Oxford SSiW - additional meetups?

Diwrnod wyntog iawn oedd hi heddiw ond diwrnod dda - diolch i fyng nghydgerddwyr (??=fellow walkers, I hope) am y sgwrs. However I can’t claim credit for ‘dilys’, the word of the day (it would be annilys =false of me, in fact), as the credit goes to Pippa for that one

3 Likes

Diwrnod arbenning o dda unwaith eto ac er y rhagolwg oedden i’n sych.
Other words that cropped up:
Hungry = llwglyd (not that we were as our pop up cafe was well stocked)
Heath = rhostir
Cherry tree = coeden geirios
Stoat = carlwm
Sand = tywod
The yellow brain fungus plot thickens. In llyfr natur Iolo he tells me it is ‘tremella mesenterica’ in Latin. I thought your mesentery was in your gut not your head.
Two different black fungi. Firstly one that looks like black buttons & according to our learned friend @ramblingjohn this grows on oak branches the year after they have fallen. The unfortunate oak tree, that fell last year, is believed to be 400 years old & now it is giving new life.

2 Likes

Well done Pippa, your photo is better than mine. and i’m so pleased you could make sense of what i was trying to explain about when and where i see these (yn cymraeg).
It is Bulgaria inquinans - black bulgar though have heard them called Bishops buttons. (sorry no Welsh name).

As for the brain fungus i gess we are going to come across quite a few head scratchers when jumping languages.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Hoping for some Spring sunshine for our next walk+sgwrs shall we settle on Sat 5th March and Wytham Wood? It was suggested yesterday that we could repeat last year’s very successful walk setting out along the Thames Path and stopping for a break at the Talbot Inn near Swinford Bridge before heading back through Wytham Wood (Coedwig Pentrefanwyn??), and stopping for tea and cake(!) at the Wytham Village Stores, Post Office & Tea Shop

I could make that. Sounds good.

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s (Sat 27 Feb) St David’s Day concert in Oxford (6.30pm, Wesley Memorial Church, New Inn Hall St): http://www.oxfordwelshmvc.org.uk/documents/autumn2015.pdf
And, while I’m about it, don’t forget there’s another walk+sgwrs to Wytham Wood planned for the following Saturday, 5th March
Hwyl,
John

3 Likes

Now a bump for our walk+sgwrs this coming Saturday 5th March. We’ll be starting out from the car park in Wolvercote (see map) and plan to follow the route shown in red along the Thames to Swinford and back through Wytham Wood. For those without a car the number 6 bus leaves from Magdalen St (nr Debenhams), at 10, 25, 40 & 55 mins past the hour, arriving at Wolvercote a few minutes walk from the car park about 15mins later.

1 Like

JW, you beat me to it. I really hope to be there and will aim to be around the Trout pub midday.
I assume the meeting time is 12 o clock just so anyone new reading this will know.
For now the forecast looks reasonable (though still to cold for butterflies).

Cheers J.P.

Thanks, JP - yes, you’re right we’ll be meeting at 12 - an important detail!
I thought this time though we ought to meet at the Port Meadow parking place, as I remember last time we weren’t sure whether someone might be waiting for us inside the Trout itself rather than outside so we ended up going inside to check - if we meet at the parking area we won’t have to worry about that.
Hwyl fawr
John

3 Likes

A quick reminder about the Thames-side/Wytham Wood walk+sgwrs 12 noon tomorrow, Sat 5th March - see above for details. As always, everybody welcome
Hwyl
John

3 Likes

We survived without getting wet, suffered an annoying dog (though to be fair it’s the owners at fault).
Enjoyed tea in a pub.
And fantastic bara brith at a pop up cafe (that is sitting on a fallen tree).
diolch am dy gymnu pawb.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Diolch i chi @johnwilliams_6 a @ramblingjohn am ddiwrnod ddidorol.
First an apology as I’ve checked on to be balch / yn falch & I’m not convinced it does mean grateful. Pleased, proud or happy maybe but…?
Grateful = diolchgar
Some S words caught us out to start with.
Stranger = dieithryn (a person type stranger rather than something that is more strange)
Shameful = gwarthus (the price of travel by train in the UK)
Skull = penglog (we found penglog mochyn ddaear)
But it was the G words that caused me the most difficulty…
Gwddf = neck
Gŵydd = goose (there were lots of these but a pesky dog kept scaring them)
Gwŷdd = plough
Gwyfyn = moth
Gweddw = widow
Tricksy iawn

2 Likes

I was trying to remember: Ryfedd - strange (which i guess is the other strange fel anaferol).

Velvet shank - sorry, no name in welsh yet.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Mae’n fy nhro fi i ddweud diolch i chi, nghyd-gerddwr (my fellow-walkers?) a diolch Pippa am y rhestr geiriau y diwrnod. I got to wondering if there were any idiomau Cymraeg using these words and found these:
Gwddf:
- wddw yng ngwddw = at each other’s throats
Gŵydd:
- rhoi gofal yr ŵydd i’r cadno = giving something valuable to someone who can’t be trusted
- mae’r gwyddau yn y ceirch = the geese are in the oats, i.e the fat’s in the fire
Gweddw:
- gweddw crefft heb ei dawn = talent is needed to master a craft

also one more G word from today
Gwernen = alder

3 Likes

Me too…
Torri fy ngwddf i - dying to (do something)

2 Likes

On yesterday’s walk+sgwrs dechrau mis Ebrill was suggested for the next one. Is Saturday 2nd April OK for people? Suggestions as to where we might go are welcome - could be back to Wytham Wood where there’s still much to explore and Y Gwanwyn will be in full swing (gobeithio!), could be somewhere else we’ve visited or somewhere we haven’t.

Also, as this thread is about additional meetups, not just walks, if there are any ideas for other things we might do, do post your suggestions here as well
Hwyl fawr
John

3 Likes

I could do Dydd Sul that weekend but not Dydd Sadwrn. Has there been a Dydd Sul Crwydro before?

No reason at all why we can’t have our first Dydd Sul Crwydro that weekend. I should be able to make either day, but let’s see what other people think. @ramblingjohn @carolynh and others? Or the following weekend might be another possibliity.

May be a bit tight time wise with the trains (Sunday service starts late in Newbury).
other than that it should be good for me.

Cheers J.P.

Helo JP - given possible difficulties with Sunday trains, we were wondering whether it might work out better if we had our crwydro+sgwrs in the Newbury area. Be’ wyt ti’n meddwl?
Hwyl
John