Old Welsh Hymns

Does anyone know where I can download for free famous hymns like: Marchog, Jesu, yn llwyddiannus “ONWARD RIDE IN TRIUMPH, JESUS,”

O’th flaem, O Dduw! 'r wy’n dyfod,

Yn Eden cofiaf hyny byth!

and the most famous of all Gwahoddiad

I would like to listen to them as a great way to learn to speak the language.

Plenty of versions of Gwahoddiad on YouTube - here’s one:

5 Likes

Thank you for the wonderful suggestion however, I am looking for audio so it can be listened to while going out for a daily walk.

Hi Godwalker,
Great to have you on here.
I can’t see any free downloads of hymns, so my guess is that it will be a case of streaming on mobile internet (if possible), or paying to download from suppliers (you probably are ahead of me on that).

I don’t know if this will be of interest, but the Gobeith I Gymru site has the Words to several hymns and songs. http://www.gobaith.cymru/

1 Like

I would just offer a word of caution about using hymns as a way of learning the language if you want to be able to speak Welsh in a natural sounding way. I am not familiar with many Welsh hymns, but I suspect that the language is rather formal if not actually archaic at times. By all means listen to hymns for enjoyment, but they’re probably not the best way of picking up useful words and phrases for conversations.

If you want to learn the words and tune to my absolute favourite Welsh hymn, here’s a link to the BBC site and a lesson on singing Calon Lân.

5 Likes

Good morning John.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Thank you for the great link.

I use Audacity to convert videos on YouTube to MP3’s and listen to the songs at bed time. It is a great way to go to sleep.

My third cousin was in the Welsh Bots Choir back in the seventies. It would be great to download some of their songs.

Wishing you A house full of sunshine, Hearts full of cheer, Love that grows deeper each day of the year.

Joseph

1 Like

Good morning Margaret.

Thanks for the tip.

I love to listen to the hymns at bedtime it is a great way to go to sleep and sleep learn (I used to do that a lot in school).

As well as this site I am using the one on BBC.

The language speaking are on an mp3 and listened to and repeated while going for a daily walk. That is an easy way to learn.

As well there are video’s where the words are in English and Welsh which is another great way to learn.

May your house be filled with joy in the morning and sweet dreams at night. May it be a home where love has come to live.

YouTube has lots of them by the great Valleys male voice choirs, as well as a splendid version of Calon Lan to the tune of Blaenwern by a Welsh rugby crowd when we won at Twickenham in 1999.
The highlight on YouTube has to be the Tredegar Town Band accompanied by a choir singing Blaenwern at the Eisteddfod Genedlaethol in 2010, complete with subtitled lyrics. But, as Margaret Hall pointed out, the language is a very different Welsh from what today’s adult learners are learning.

Good afternoon Wrex

Thank you for the suggestion.

I prefer to listen to solo singers as it is easier to listen to the words. There is this one woman that has a beautiful voice and a man that plays guitar while singing that I listen to now.

Wavepad is used to convert the videos on YouTube into MP3.

I can appreciate that there is a difference but it is one more tool to learn and with those lovely voices are great way to drift off to sleep.

I am slowly picking up on this course. It takes a lot of practice. I listen and try to repeat while going for my walk (which is about two hours long so there is lots of practice there).

Wishing you A house full of sunshine, Hearts full of cheer, Love that grows deeper each day of the year.

1 Like

I am a beginner and have found listening to Welsh hymns to be a very effective means of learning pronunciation - I always have a couple of gymanfa CDs in the car.
Whilst some words are rarely heard in informal conversation, the ‘rules’ of pronunciation remain the same regardless of context. I’m not a natural linguist (very far from it) but my pronunciation has led tutors to ask if I used to speak Welsh as a child. I didn’t, and have lived in London for 47 years.

3 Likes

Hi Joseph. I enjoy listening to Welsh hymns too, because my uncle sings in a Welsh male voice choir so I grew up listening to their recordings which obviously included a lot of hymns. I’m not a religious person, but there is certainly something about those old hymns. I can see why people would not recommend using them to learn the language, but if you like listening to them anyway then they can only add to your understanding, I’m sure. Yes, the spoken language might be different, but I have found that they help me remember vocabulary even if they don’t help me form sentences. I discovered ‘clean’ and ‘blood’ from Y Gwahoddiad, for example. And like Pererin (which is a name I actually understand from having listened to hymns), it has often helped my pronunciation too.

You can buy and download music from Amazon - I remember seeing various versions of Gwahoddiad on there a while back. If they are still doing free trials of Amazon Prime, you can get temporary access to these and others for free.

Carole :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good morning Pererin.

That is very impressive.

I prefer to listen to solo singers as the words can be heard clearer.

As well they are to be accompanied by either flute, guitar or harp. The reason for this is because those instruments relax you and it is easier to learn while relaxed.

May Jehovah bless you with an attentive ear and mind to become an excellent Welsh speaker.

1 Like

Good morning Carole.

Wow, that is impressive about your uncle. My grandma’s sisters grandson sang in the Welsh boys choir. I would like one day to get in contact with him.

Yes the old hymns have much more meaning to them that the modern ones. There are a few Welsh hymns I have downloaded for free from YouTube. Are all Welshmen and women frugal (some call it cheap skates or tight wads :laughing:) like my family?

I really love listening to Charlotte Church. Boy has she ever got a beautiful voice.

Enjoy being serenaded by your uncle and expanding your vocabulary through those wonderful Hymns.

[quote=“Godwalker, post:13, topic:10477”]
Are all Welshmen and women frugal (some call it cheap skates or tight wads :laughing:) like my family?
[/quote] Are your family from Cardiganshire? :wink:

[quote=“Godwalker, post:13, topic:10477”]
I really love listening to Charlotte Church. Boy has she ever got a beautiful voice.
[/quote]She has. Voice of an Angel, but brain of Angel Delight.

Just to say - we don’t do this kind of talk on the SSiW forum. Nothing unpleasant/unkind/demeaning/rude is acceptable here.

Please read the forum rules:

Forum rules - Welsh

Thank you for bearing this in mind in future posts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@aran Sorry. It’s a well-known quip in Wales so I assumed it would be ok to repeat it. I thought it was much the same as my well-known quip about Cardis.
Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I’ll be more careful in future.

2 Likes

We all make mistakes. The important thing is to learn from them.

I am sure you have learned from your mistake.

I looked it up in wikipedia.org what angel delight is and it sounds like what we call pudding here in Canada.

I am not referring to the person but to the food when I ask how it got its name?

Here in Canada we have something called angels food cake. It is the only cake I like to eat. I do not know how it got its name though so please do not ask.

I downloaded a song called “Here is love as vast as the ocean.” sung by a woman (I wish I could find out her name). It is so beautiful it makes me cry every time I hear it (which is every night) while I sing along with it.

I hear you have a little bit of windy weather over there in Europe. Winter is crazy here this year. One week we have balmy weather, the next cold enough to make a polar bear shiver.

Have a great weekend.

Marketing, I think. If you whip enough air into it, it becomes as light as an angel, or something like that.

Since angel food cake is also whipped, maybe the name comes from a similar idea, though I admit that I’m just guessing.

@Godwalker

Angel Delight is a children’s pudding/dessert – a whipped fluffy mouse full of air but having no substance.

'Here is love vast as the ocean (‘Dyma gariad fel y moroedd’) is a wonderful hymn. The two original Welsh verses were written in the 1870s by William Rees, bardic name Gwilym Hiraethog. It became known as the love song of the 1904-5 revival in Wales.
During the revival, Dyma Gariad was sung to the tune ‘Ebeneser’, and still is sometimes when the Welsh words are sung. It’s in a minor key. I prefer it sung to a tune composed by American Robert Lowry which he called ‘Cymraeg’. In Wales it is known as ‘Dim Ond Iesu’. I don’t know how his tune came to have a Welsh name.
Here it is sung by Katherine Jenkins, a Welsh mezzo-soprano: www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpEaflHQbwI
And here by Welsh tenor Huw Priday during the revival centenary celebrations in 2004: www.youtube.com/watch?v=APrUPPC8bFY

Yes, there’s been some windy weather around. I live in London which generally escapes extreme weather.
Welsh preacher: “and the Lord caused it to rain 40 days and 40 nights.”
Whispered quip by a member of the congregation: “Only 40? That wouldn’t be a bad summer in Wales.” :slight_smile:

Have a good weekend.
Pob bendith.

Yes, Katherine Jenkins comes from Neath. A couple of miles from us. Come to think of it, my Wife’s maiden name is Jenkins. Perhaps we are related :wink: