Oxford SSiW - additional meetups?

Dim ots, Mike - I think it was announced when you were away and I was a bit late in posting the reminder, anyway

I’m busy hoping for good weather next Saturday.
Wild flowers, biscuits and good company. Mae’n swnio dda.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Hi John, I tried the doodle poll
but it came up as ‘doesn’t exist’ and asked if I was looking for other areas of doodle, and i didn’t know what to put. I think your link may not be specific enough.

I don’t know if I can make the 13th yet…transport problems.

Hi Carungo - I see what’s happened. A ‘1’ seems to have attached itself to the pasted link above. If you click on http://doodle.com/u6eg646uii68ychp that should work OK

At the moment the weather forecast is good for Saturday.

Cheers J.P.

Diolch John.
I plan to be there.

EDIT:

I noticed that another group are having what they call a Welsh Wander. All’s fair in love and Welsh, so shall we steal this name, but Cymraeg-ify it, and call it a Crwydro Cymraeg?

(Or in this case, a Charlbury Crwydro Cymraeg).

:slight_smile:

I withdraw this suggestion. Felt more like a route march than a crwydro today, and a rainy one at that. :frowning:

1 Like

Oh dear, the forecast was wrong and i got wet but that happens (to often when hiking).
Anyway i will try and remember some of what we saw and talked about.

First i had forgotten many words as usual, one question was the name for a teasle in cymraeg.
(Criau’r pannwr gwyllt) yep i said it had a long name.

Strangely one of the first sights was a lot of large snails (Malwen rufeinig).

Elingod - woody nightshade.

There was much discussion about plurals of things including Slugs!. Gwlithod/ gwlithenni which rymes with abergavenny (or it did to us).

Mae’r ysgawen yn dechrau blodau - the Elder is starting to flower.

Why the word for lazy came up i don’t recall but its (diog).

And at times while trying to photograph something the team got well ahead.

now a horse chestnut tree caught pipa’s eye and i was close at remembering it’s name. (Castanwydden y meirch) though her’s was a red variety so probably has goch added yn cymraeg.

Llygad llo mawr - oxe eye daisys . absolutely abundant in some places.

When i got home i removed wet socks and rued the forecast but of course it was my fault for not wearing my better quality boots.

Is there a problem with these outings Yes. days are far to short, if it had been June sunshine insects would have been abundant, it would be easy to spend twice as long doing this route and exploring all nooks and crannies where life exists. But of course it would have been dark by then.
Ho hum, do what we can with time.
Thanks to JW for planning the route (9 miles) and guiding us round it successfully.

There was a suggestion that next time we meet in Goring, i’m happy to sit on the river bank and watch for what goes by (it’s real pretty there).

Cheers J.P.

Following up JohnP’s post, starting from Goring was indeed the suggestion for the next ramble. There’s this circular route of 8.5 miles which looks quite good which starts from Goring and, in part, follows The Ridgeway (see below).

The weekend 4th-5th July seemed to be OK for everyone, so shall we say Saturday 4th? By train from Oxford or elsewhere, Goring & Streatley Station is convenient (on the main line between Reading and Didcot Junction) and, as before, we could aim first to meet up somewhere at midday for a bite to eat - I don’t know it, but the Boat House Deli & Cafe looks as if it might be a good spot as it’s on the river and not far from the station. Hwyl, John

1 Like

Looks good to me JW. those downs give the possible sighting of a not to common butterfly, the Adonis blue. (i better look up it’s welsh name).
Cheers J.P.

Am really sorry but am not going to be able to make this one :weary:

Sorry to hear you can’t make it this time, Pippa - y tro nesa gobeithio.

By the way, in case anyone’s not been following the ‘Oxford Welsh learners group’ thread lately, we’re going to try changing the monthly Jericho Cafe meetups to weekly ones, still on Tuesdays from 17:30 and with the first of the new schedule this coming Tuesday, 30th June

2 Likes

Apologies I’ve been a bit quiet of late, the trials and tribulations of a startup business. I can’t make this eve, but I’ll try to get along to future meetups.

That sounds interesting - what are you up to, Jenny? Anything we can help with? :sunny:

Not just at the moment, my English corpus is crunching away and will do so for several weeks more, while I have a Kickstarter project for an electronic kit that’s under way.

http://www.languagespy.com

I will however be wanting to talk to you when I start building a Welsh corpus. :slight_smile:

Ooh, that looks fascinating! Good luck with it all :star2:

Do you know about the work towards a Welsh National Corpus they’re trying to get going down in Swansea?

What’s your Kickstarter link? Maybe we could plug that in the next email? @Deborah-SSi :sunny:

I’m aware of the work at Swansea, also that at Bangor. It’s really encouraging to see work happening in this field, a language that is evolving is one that is healthy, and Welsh corpora will allow that evolution to be measured.

My Kickstarter campaign is for an RF board for the Raspberry Pi. It’s aimed at radio amateurs and electronics enthusiasts. I hope it wouldn’t be too off-topic for SSiW users.

Kickstarter link to the RF breakout kit.

2 Likes

It’s a little off-topic, but I think we can usually plug stuff that’s being done by Welsh learners :sunny:

Desperately trying to think of a Welsh angle and failing :smile:
Other than that the Raspberry Pi is made in Wales of course. I wonder if the Pi foundation would do a board proclaiming that to the world on its silkscreen layer if enough Welsh schools asked for it.

1 Like

A last minute reminder about the Oxford group ramble (=gwibfa?) tomorrow (Saturday 4th) starting from Goring & Streatley (see details in 16th June posting above)