my mouse barely works so trying to use it would be even more masochistic. I do recommend qupzilla, though - which is suitable for all. Basically a lightweight alternative to firefox.

No, it works fine. Both the normal audio ones and the new fangled video ones.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I’ll probably use VLC in the future as I already use it for playing videos.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! So clean.

1 Like

Would love to see someone running a grep on BBC News website :slight_smile:

1 Like