*Sold Out!* Bwtcamp 21-28 April 2018!

Fantastic - that is going to be absolutely perfect for you, Hishiv!

And I can’t wait until Iestyn finds out how long you’ve been learning for… :star: :star2:

1 Like

Brilliant @Hishiv ! I’ll get an email out to you with some details. It’s so soon now, I can almost touch it!

Who’s having early last-minute nerves? It’s very common, but totally un-warranted, so if you have any concerns let us know, and we can put everyone’s minds at rest.

2 Likes

Enjoy boot camp :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m vicariously thrilled for all of you upcoming Bootcampers. Bootcamp is a hilarious, wonderful experience as long as you promise to let yourself mess up spectacularly and often. I distinctly recall ordering a ginger beer with chicken in it (it’s NOT MY FAULT that the word for ice is so similar!), and finding a way to pantomime the question “are the dishes in the dishwasher clean or dirty?” because I didn’t know the words for “dishes,” “dishwasher,” “clean,” or “dirty.”

4 Likes

Well, better than a ginger beer with sex in it :innocent:

1 Like

And that’s a mistake I’ve also made, to great amusement of others…

1 Like

Hello / Shwmae,

My name is Hishiv. Here’s my introductory post for bwtcamp - late entry as I nabbed a space after someone else dropped out.

I grew up in London, but have been living in Cardiff for the last three and a half years. I work at Cardiff University as a researcher.

I had been considering learning another language, and since I was living in Wales, Cymraeg was the obvious choice.Yet I didn’t get around to learning Welsh until around October last year, when I found SSIW. Since then I’ve made my way through the three levels, started reading some Lois Arnold books for learners, and now booked onto bwtcamp.

In my spare time (apart from learning welsh), I like to dance Lindy Hop, and also try to keep fit by running and doing yoga.

See you all in a few weeks!

1 Like

@lynneedwards Have you got space for one more passenger? I’ll probably be taking the bus to Newcastle Emlyn.

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’ve not been great at keeping on top of the convo in here but we’re now less than a month away and I’m really excited! Just used up 4 days of spare annual leave in Gwynedd and really feel like I’ve reached a new milestone!

I’ll be coming from the east (Oxford). Looks like someone is from London but if there anyone I could pick up on the way?

3 Likes

@s-coates1 Oh, maybe, if you’re coming past Cardiff that might be even easier for me.

1 Like

Hi @s-coates1 , me and @Hendrik are also coming from Cardiff on Saturday morning if you had space for two more in addition to @Hishiv and don’t might coming off the M4 to pick us up! But happy to get the train if not :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Hishiv, great you snapped up a place! I think we’ve met at Lindy Hop before?! I also only started learning 7 months ago so I’m glad I’m not alone in being new to the world of Cymraeg :slight_smile: See you soon!
Sylvie

1 Like

So does this mean we’re all going to be learning Lindy Hop and yoga on this bootcamp? I do hope so! I have no idea what Lindy Hop is, but it sounds like fun :smile:

And a quick heads up to you all - we have a monthly ‘touring meetup’ in Ceredigion which is going to coincide with the last Saturday of bootcamp, so we’re planning to hold it in Caffi Emlyn, Tan-y-groes at 11am on the 28th. Anyone who can hang around for that and meet a few more SSiWers will be more than welcome, so why not extend your bootcamp experience for a few more hours before heading back to the world of Saesneg? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“dee, post:114, topic:10218”]
So does this mean we’re all going to be learning Lindy Hop and yoga on this bootcamp? I do hope so! I have no idea what Lindy Hop is, but it sounds like fun.[/quote]
Quoting from Wikipedia:

[quote]The Lindy hop is an American dance which was born in Harlem, New York City in 1928 and has evolved since then with the jazz music of that time. It was very popular during the Swing era of the late 1930s and early 1940s. Lindy was a fusion of many dances that preceded it or were popular during its development but is mainly based on jazz, tap, breakaway, and Charleston. It is frequently described as a jazz dance and is a member of the swing dance family.
. . .
The first dances named as “Lindy Hop” were born around the time aviator Charles Lindbergh made his groundbreaking flight across the Atlantic Ocean in May 1927.[/quote]

So, basically, it’s a bunch of jitterbug and the like. Lindbergh “hopped the Atlantic” - first solo flight - and gained instant fame, having his nickname “Lucky Lindy” associated with all sort of things.

1 Like

Yes, I believe we have met before. I was wondering if you were the same Sylvie.

Does anyone need picking up at Newcastle Emlyn? Or are you all fixed up from Cardiff now?

1 Like

I am not sure what the current plan with @s-coates1 is and if anything has been confirmed from that end. But depending on make and model of the car it might get a bit cramped with four people plus luggage from Cardiff to Tresaith, right?
So for now I am still planning on the assumption that I’ll be picked up in Newcastle Emlyn :slight_smile:

1 Like

One last call for t-shirts for April bwtcampwyr! I really must get the order in this week, but I’d hate to not have them for everyone! Post here or send me a PM

1 Like

Did you get my pm sionned?

Yes I did, Nicola - Thanks! Did I forget to answer? (sorry!)