(not politics, honest :) ) - EU Referendum results on Radio Cymru / S4C

Agreed - last thing we need is people falling out over this referendum.

4 Likes

Well for what it’s worth, my wife voted early (although not often :slight_smile: ), and I voted much later (typical…), and at both times the polling station was relatively crowded, while at a similar time, the local supermarket was surprisingly deserted. And there are a fair number of posters up around the town (all in one direction - I won’t say which), which suggests there’s a lot of interest in what’s going on.

Good! Being outvoted in a high turnout is democracy!! I may not like it. but it’s better than alternatives! Being outvoted in a tiny turnout is horrible!!! :blush:

2 Likes

We recently had an election for police commissioner. (I guess other areas did as well, although not necessarily everywhere). This received almost no publicity and the 1st we knew was our poll cards arriving. We did vote (even if without any enthusiasm), but the polling station was not busy on that occasion, and I didn’t notice the results being announced. I still don’t know the result actually. I could google it I suppose, but I keep finding better things to do :slight_smile: I imagine the turnout in that election was pretty low.

Indeed, I think in areas with no other elections on the day turnout was something like 16%. In Wales, with the Assembly elections on the same day, turnout was higher, but there were many blank voting slips. The police commissioner candidates got no mail shot and had to cover huge areas. For example Mid Wales (Dyfed -Powys) is from Pwllheli all the way down to Llanelli, that is a big area to cover for one person.

A lovely example of an election with no mandate from the public to hold it at all!! People were happy with how the police were run before. Here in Scotland there is controversy about the joining of all forces into one, but no marches in the streets! We don’t have elected Commissioners!
Now:

Pam? Pam? Pam?
@aran I know this Forum is not the place for this discussion but I am so confused, I’m asking for enlightenment from anyone in Wales willing to send me a PM.

Why did yr hen wlad f’nhadau vote to leave the EU?

The areas that did this seem to have been those which gained most from membership! It can’t have been Immigration because Wales only has 2% of its population from Europe! Even Ynys Mon voted leave. I am totally confused. Dw 'i ddim yn deall Cymru nawr. Help me to grasp what has happened!

I don’t honestly think Nicola will call a referendum unless she has really good evidence that Scotland will choose to quit UK, but it does call to mind guarded Border posts built to stop hoards of EU migrants creeping over to England! (Thinks, they do have a handy wall already in existance if they wanted to save money and give this country its original frontier, as instituted by the Romans who invented this country!!!)
I prefer not to find I need a visa to come home, however, even if its an academic point, given my health!
Explain to me, please what happened yesterday!!!

Sdim gair da fi o gwbl y bore ma. Da Iawn i Cheredigion a Gwynedd ond beth yw Cyrmru heddiw? - Sai’n gwybod os fi’n bod yn honest - am y tro gyntaf nagwi’n teimlo’n balch o fy nghwlad. Dw i’n meddwl yn ben dant nawr am symud i’r Alban, Ffrainc neu Iwerddon ond does dim ysgolion Cymrareg na.

Beth yw “devastated beyond belief” yn gymraeg.

Nicola press conference on now. Pretty strong language so far.

I think you’re right that we need to avoid this topic for the time being on here - emotions are running very high.

It’s proving challenging (but just about possible) to let the discussion continue on our Facebook page at the moment, but I’ve had to delete a few comments and may well have to delete more.

In brief, @henddraig, I believe this is about media - or rather, our lack of it. The national discourse (insofar as we have one) was overwhelmingly pro-Remain - the Western Mail, the vast majority of AMs - but that national discourse isn’t what the people of Wales listen to.

The two best-selling newspapers in Wales are the Daily Mail and the Sun - which means most Welsh people are quietly (even unintentionally) conditioned to think about English issues, not Welsh issues.

Until we can build our own media, that will probably continue to be the case.

4 Likes

Paid anghofia am Gaerdydd.

1 Like

Mike,

I’ll take Arans advice (maybe a few sedatives as well) and not post anymore on this I think.

2 Likes

Which takes us back to Broadcasting in Wales and the pending report in 2017. With a new PM in Llansteffan. Mmmm.

For sovereignty and freedom.

1 Like

The Police Commissioner elections are the only time I’ve ever spoiled my papers. Total waste of money!

Many many reasons, you’d have to ask each individual to get the full picture! There was certainly no “national” side to this, as Aran says, so people were just voting on whether they wanted to be in or out of the EU within the UK. I know plenty of people of differing political opinions who voted either way- nationalists or labour people who voted either in or out. Not down to ignorance or lack of media oranything like that with them though- well educated, kind and intelligent people. They simply came to a different conclusion to me on a very complex, complicated and close issue.
So there just wasn’t a “Welsh national” side to the vote here. Which, when you consider things such as the media and the state of our nationalist party, isn’t surprising!

1 Like

I just hope that Westminster actually replaces all the EU money that Wales and Cornwall (not to mention the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, who didn’t actually get a vote because they’re not technically part of the UK) are about to lose. Honestly though, I doubt it.

I hope so too! Mind you, it’s all about getting to a position where we don’t need funds from outside (if we do at the moment, to cover all the bases on a difficult, complex and emotional argument!), and which road is best to reach that is something on which many people have very different views.

Can anyone explain to me how come Gibraltar got a vote and is even less part of UK??? Does the UK Government actually rule the Rock and send a block grant as per Wales and Scotland? Do Gibraltarians pay tax to UK? I know the CIs have self government, we had a unit on Guernsey and I went there a few times, but I wouldn’t have thought the Isle of Man was freer of UK rule than Gibraltar!!

At a guess, it’s because Gibraltar is an overseas territory, who gets its laws directly from the UK and is geographically close to Europe, while the others are Crown Dependencies, which make their own laws (subject to Westminster veto) and are not considered part of the UK at all.

So St. Helena is too far from Europe? Despite having been picked by UK as a good place to which to send Napoleon?