Online Eisteddfod 2021 - Written Categories

This year the theme is – Môr a Mynydd – which can be taken literally to be about the sea or mountains, but is also part of the idiom “gwneud môr a mynydd”, which is the Welsh equivalent to “make a mountain out of a molehill” or “a storm in a teacup”, so it’s up to you which interpretation you’d like to use.

Welsh language prose (2 levels)

Beginner - prose entries of up to 200 words for people who have NOT YET started SSiW Level 2 or attended any DysguCymraeg.cymru (LearnWelsh.cymru) classes beyond Mynediad.

Write a short email or postcard to a friend describing a visit to a place by the sea or in the mountains.

Post-beginner - prose entries of up to 750 words, open to everyone – a short story related to the theme: "Môr a Mynydd”

Book review

A short book review, up to a maximum of 400 words, written in Welsh, for learners that are enjoying reading in Welsh and would like to share a favourite book with others.

Welsh language poetry (3 categories)

Short poem - max 20 lines, written in free verse, on the topic " Môr a Mynydd "

Englyn milwr – this is a short 3-line poem, each line having 7 syllables and rhyming at the end. In our Eisteddfod, this is optionally a verbal poetry category. If you’re not confident about writing in Welsh, you’re welcome to record your englyn and submit the sound file.

An explanation of the form can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/englyn-milwr-ssi

Here’s last year’s Englyn Milwr winner as an example:

Gwanwyn 2020 gan Charles Williams (Draenog)

Mewn byd go ryfedd o’n i
Canodd blagur o Gymru-
Gŵyl gwanwyn fy nghalon i

And to start you off, here’s your first line for this year. Just create the next two and you’re done!

Gwlad hardd yw Cymru i mi

As this is a verbal art form, the number of syllables goes with the pronunciation – so “dw i’n” counts as one. To help you find words to rhyme at the end, have a look at the online rhyming dictionary - Odliadur

Limerig – a limerick in the standard pattern starting with:

Pan es i mas am dro un diwrnod

A limerick is a humorous poem consisting of five lines. The first, second, and fifth lines must have seven to ten syllables while rhyming and having the same verbal rhythm. The third and fourth lines should only have five to seven syllables; they too must rhyme with each other and have the same rhythm.

6 Likes

Bore da! Would I be allowed to enter a poem which I entered into a previous Welsh learners Eisteddfod? Diolch yn fawr!

I can’t see anything in the rules to say you can’t, as long as it’s your own work and fits with the category theme, but I’m tagging @gisella-albertini, the submissions officer, who can advise in case I’m wrong! (you can find the rules here Latest news on the Online Eisteddfod 2021!)

3 Likes

Diolch!

1 Like

@sonigoulding2-aol-co Sorry for the slow ‘official’ response. We had to have a mini-consultation as we haven’t been asked that question before :slight_smile:

The main thing is that it’s your original work (as @siaronjames mentioned) but we also feel that it shouldn’t have won a prize before, or have been ‘published’. If, for example, someone enters a poem in a local Eisteddfod and later all the entries are made available for the public to read, that would constitute ‘published’.

It should also have been written ‘fairly recently’, e.g. since the beginning of 2020, taking the Lockdown into consideration :slight_smile:

I hope that helps and we look forward to receiving your entry!

2 Likes

Hi Deborah, not slow at all! Thanks for getting back to me. The poem did win a local Eisteddfod last year, so that’s why I thought it best to check. I will have a go a writing another one! Diolch yn fawr iawn.

2 Likes

Diolch for being honest about that. The Online Eisteddfod works based on trust, and we do appreciate people going along with the spirit of the event.

2 Likes

Congratulations on winning a local Eisteddfod!

Diolch yn fawr! blush:

Diolch yn fawr!