North Wales language app

Hi
Is there an app ( north wales language as i live on Ynys Mon) I can use that would help me - with understanding a Welsh word or meaning, spelling, translation etc .
Some people have suggested duolingo app, but I would prefer an app that relates to SSIW. Plus I don’t think it differentiates between North and South Wales.

Diolch yn fawr Laraine

1 Like

I have not but did buy the grammar book Y cyfeiriadur by Tony Ellis which covers North Wales.

Thanks Janette. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Look for “Ap Geriaduron” - certainly available on Android, not sure on apple. It is essentially a big dictionary for Welsh to English and English to Welsh

2 Likes

Ap Geiriaduron works on iOS as well. I use it a lot :grinning:

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

I find Ap Geiriaduron very useful. It’s provided by Bangor university but I don’t think it’s specifically gogledd.

1 Like

Yes I agree with you. Tried it a few times but disappointed with some results.

I sometimes use the Ap Geiriaduron (good for things like technical terms), but I mostly use the GPC (Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru - Dictionary of the University of Wales) - available online and as an Android app, presumably also iOS. It’s intended to be similar to the OED in scope & style, so it’s very compendious, including lots of rare & out of date forms (use with caution for English into Welsh), but it includes different regional forms & lots of variant spellings. Definitions are all given in Welsh first, so it can be used as a monolingual dictionary (Welsh-Welsh), followed by translation.

Failing that - if that doesn’t do the trick - could you post an example of something you’ve had trouble finding, so that people on the Forum can get an idea of how “correct” or how dialectal or how slangy it is, and maybe make other suggestions?

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s available as an app (I don’t ‘do’ apps!), but you can get the English-Welsh Geiriadur Yr Academi online, which is very comprehensive, gives examples of contexts and includes N/S variants of words.

1 Like