[Now fully booked] next northern Bootcamp - 2017 - dates, waiting list

No, actually. I’ve been twice before and based on past experience I’m sure that although although it will be mentally challenging at times (perhaps all the time in my case) there will be loads of fun and fellowhip and, hopefully, plenty of cake. One of the great benefits of the bootcamp is the support and encouragement you receive from everyone else. Another is the total immersion in the Welsh language and the 'dim Saesneg ’ rule is crucial to ensure that we all get the maximum benefit from the week. I’m looking forward to meeting you all and I’m sure that by the end of the week you’ll be looking forward to signing up for the next one.

4 Likes

Thank you :blush:

I’m sure it will be, I’m more excited than scared! I’m really looking forward to meeting you guys :slight_smile: the scary part is handling trains/buses in the UK, last time I took a train there the stops weren’t announced and I spent the whole journey terrified I was going to miss Bangor :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes! I’ve been thinking about trying for a place for ages and now…gulp!

2 Likes

To be entirely honest … I like to see you all are a bit “suffering”. - hehe :slight_smile: BECAUSE

because you’ll laugh upon yourself at the end saying “What I had to fear about at all?” unless @aran is way harder to cope with then @iestyn as he might be more “demanding”. :slight_smile: I’m really curious what the difference it is. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The accent mainly, I would think. :slight_smile:

I am wondering now what I’ve let myself in for!
SSiW peeps did a good job of persuading me to go to a Bootcamp at the Eisteddfod, but I thought, they’ll be a way to weasel out of it.
So, I arrived home last night, to see that a Bootcamp booking had gone live, I thought I should at least investigate, but of course, it will be full already… but no, there was a place left, oops!
So, I am going to Bootcamp in 2017 and actually looking forward to it.

6 Likes

No I thought the difference in how “demanding” both are regarding language, understanding, pushing further …

The accent, well I’m learning Southern (Iestyn’s) version of Welsh so can’t possibly know how I’d cope with northern (Aran’s) version but I believe it wouldn’t be such a huge problem as we were mixture of both versions in Tresaith this Summer (but I believe any summer is no different regarding this).

1 Like

That’s my kind of approach to organisation!..:wink:

To everyone who now has the beginning of Bootcamp Terror - don’t worry! You’re actually going to have a lot of fun - and you’re going to be the first ever town centre Bootcamp, in what must be very close to the de facto capital of the Fro Gymraeg. It’s going to be a unique experience.

In fact, it might be a one-off, and thus eternally unique… Catrin and I are not entirely sure that we’ll be carrying on with bootcamps. They’re a delight, as well as being exhausting, but if we end up doing more smaller scale things (especially, we hope, with the chalet) then we might find it a bit tough digging out the time/energy for a full bootcamp (at least until the kids are off at university, at any rate)…

As for this bootcamp - we’re looking forward hugely to meeting you all, and we’re closing bookings with 9/10 spaces taken (it’ll be a little easier organisation and bedroom-sharing-wise).

If anyone is really on fire to come, and for some reason hadn’t picked up on the emails/announcements, then go ahead and add yourself to the waiting list - we’ll probably make a decision in early January as to whether or not we try to squeeze one or two more people in… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can perfectly understand this but why I felt immediate saddness in this sentence …?

Yes this one must be unique, I feel it from the bottom of my heart, so people don’t be afraid or in terror, be proud! you intend to be a part of it.

1 Like

Oh dear! I had hoped to make it to a Northern bootcamp in 2018.

But I don’t want to burn your candle at both ends, of course.

I hope this 2017 one will be a wonderful experience for everyone present! I wish I could have made it. (But I’m secretly glad now that booking is closed already – reduce the temptation to spend money I don’t really have at the moment.)

And thank you already for organising it, @aran and @CatrinLliarJones!

3 Likes

Great stuff, @Y_Ddraig_Las! (Gareth, isn’t it?)
By the way, @Novem, do you mind telling us what we will call you? I think everyone else’s names are obvious (except me!) - I haven’t missed anyone have I?
Sonia

1 Like

So did I. Not exactly 2018, but any in the future …

Well, I have to be eternally thankful to my destiny I could be at Tresaith one. It might never ever happen again though.

Diolch yn fawr iawn. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yeah, right :smiley: I’m Milla :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just my little joke Tatjana. :slight_smile:

But on a slightly more serious note, I learned with the northern courses, but have only been on the Tresaith bootcamp. It was a bit challenging at first, but as you found, among the bwtcampwyrs, it was a mixture of both versions, so that helped. I do tend to think that unfamiliar accents are a bigger challenge in Welsh than the occasional vocabulary difference.

1 Like

Well, it might happen when going into the wilderness to be challenging with vocabulary too, just like in our country (or anywhere else) where in North-East region of our beloved country they speak the mixture of Hungarian and Slovene and even that Slovene is sooooo different that you have to put all effort (even if you’re a native Slovene speaker) to understand a word what a sentence. I lately tried to learn Hungarian mainly purely for that matter but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I failed entirely. This is even harder then Cymraeg - Hungarian I mean … And accent adds to it hugely. However if people are prepared to speak just a little bit slower, it’s problem almost solved. :slight_smile:

Oh, and, sorry. I’m just not too good at understanding/getting jokes these days despite I’m trying to make little jokes of my own most of the time.

1 Like

Yes, Hmm… Camp Terror, I’m imagining 20k route marches through Snowdonia, followed by drill in Caernarfon square (with repurcussions for not knowing the Welsh for ‘standard arms’. Hopefully with a town centre location our ‘Street Welsh’ will at least improve.
Actually I’m more concerned about people being annoyed with me being Veggie.

3 Likes

Or as we call it, ‘popping down to the shop for some milk’…:wink:

@philipnewton - ouch - over the years, we have tended to respond to guilt! [It’s probably the only way I ever actually get anything done]. So when 2018 edges up over the horizon, let’s see how everyone’s feeling then (no promises etc)… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yikes!!

Will I love veggie food anyway. In fact I love any food not tied to my kids’ milk and egg allergies…
(See 'Escape… ')

3 Likes

Yay, thank you! :hugging: :smile: :fireworks:

1 Like

I’ve heard of mother’s milk, but this is a new kind of diet choice for me :wink:

2 Likes