[Now fully booked] next northern Bootcamp - 2017 - dates, waiting list

I remember that Rob, I thought I was talking to Beavis for the first day or two “urgh, hehe, urgh, hehe, urgh” but then you found you feet and away you went. :joy: [quote=“johnmorganjones, post:220, topic:6552”]
My first challenge was to ask the way to the Taro Deg coffee shop …
[/quote] ha, I remember that too particularly because it’s what I did two years previous but at least I happened across a Welsh speaker. :wink:

2 Likes

Did anything get established about parking? Would it not be possible to drop off at the house and then park in the suburbs and have a 10-15 minute walk in, ideally avoiding the rough estates? I don’t want to pay big parking charges every day!

It’s very difficult to predict where the free spaces will be - it may well be possible to drop off at the house first, but bear in mind it’s a narrow one-way street with not much parking: (arrow indicates ‘Isfryn’)

Parking in the ‘suburbs’ would not be impossible, but (just to warn you) many residents already complain about workers parking 9-5 to avoid parking fees, so I doubt they would take kindly to 24hrs every day for a whole week.
There are supermarkets with car parks within walking distance - Morrisons, Asda and Tesco - but they are technically time-limited.

1 Like

Yeah, Caernarfon isn’t actually brilliant for parking - the listing for the house says that there is free parking ‘200m and 500m’ from the house - I’ll ask about that in detail when I talk to them to arrange to pick up the keys…!

I can’t think of any free parking in Caernarfon, really, apart from occasional short-term spots. One option would be to go out towards the golf club the other side of the river, but I wouldn’t really want to leave my own car out there overnight - it’s a bit isolated.

How many cars do we have coming? Maybe if we think in terms of 2 or 3 with us, 2 or 3 in Caeathro (as Siaron said) and then put the remaining in the car park by the castle and everyone split the costs? I think that’s £4 a day per car…

I’ve done some research this morning with regards to parking. Unfortunately there is no simple answer. :confused:

I phoned the council - they no longer have any free car parks in Caernarfon and (conveniently) weren’t aware of anywhere you could park for free, other than residential streets. They do offer a weekly fee, but this, as it turns out is more costly than paying daily.

I also phoned the Harbour Trust who own the large car park below the castle. They said that they don’t have a weekly fee either, but that their daily fee is £4. You could to all intents and purposes park there for the week, explain your situation to the attendant and go back and forth each day to pay your daily fee. But any car left in the same spot in an open public car park for a whole week is going to attract unwanted attention.

I have been told that Caernarfon Football Club may allow you to park there for a week for a fee - I have yet to get in touch with them. I’ll let you know as soon as I know anything at all with regards to this option.

I am planning to ask on social media as well. I have many contacts in the Caernarfon area and you never know, there may be someone who knows of somewhere secure which may be suitable. Knowing how many cars we have will be helpful. So if you could let me know if you are coming alone/on public transport/car sharing, then I can make my enquiry more specific. Diolch yn fawr iawn! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I won’t have a car, I’ll probably be using public transport :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch! 1 down! :wink:

In addition, could everyone also PM me with regards to food? Any vegetarians, vegans, food intolerances? Just want to start planning the first night’s meal soon. Diolch yn fawr iawn! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m bringing my car, which I’m happy to use during the week. The castle car park would certainly be convenient and £4 per day isn’t so bad. What happens, though, if we leave the car park and return later in the day - would we have to pay again?

Regarding food, I’m happy to eat anything.

1 Like

I’m planning on bringing my car. My plan had been to leave it in one of the pay and display car parks, and top it up each day (possibly moving it round the car park(s) so that it isn’t sitting in the same place all week).

1 Like

By 'eck, I didn’t realise how much of an issue it is, i just wanted to find somewhere where the car would still be there at the end of the week and avoid the local toughs. I thought Aberystwyth was bad, locals only complain about the Landie that’s been on the same spot for years. I gather then that Caernarfon is a little bit less laid back about it! I do miss the joys of driving around my parking route of Aberystwyth on a Saturday afternoon, finding a space on the 5th circuit!
I could look into public transport options, but until they re-build the Aberystwyth-Carmarthen line, it’ll be a pain and I was hoping to stop off in Aberystwyth on the way…
£4 a day is only a Central Cardiff pint a day, but the football club sounds worth exploring if it’s cheaper, I take it there isn’t a clash with Bangor City on the Saturday and that football violence thing.

I did mention it before, veggie it is for me. I’m happy to do a share of cooking. What I’ve done in the past is make a sauce, and cook the meat and veg dish separately and then split the sauce to the two dishes

Just had a look at trains, looks like I’ve missed the 2 week in advance tickets, it’s £73 to Llanfair PG/ Bangor at the moment + bus to Caernarfon :O(

1 Like

Hello
I will be coming by car. I don’t mind paying to park it somewhere safe and would be happy to provide transport during the week if needed.
I don’t like cooking much these days so am always grateful to have a meal cooked by someone else! Having said that I will, of course, be very happy to help out with the cooking at boot camp as long as I could be paired up with someone who knows what they are doing please !
See you all soon…

2 Likes

Those steps up from the tresaith car park are starting to look pretty sweet…

3 Likes

And having to park the car actually leaning on one side in order to fit in is a small price to pay…

1 Like

I’m bringing a car. Happy to user it for outings but would rather pay to park it somewhere for the week rather than have to remember to go back to it daily.

1 Like

One week until the night of packing and panicked revision. sometimes i feel nervous, other times I’m looking forward to a holiday, i assume it will drift between both.
Anyway, regarding wardrobe, (not that i have much of a wardrobe mind). Is there a wishing machine or is it worth packing enough for 9 days (bwtcamp + party).
Is any special clothing required? I’m assuming walking gear will be useful, but what about formal wear (if any?)

4 Likes

I’ve checked one of the websites the house is listed on, and it does say there is a washing machine and tumble dryer - and even a sauna!

I can’t say about clothing though - I don’t know exactly what Aran’s got planned (other than the yoga mentioned earlier in the thread!)

4 Likes

Have we been given the actual address other than Isfryn? If we have I’ve forgotten, sorry.

1 Like

It’s Isfryn, 11 Church Street, Caernarfon LL55 1SW

2 Likes

I knew there was something we hadn’t thought of. We’ll have to make sure that every future Bootcamp has a wishing machine.

It’s going to get wild…:wink:

3 Likes