Northern luxury bootcamp 2016

And here I had always imagined that what happened at Bootcamp stayed at Bootcamp! I guess that’s not quite the case :wink:
I’m sure a lot of this came from some fried brains at the end of a long day, or else were the result of gwydraid neu ddau!

1 Like

I’m thinking of it as our version of those tablets of stone Moses had…:wink:

Aran’s list of bootcamp memories pretty much sums it up to be honest, no day by day reports from me this year you’ll be happy to know. With one or two exceptions every day followed roughly the same pattern, lesson, podcast, chat in pairs about the podcast, chat in a group about the chat in pairs about the podcast, another lesson, stuff and/or things in the afternoon, third lesson, chipmunks (listening practice at x2 speed) for half an hour and relax for the evening.

The afternoon stuff varied but included a lot of cake and icecream as was expected. A brief list of where we went (non exhaustive so please add to it):

• Saturday afternoon traditional trip to Pwllheli including the obligatory visit to Taro Deg.
  • Sunday dinner in Nant Gwrtheyrn followed by a stroll down to the beach and the start of Aran’s new dream of the best restaurant in Wales in the best Welsh retreat in the world.
  • Dinner in the Glyn y Weddw gallery including the birth of a couple of nicknames. Another stroll to the beach and a climb up to see the iron man again. Fantastic views as usual.
  • No bootcamp would be the same without Caernarfon, wondering around the shops, buying books, eating icecream, chatting to locals, then having a lovely, long afternoon sitting outside the Anglesey pub enjoying the views. Yes, that would have been lovely. :astonished:
  • Aberdaron was its usual picturesque self. Dinner overlooking the beach, icecream, stroll along said beach, buying cakes in y becws followed by a drive up to Uwchmynydd while Andrew ran home. Brilliant.
  • The last full day was spent in Portmeirion, a very off the wall mixture of architecture and art created by some bonkers bloke with a weird dream. I like it and cringe at it in equal measure. Icecream may have been eaten again. Thanks to Rob for arranging our free entrance. :+1:

Other quick adventures included a sunset hike up a mountain, a game of scrabble with the crew of Monty Python, a local pub chatting about a dramatic family tree and eating dogs, a lovely meal in Pwllheli for our last evening and more, so much more.

9 Likes

Hmmmmm… sounds familiar… :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

You were an absolute star as always. Diolch yn fawr iawn for coming to rescue me and a poorly Angharad - ti’n haeddu medal… :smile:

2 Likes

Rwan dwi wir isio medal go iawn.

3 Likes

I think it’s missing an incredulous “Cacen caws cath???”, while we’re remembering eating household pets.

2 Likes

Oh yes, good catch. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Back home after a lovely week. I’m hearing voices - Welsh ones. Anyway, it’s back to the usual stuff here, work etc till I’m back in Wales to the Machynlleth area in June.
Polly

8 Likes

I’ve just got back too, and am still experiencing similar symptoms. I can’t believe how incredible this last week has been, and think I’m having withdrawal tendencies too. Ferreting out podcasts to listen to at work - starting today. I can’t thank you all enough for your help and support. It was mind blowing.

8 Likes

If you get close enough for a panad in Pwllheli at any stage, do sing out… :sunny:

Whoo-hoo! :star: :star2:

3 Likes

Well, I’m back at work missing everyone, and missing Pen Llyn. I have read half of one of the books I bought in Caernarfon, though. I don’t have anything to add to Geraint’s summary of activities, other than to say that much more than the activities, Bootcamp is about the people and it was great to be with you all for a week. Chipmunks are a high price to pay, but a worthwhile one :wink:

5 Likes

The more I read the more I am aware how lucky you are to be there …

2 Likes

So there was a time before bootcamp (BBC) and a time after (ABC). My ABC has included speaking Cymraeg to members of my family more naturally than I could ever have imagined. Bootcamp was a rich, reflective, enjoyable, stomach-filling, mind expanding and sometimes quite challenging week. It was also great to do some hill running. Since the week I’ve completed level two and I am looking forward to (and looking for - where can we find it?) level three.
It was great to meet other lovers of the language and good to be able to put people to the names.
Many. many thanks Aran and Catrin for creating SSIW and making the bootcamp events happen.

7 Likes

That sounds like a result… :sunny:

Superb - absolutely delighted to hear that. The only way is up from here on!

Level 3 is at the framework done, content being built stage - which is a tough old stage at this point, but the wait shouldn’t be too long :sunny:

3 Likes

I have to (no I don’t have to but I do, wholeheartedly) agree that this was a fantastic week. The work was hard, but it was plain to see, as the week progressed, that we were all making significant progress, and many clearly increased in confidence (Well done @samholland Sam in particular).
The only small addition I’d add to @Gruntius list concerns the evening in the pub, which was remarkable for the amount of laughter, especially when some of us, fuelled by alcohol, tried to speak Welsh in something other than a Welsh accent (after eating the corgi!!!)

Withdrawal symptoms certainly began to set in once I’d recovered from the exertions of the week, although I had a quick “fix” this morning with the local U3A “grwp clebran”

Thank you all for your company, although thanks to @Aran are a little more muted after what he put us through. (I’m sure he’ll be glad to hear this - masochistic little bxxxxxd)
Dwi’ndrych ymlaen at gwneud rhiwbeth arall blwyddyn nesa’

4 Likes

Thanks Bryan! I loved your poem and am in complete agreement with your synopsis of ‘accent night’ down the local Tafarn.

1 Like

Thanks, Sam, and thank you for your company. I hope to meet up again sometime

2 Likes

Is that the sound of pain and suffering? Ahhh, lovely:wink:

1 Like

@bryanroberts, thanks for the poem, I enjoyed reading it. I was hoping to see you at Y Saith Seren last night, there were a lot of new faces.

Talking of Y Saith Seren, thanks to the post bwtcamp effect I don’t think I’ve ever felt so relaxed while speaking Welsh before, I was talking more fluidly and naturally than ever before, only one word got away from me for more than an instant, blingo, but don’t think I use that one very often anyway. :blush:

2 Likes