[Now fully booked] next northern Bootcamp - 2017 - dates, waiting list

Aran, @maturestudent kindly arranged a talk for us by eflyn owen-jones about llyn cerrig bach. We combined it with a visit to oriel ynys môn. Very intetesting. Maybe that’s something for you to consider.

2 Likes

For anyone wanting directions, it will be handy to know which direction you’ll be coming from - rather than give you directions the whole way, I’ll be able to give you a landmark to look out for as you get to Caernarfon itself and then directions to the car park of your choice and/or Isfryn from there. (or if anyone is coming in on a bus, and needs walking directions from the bus stop…!)

As for parking, most of the streets have time limits on the parking and you need to be jolly lucky to nab a space on any of the few without restrictions, so here is an idea of the main car parks and their proximity to Isfryn (11 Church St). The green stars are the long stay car parks. The orange stars are the short stay ones and the yellow star is the ‘free’ car park at Morrisons supermarket - it’s a big car park and, although there are time limit signs, people do seem to leave their cars there all day, but I say this with no guarantee that you’ll get away with it, it’s just an ‘at your own risk’ option!
The charges for the council sites are:
Short stay - £1 up to 1hr / £2 up to 2hrs / £3 up to 3 hrs / £4 up to 4hrs / £7 over 4 hrs
Long stay - £2 up to 4 hrs / £3 up to 8 hrs / £4 up to 12hrs / £5 up to 24hrs

3 Likes

Wow, we’re right down by the sea - fantastic! Thank you @siaronjames!

Starting to think about activities when we’re in the house, how many people would interested in making a bit of music? I could play the ukulele very badly and bring a load of Welsh songs… (I have no singing voice whatsoever - which is very unfair - but will have a go in comparatve private!)

If there’s any prospect of ‘bootcamp band’, I may bring a viola too, although that is rather dependent on the week. I have MS and some weeks have the control to play it and sometimes don’t, but the intention is there!

(On that point, the MS thing is best out in the open too. There’s a chance it might affect me joining in fully with stuff, but hopefully won’t. I just take things as they come in general.)

3 Likes

And a few yards from the Anglesey Arms, I can see what was on @aran’s mind when he booked that place. :blush:

3 Likes

I would, but there’s no way I can bring any kind of instrument with me. I can play the guitar and bass very badly and I sing when I’m alone :smile:

3 Likes

I could give my guitar to @gruntius who can bring it and i can collect it at parti ssiw

(There’s no excuses to be had on this forum you know).

2 Likes

Hehe, you may have been volunteered, @Novem! :grinning:
Wow, diolch, @Pete2, that would be a really generous offer, if there are people around who can play the guitar (and would like to) but can’t bring one.
(I can’t play the guitar… yet… but hey we are on holiday for a week… :smile:)

1 Like

I can’t play any musical instrument or read music, but I love singing. My family tell me I’m no good at it, but what do they know? A bootcamp band is definitely a good idea.

I take Aran’s point about getting to know Caernarfon in depth (with the possible exception of the yoga) and I’m sure it’s best if we don’t spend too much time travelling all round the surrounding area.

One very good thing we did on Pete2’s mini bootcamp weekend was a guided walking tour of Llanfaglan (between Llandwrog and Bontnewydd), led by a local man with a comprehensive knowledge of the village’s history. There was an exceptionally interesting old church in the middle of the fields (recently the scene of Lord Snowdon’s funeral) and in addition every farm, chapel and field seemed to have a story associated with it. I can’t remember the man’s name, but Pete would know how to contact him.

3 Likes

Geraint doesn’t have a hall pass this year, sadly…

But if anyone wants to play guitar, let me know and I’ll lug my old acoustic round… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oooops! I thought he was for some reason! I had a vision of an acoustic guitar player with a thrash metal drummer!

2 Likes

I could bring my oboe I suppose. No idea how to play with guitars though, some BarRock perhaps?

2 Likes

You will not believe how long I have waited to use that pun

2 Likes

Ouch.

I could always chuck in a kids’ ukulele too if anyone else would like a go. (It’s really not very hard.) The ukulele orchestra of bootcamp… plus oboe? :laughing: (Your call on that one @Y_Ddraig_Las!)

I will be bringing a Ford KA, which can just about take four (small) people (in some discomfort). Two or three is more realistic, particularly if people have stuff…

April seemed so far away back at the beginning of the December. Starting to panic a little now!

2 Likes

I know. All this talk of how well we’ve been doing with our Welsh and soon we will be exposed for the frauds that we are! Well speaking personally anyway

2 Likes

Smiling and nodding will go a long way, I’m sure :star:

1 Like

Good, that’s healthy. :blush:

Aran is correct, I won’t be there (I think Aran is slightly relieved, after all this is the first NBC without me :cry:). I would, however, as long as the days workout and it’s ok with Aran and the bootcampwyr, like to pay a visit at some point during the week. I love Caernarfon. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

It will be fine! :slight_smile:

Aha so geraint can take my guitar after all :wink:

I expect to see a bootcamp trons dy dad posted during the week!

2 Likes

Don’t panic. We try to keep it quiet, but we’re actually quite nice…:wink: We’ll look after you… :slight_smile:

3 Likes