Ohio Aberaeron bicentenary celebration 2018

I was told about this yesterday:

http://www.cilcennin.wales/wales-celebrations-ohio-2018/

There is apparently a large community of Welsh descended Americans in the Ohio area with links to Aberaeron, and the links have been kept alive over the last 200 years, hence next year’s celebrations.

So, do we have any Ohians (is that an Ohio person?) learning Welsh out of respect for their roots? If not WHY NOT?.. But if so, make yourself known, especially if you are coming over to Wales next year!

2 Likes

Buckeye is the state’s (and Ohio State University’s) nickname. So they could be “Buckeyes” :slight_smile:

1 Like

The National Libray of Wales has strong links with Ohio. I am sure they would welcome the chance to open their records.

I’m just getting back into Welsh after a hiatus, just in time to see this. I’m originally from Ohio, but I had no idea there was a significant Welsh presence there. It must be an Ohio thing – my dad’s family is from Germany, and 7 generations down, we’re still in contact with the German side of the family, too. :slight_smile: Does anyone know what part of Ohio this Welsh community settled in, and about when they immigrated here? Super curious now. :smile:

BTW, a person from Ohio can be called a Buckeye, informally, but usually it’s Ohioan.

3 Likes

Don’t know how I missed this. I’m in Ohio (Cleveland), and always looking for Welsh speakers!

@tess Are you in touch with Geordan? I don’t think she’s on the forum, but I’m in touch with her on Twitter. She lives in Cleveland I believe.

@Deborah-SSi Yes, I know Geordan! I also have Welsh-speaking friends near Columbus, about two hours away.
I’m just surprised there aren’t more here in Cleveland, given the history of the Welsh here. The Welsh Home is very close to where I live. It was started by members of the Women’s Welsh Club in 1911 for elderly Welsh immigrants and people of Welsh descent, a place they could feel ‘at home’. Those women spoke Welsh, of course. The Welsh Home is still standing, and the Welsh Women’s Club is still around. In fact, they still award scholarships to high school graduates of Welsh descent. But THEY DON’T SPEAK WELSH!!!
It just seems, with so many descendants of the Welsh people who settled the area still living here, that someone would be interested in at least learning their ancestral language! This is a Celtic neighborhood, and the Irish have a huge thriving Irish language group that meets at the pub every Tuesday. But I haven’t found anyone in this historically (also) Welsh neighborhood that wants to speak Welsh! I find that hard to understand.
Geordan is amazing. She heard a beautiful language and said to herself, “I have to learn that language.” And she DID. I wish more people were as passionate about the language as she.
Ugh, I’ve been ranting - mae’n ddrwg gen i. The short answer to your question is yes. :joy:

1 Like