Old Welsh Hymns

Hi Rob.

That is very interesting, thank you.

I know angle food cake is very light. Just when it was almost done someone would walk into the house and slam the door, poof would go the cake. Mom would cry. I guess you do not try to bake something like that with a house full of boys.

Hi Pob.

Thanks for explaining angels delight. It sounds like cotton candy here that we only get when the fair is on. I do not prefer it.

Okay, now I do not want to get any hairs ruffled but could you please explain why the Welsh are called taffy?

Grandma always referred to herself as a taffy but when mom called a nurse friend of hers from Wales that she got pretty hot under the collar. Mom was shocked by it. She did not explain why and it was water under the bridge. At the fall fair they sell a sweet called taffy and I really like it. I love to learn about different cultures.
Here in Canada we are called Canuks (most do not know it is Eskimo but I do not know what it means). Nobody is offended by it.

Thanks for the good laugh. I did not know Wales had that much “sunny weather”.:laughing:

Wow, that was bang on with Katherine Jenkins link on YouTube. Thanks.

Enjoy getting a sun tan in the sunny Welsh weather.
Joseph

1 Like

Hello John.

You probably are.

I am looking to get in touch with my second cousin in Pontypridd that I have not talked with for forty years (we just lost touch with each other).

Can you trace your family history?

I can only go back two generations but am close to finding out how to trace it back even further.

2 Likes

@Godwalker

Cotton candy (UK candy floss) is a very different product.

‘Taffy’ or ‘Taff’ is a historic English pejorative term for Welsh people. (Cf: Paddy (Irish), Jock (Scots), Frog (French), Kraut (Germans). The origin is lost in the mists of time. Etymologists say it derives from Teifi, the Welsh form of Davy (David). Some people say it comes from the River Taff which rises in the Brecon Beacons and enters the sea in Cardiff, our capital city.
Some Welsh people don’t mind the term, and some use it; others don’t like it. I don’t.[quote=“Godwalker, post:23, topic:10477”] Hi Pob, [/quote] I used ‘Pob bendith’ to sign off. It’s Welsh for ‘Every blessing’. :wink:

1 Like

You’re right about the value of hymns as being a master class in correct pronunciation.

I also felt that, not having been brought up ‘chapel’, I should start listening to them as an element of Welsh culture that I had missed out on and was unfamiliar with (as well as hearing some wonderful music and some great voices!)

1 Like

Good afternoon Pererin

Thank for the explanation. I will share it with mom. I believe the second explanation is more believable.

I know of the other slang, we used to use it here all the time before everyone became politically correct.

People had respectful relationships back fifty years ago but we always teased each other good naturedly and one of things was about nationality…

Hi Pererin

Thank you for the Welsh blessing. I shall use it for some of my articles. I always like to end them with a blessing.

I have gotten so I can sing about four Welsh hymns and lullabies, as long as I sing along with them. It will take a lot of practice. It sounds great when they curl their rrrr’s. I used to do that when speaking Mexican.

May love and laughter light your days and warm your house and home.

@Wrexhamian
I was brought up ‘chapel’ but it was English language - very different atmosphere. I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about that element of Welsh culture.

You may enjoy this copy of a recording of a Gymanfa Ganu at the Royal Albert Hall in 1963. Limited value for learning pronunciation (apart from the very clear introductions to the hymns) but, for wonderful music and great singing, godidog! We had the original LP which my late father ( a first language Welsh speaker) not only played frequently but also joined in which, as a young teenager, always made me groan. Now I’m incapable of listening to Welsh hymns without joining in - humming when I don’t know the words. :slight_smile: Sorry Dad.

@Godwalker

The wonderful version of Gwahoddiad @aran posted is by one of the leading Welsh male voice choirs - the Morriston Orpheus. The conductor at that time would have been Alwyn Humphreys - a legend in Welsh choral singing. His wife Joy Amman Davies became conductor in 2007, having been the accompanist for 19 years. I’d say they are the #1 Welsh male voice choir but there may be an element of bias because they are friends of mine.

Although Gwahoddiad is widely thought to be an indigenous Welsh hymn, it isn’t. The English words and tune were both written by American Methodist minister Lewis Hartsough in Iowa in the 19th century and known as ‘I hear thy welcome voice’. The words were subsequently translated by Welsh minister John Roberts (bardic name Ieuan Gwyllt.)
You may enjoy this version conducted by Owain Arwel Hughes, a distinguished Welsh orchestral conductor, at the old Cardiff Arms Park rugby stadium in 1993. It was raining but that did nothing to dampen the ‘hwyl’ - a Welsh word which has no English translation which truly conveys the meaning.

2 Likes

Good morning Pererin.

Thank you for the link, I shall certainly look it up.

May the sunshine of happiness always shine brightly upon your house.

Hi Pererin.

Thank you or the two links. I can download them and listen while taking my daily walk.

Hi Godwalker.
Sorry about the delay in replying.
I haven’t done much family tree tracing myself, but other family members have done a bit. Also a couple of members of my own family have been traced by others. I’m not sure why :grin:
On a side note, I was fortunate to meet a distant cousin who was a well known vet/author.

Also, on Hymns, songs -
I must say that I love the old and new in both languages. It’s great that I can start to understand the Welsh lyric now.

this is absolutely.beautiful, though I did not understand a word. Having the words to follow was great.

My Welsh ancestry is way back and I am trying to trace where in Wales he came from. Is there a good genealogy group I could contact?

Did not know this thanks

1 Like