[Now fully booked] next northern Bootcamp - 2017 - dates, waiting list

Nope!

2 Likes

Many thanks to everyone for an amazing week on Bwtcamp (and especially to @aran and @CatrinLliarJones for organising it). Equally, Iā€™d like to apologize to everyone who had to put up with me massacring the Welsh language during the first couple of days until I figured out that I really could speak Welsh!

Iā€™ve got a couple more photographs for you!

Exploring Segontium in the sunshine:

Caernarfon from Twthill:

@elizabeth_jane declares her intention to lay siege to Caernarfon:

Bwtcampers atop Twthill:

Someone enjoyed waving the banner so much, we thought we ought to buy him one tooā€¦

Twthill from Caernarfon Castle:

6 Likes

You were so grave Jane and grew so much through the week. It was a pleasure to watch you spread your wings and fly. As for massacring the language, weā€™ve all been there. There is no other way to become a Welsh speaker. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Really lovely photos Jane. Happy memories. It was good to meet you and see your enthusiasm by the end of the week.

2 Likes

I also have a post-bwtcamp ā€˜straeonā€™ to share.

After a slightly surreal evening at the SSIW Parti Pen-Blwydd 2017 (sitting between @elizabeth_jane and @Y_Ddraig_Las didnā€™t help :stuck_out_tongue: ), I headed back to where I was staying. Little was I to know that the night was about to get a whole lot more surrealā€¦

Eventually, I drifted off to sleep with echoes of Meinir Gwilymā€™s amazing set running through my head. Sixteen months after I started learning, I finally had my very first dream in Welsh. I even understood most of what was being said!

Suddenly, I was woken from my dream as the door crashed open. Into the girlā€™s dorm walked a young man, who proceeded to search for something on the floor by the wash basin, and then at the foot of one of the other beds. All the while talking to himself in Welsh!

By this point, all five of us girls were wide awake and somewhat bemused by our nighttime visitor. We asked him if he was alright, but he ignored us and continued to search for that elusive object on the floor. Then, as suddenly as he had come, he left again.

Once we had made sure the door was properly locked behind him, we realised that he had been sleep walking all along.

Seriously though, what are the chances of your first ever Welsh dream being interrupted by a Welsh-speaking sleepwalker?

11 Likes

Surreal, fi a Y_Ddraig_Las? Never!

2 Likes

He might have been a Welsh learner having his first ever sleep walk in Welsh :grin:

2 Likes

How absolutely perfect! A story to tell for the rest of your lifeā€¦ :slight_smile:

And thank you for the terrific photos, and for your huge courage under fire - llongyfarchiadau mawr! :slight_smile:

1 Like

How very rude! :wink::joy:

No, that was meant to be brave! :astonished::open_mouth::open_mouth: Damned auto correct. Damned not checking what Iā€™d written. Brave. Brave. Brave. :grin:

3 Likes

BTW @elizabeth_jane, when are you staying in Llangollen? Iā€™d like to meet up for lunch sometime if I may.

1 Like

Now until Thursday. We went to Chirk today. Hanmer tomorrow. Plans not yet set after that.

1 Like

Cool, Iā€™m off Wednesday and Thursday so if you fancy meeting just let me know where you will be eating lunch and Iā€™ll be there. :+1:

We have to drive to Corris on Wednesday and plan to make a day of it. But we could meet Thursday after Iā€™ve said goodbye to my Aussie friend.

1 Like

Perffaith, just say where and when.

Just had a chat with our only Welsh speaking neighbour. He actually comes from Caernarfon and was relatively chuffed that Iā€™d liked it so much. But I didnā€™t do any better on the Welsh-speaking front than I normally do with him. Why is it that there can just be the odd person, even after you think youā€™ve kind of got it, that still manages to make you feel like a nervous learner??!!! This guy doesnā€™t believe in English people being able to learn Welsh properly, and told me as much a few years ago when I first said I was learning. That just made me determined to prove him wrong of course, but I still havenā€™t got there yet!!

Think Iā€™ve identified the next post-bootcamp goalā€¦

5 Likes

There are some people who do that to me too. I can lose myself in conversation usually and everything flows but with some people, and for absolutely no reason, I feel like I have to try not to make mistakes but it just makes me worse. I go through this every time with Aran and Catrin but they are the most supportive of anyone, it makes no sense.

Sorry, I have no solution, only empathy. :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks, @gruntius, glad itā€™s not just me! Itā€™s certainly not a simple trajectory, this language-learning business.

(I wonder if I might have done better a week ago - annoyingly I didnā€™t see target neighbour at the optimal time! It all feels so far away again after a busy week back at workā€¦)

2 Likes

If you lot hadnā€™t been hiding behind a car, and had actually listened to me talking to Ifor ap Glyn, youā€™d have heard how tongue-tied I get talking to Prifeirddā€¦ :slight_smile:

7 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like