[now starting to publish] Level 3 northern

Diolch yn fawr iawn! :slight_smile:

1 Like

apologies to @aran for my comments on audio of 3.01 etc. Fault was the sound on my iPad!! Just listened to laptop! Much better!! But I do think the actual new stuff is a bit slow. It makes for too much contrast with new stuff!

Really enjoying level 3! It’s knocking my socks off. It had me on the ropes a couple of times and I definitely think it’s ahead on the cards but I’m still standing :smile:

5 Likes

I have a question: is “draw acw” the same as “draw fan 'na”?

1 Like

And fan’cw?

1 Like

Croeso! :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah, pretty much - you’ll find that people will have their own patterns for when to use ‘acw’ and when ‘yno’ - sometimes people will say that ‘acw’ is further away - sometimes people will use it when they’re talking specifically about their home - but I don’t think the distinctions are clear or helpful enough for it to be worth trying to ‘learn’ them - just use whichever comes to mind first (I’m including fan’cw here, Helen!) and recognise the others when you hear them… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The other day, when leaving work, I was thinking to myself “I don’t really get Bu and Buodd etc”, as you do. Get into my car and “Bu bron iddi” was the first construction. @aran you’re a mind reader (in advance, which is even more impressive!)

3 Likes

Useful to know. It means you can be more precise in expressing what you mean to express.
i think this kind of thing is important if we wish to become slightly more sophisticated Welsh speakers (and I’m not talking about formal or literary Welsh…I just mean being able to express precisely what we wish to say, as we can in our first language.

1 Like

In one evening class I used to go to (German, not Welsh), the (very nice) teacher would rarely correct our attempts at speech publicly, as it were, in front of the whole class. But what she would do from time to time would be to “gather up” the most frequent mistakes made by most of us (in speaking or writing), and then go through them.

That way, we all learned something (from our own mistakes, and those of others), and no one was ever made to feel small, in front of the whole class. I like teachers like that.

2 Likes

Indeed. Each time a few more challenges get released I think ‘oh these will be dead easy for me now’ but, no, still brain melt and doing me good :grinning:

1 Like

For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to blitz the new stuff: up to the current goal post for Level 3 S, then continue to the end of L3 N.

So this morning, driving to the beautiful Trefdraeth (Newport, Pembs), I competed Challenge 8 (S) and then went straight on to 9 (N), which as it happened revisited a lot of Challenge 8 stuff, but in the N, dialect.

What a head spinner that was, but very rewarding. I now feel like a Mid-Walian.

7 Likes

15 and 16 for North are now out too! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Just out of thirst for new material, I did the same thing, and I just finished Challenge 11. As can be expected, my answers were a bit different sometimes…
For example: “It’s not easy, but it’s not meant to be easy”
And, without thinking, I filled the pause with “So fe’n hawdd, ond so fe i fod yn hawdd” … Nailed it, hwntw style :wink:

6 Likes

I just get to L3H14 and Arans only added another two.

Bu bron iddi = She almost

What is the ‘Bu’?
I think it’s another bod form, which is what Mr King says it is, like ‘she almost been?’, a short form of ‘buodd hi’
What’s confusing me is the tense, is it kind of ‘she did be’ with a new nuance to work out, rather than good old ‘wnaeth hi’ ? The whole Bues i bod form I’ve not quite got my head around basically.

Without context, I’m not sure what “bu bron iddi” is meant to mean.

But “buodd hi” means “she has been”.

Similar really to “mae hi wedi bod” except that the latter usually seems to be used with another verb, connected by “yn”, as in “mae hi wedi bod yn dysgu …”.

Whereas you can use “buodd hi” without another verb.

And it often seems to be used in the context of having been somewhere.

At least, that’s my understanding, as far as it goes, which isn’t all that far … :slight_smile:

I thought this form (the example of “buodd hi”) had more of a completed feeling so more “she HAD been” than “she has been” (which could still be ongoing).

“She has been” would be, as mentioned, “mae hi wedi bod”.

2 Likes

This is Emma take on it. She’s not a grammar expert and she wasn’t 100% if she was right but:

Buodd goes with an -ing word
Bu doesn’t

Buodd o’n byw - he lived
Bu farw Mrs Hoolahoop - Mrs Hoolahoop died
Bu bron iddi - It was close to her (almost).

I like the description (particularly Emma’s use of Hoolahoop) but would be interested to see other’s takes :smile:

1 Like

Poor Mrs Hulahoop. She was a good egg.

3 Likes

I’m sure she’ll be around forever

5 Likes