Northern luxury bootcamp 2016

Glad I won’t be the first newbie, Andrew!

1 Like

Less than two weeks to go, are we getting excited? I’m starting to think about what to take, what’s in Gadlas already, what Catrin provided, etc. Memory is a funny thing.

I’ve also been thinking about what I want to get out of bootcamp this year and it’s throwing up a lot of stuff that I didn’t know that I didn’t know, if you catch my drift. :blush: I can’t wait to see how it all turns out.

A few questions for bootcampers if you don’t mind.

1. We’ve had some enjoyable music related times in the past, will anyone be bringing any instruments along?
  2. Does anyone have any interesting hobbies or skills that you could show off or teach, if so, remember to bring equipment with you.
  3. Boring but necessary, anyone with special dietary requirements, allergies, vegitarian/vegan, etc. Always nice to know.

Also, I’ve heard off two people about coming with me in the van, would anyone else benefit from getting a lift?

2 Likes

Yes, getting a little excited, but a bit of trepidation too. Bit anxious that Aran considers me an experienced bootcamper, and though I’ve been before, I’m naturally quiet too.
I confess I’m vegetarian, though I am nutritionally lazy and therefore will eat fish too. Don’t let my lack of meat cause problems to folks, living alone I don’t always cook and can happily pile up the bread and cheese and salad. Are we self catering? I’ll happily make my signature dish if I know to bring the hard to get ingredients, and I’ll make my Polly cake one night - it’s almost a bara brith.
I can’t begin my travels till I drop the cat off at the cattery (what’s cattery in Welsh?) at ten o’clock when the cattery opens. My sat nav suggests 6 hours from Edinburgh, But I like to do the right thing regarding rest breaks and a snooze, so I may trail in a little late. I’ll be heading down the M6 and turn right at Chester. I could have taken advantage of that pick up near Chester but as I am travelling that bit later, I’d rather not delay anyone else, I’d have to consider where I’d leave the car too.
I’m looking forward to seeing that part of Wales, I have only been in that area very briefly and that was some years ago

3 Likes

Your lack of meat won’t cause any problems at all. It is, as you said, self-catering and in the past we have just kind of fended for ourselves. By the way, bread, cheese and a salad sounds great to me.

I think it will be a little late in Chester for us by the time your cat gets to the cattery (cathdy? No idea.) so we will see you there. Getting there in one piece is more important than getting there on time so drive safe. :blush:

2 Likes

Don’t worry! That just means I’m hoping you won’t burst into tears on the very first day…:wink:

3 Likes

Hmmm … reading this I wonder what I’d do (be like) … maybe there’d be the others bursting into tears because of me (what I wouldn’t want for sure). …

1 Like

Hi all, Bryan here. Sorry to have come to the thread rather late in the day, but I have been doing the new lesson 24 in Course 2 (new) plus trying to build up some vocabulary through Memrise, which have taken up a lot of time.

I live in Shrewsbury, but I was born in Aberystwyth, lived there until I was about eleven before we upped sticks and moved to the Llangollen area, where my paternal grandparents lived. I lived there until I moved down the road to Shrewsbury with my job when I was about 25. I found out that I had absorbed quite a lot of the language, without being aware of it, until I decided to give it a go three years ago.
Why am I learning Welsh? Well I’m like @andrewohanlon in that, although my father and his siblings, plus all my grandfather’s siblings spoke Welsh, because my mother was English, that was what we spoke at home. I am now trying to correct the omission on the part of my family in not speaking Welsh to me.
Interests? Bird watching, occasionally, giving as much time as I can to learning Welsh, researching my family history,( although I’ve pretty well finished all I wanted to do), listening to classical music, keeping reasonably fit. (I cycle and have an exercise bike for when I don’t feel like going out), walking, and watching my wife gardening.

I’m retired so I have plenty of time for all these things. I hope having an elderly gent in your midst won’t spoil the party, but I won’t be any sort of impediment when it comes to eating cake! I’m a vegetarian/ fish & chicken eater, although I have been known to succumb to the charms of a bacon sarnie.

Looking forward to meeting you all on this my second boot camp. I was in Tresaith last July, which was good, but I prefer a little more comfort than you get in the bunkhouse there.

3 Likes

The ‘bursting into tears’ phrase got my attention too - and not in a good way!

Yah, agree … but no … you’ll do just fine … you know “Big boys don’t cry” and such things … :slight_smile: hehe

Siriously I believe you can speak Cymraeg just perfectly enough there will be no need for tears at all. (I never spoke to you but I just know that anyway). :slight_smile:

I wondered about what I’ve written before as I was such a nerd before, but going through all what I was going through I think I’d do just fine. It might very well happen I’d appear (quite) odd to the others but … well … I never know as I am what I am and you can’t (really) change just overnight. However as long as people could bear with my linguistic Cymraeg inventions and endlessly try to correct me, I’d do just fine, too, I believe. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, it was meant to be humorous. Bursting into tears is not a requisite for first time Bootcampers… :sunny:

2 Likes

And I understood it like that but made me wonder anyway. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What about second timers? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Two weeks today and we’ll be 24 hours in!!!

1 Like

[quote=“aran, post:50, topic:4587”] Bursting into tears is not a requisite RESERVED JUST for first time Bootcampers.
[/quote]
Fixed that for you @aran.

4 Likes

Oh, what, seriously?!

[Starts considering beginning to do some initial preparation. On Monday.]

2 Likes

Yes, I’m considering starting preparation soon. Such as, for example, and non-exhaustively, learning to speak Welsh.

4 Likes

Why? It didn’t stop you last year. :astonished::wink::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

We’ll make our way up independently, ta.

2 Likes

This sounds interesting … for that part I already regret not to be there. :slight_smile:

[size=9]Oh and unfortunately I don’t know TaeKwon-Do dim byd…[/size]

1 Like

I resemble that remark.

4 Likes