Ofergoelus

Is anyone else listening to this on Radio Cymru?

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I find i can follow a drama in Welsh more easily than some factual stuff like Pigion. I think it’s because the characters tend to talk about familiar domestic things at least some of the time. And I like listening over and over till I’ve pieced together the story.

This podcast about a little town where strange things keep happening is a lot of fun. And it’s going to be available for at least a year - so it won’t disappear just as you’re starting to get the hang of it!I

Catriona

11 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation!
I just listened to the first two episodes and I could sort of understand what was going on and definitely understood a few chunks of conversation!
This could be my listening practice for a while. I’m really rubbish at keeping up with listening and I know it’s so important.
Thanks again :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I started listening to it, then forgot about it!
Thanks for the reminder.

I have been following this and enjoying it.
Question , does anyone know what Ofergoelus means in Welsh ?

I think it means superstitious, which is appropriate

2 Likes

Thanks Catriona :+1:

I think this came up in the forum recently. “ofer” means useless, and goelus is related to coelu, to believe, so it seems to derive from “believing in useless things” or possibly “useless believing”.

ofergoel is superstition, or as GPC also offers “vain belief”.

I have also seen ofer translated as sacrifice, which also makes sense, in a very different way!

PS I think, judging by the way it ended, today’s was the last episode, which is sad. But I still have a long way to go before I understand everything, so I’ll get a lot more fun out of it yet.

Thanks for recommending this - I’m about half way through and enjoying it. I have been listening to most of them twice, in the beginning mainly to sort out who was speaking (and to get over my confusion at Tulisa being a man’s name, is that common?). I find it nice clear Hwntw Welsh.

Took me a while to catch on, but there’s a reason why Tulisa has a woman’s name. Clues are scattered around the episodes!

I keep listening to them at bedtime and I am gradually picking up more and more, either because my vocab is improving or I am getting my ear in and the words i know are becoming clearer. I think I have the gist of the plot for each episode now, but I am still filling in the details! It’s a lot of fun.

Ooh intriguing!

I don’t know if this counts as determination of mild insanity, but I just spent the afternoon with BBC Radio iPlayer and a dictionary, going over episode 5 and unlocking what happened in that graveyard! I’d got the gist before, but now I’ve worked out most of the details too. Quite inordinantly proud of myself for being able to separate the stream of unfamiliar dialogue into individual words, even if it did take several hours to unpick just 15 mins! Doing a happy dance and about to award myself a beer :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes!

I’m really glad they’re keeping all the episodes available for download for the time being; too much other stuff disappears. All of the current episodes (1 - 16) are there, so grab them while you can. :grin:

2 Likes