Oxford SSiW - additional meetups?

Diwrnod gwych! Diolch i’r dau ohonoch chi - cwni dda, sgwrs ddiddorol ac ymarfer defnyddiol!

Time now to think about y crwydro nesa! As Pippa says, everybody’s welcome & suggestions for places to go hefyd - these were made a while back, but an idea from yesterday was perhaps to travel a bit further from Oxford to meet up with another SSiW group for a joint crwydro+sgwrs.

• Starting from Oxford’s Thornhill Park & Ride - Shotover Country Park
  • Starting from Tackley Station (Oxford-Banbury line) – canal towpath to Kidlington (frequent buses to Oxford)
  • Starting from Islip Station (Oxford-Bicester line – rail replacement bus) – along River Cherwell back to Oxford
    Car-sharing etc probably needed
  • Beckley to Otmoor RSPB reserve
  • Circular walk Burford to Swinbrook & return to Burford alongside River Evenlode
  • A visit to a BBOWT nature reserve
2 Likes

when or Where, i just hope i can make the next one.
Definitely a great help at moving forward.
For anyone who has not been out with this crew but thinking about giving it a go.
It’s not over serious, the SSIW way of don’t worry and enjoy is adhered to .
And trying to talk around missing words to avoid English is a lot of fun.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Great memory pipa, it has taken two days for me to remember what on earth i said. (or tried to say and faultered in remembering a word i read 6 months ago).

Ymylon danheddog - serrated edges. (so an ‘ys’ word it was not). guess mistakes are going to last for some time. :blush:

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

It sounds like you had good walk with llawer o geiriau discovered. Gobeithio mynd am tro gyda chi cyn y gaeaf!

I was hoping to have an afternoon in Oxford tomorrow afternoon and come to the Jericho Cafe … but as the weather forecast is not too good I’ll postpone it til next month. I get fortnightly Tuesdays as a regular day off work, so there’ll be opportunities for me to come another time I hope.

Hwyl,
David

1 Like

As a follow up to the sgwrs we had about cheese making … this is what I made today ‘Caws Haws’

1 Like

Gwych, Pippa! Mae’r caws yn edrych yn dda … a braidd yn fawr hefyd - roedd angen mesur enfawr o lefrith dw i’n siwr!

HI David - yes, just started to rain here in Oxford and it looks as if there’s a fairly wet afternoon in store so probably a wise decision - gobeithio welwn ni chi yma tro arall, felly
Hwyl, John

Oh yes the sgwrs about cheese making, (what we talked about keeps comming back to me (in small amounts)), there was quite a bit to say about cheese. Maybe blue cheese yn fuan.

Another subject was the word for ‘repeat’ programs on S4C.
ailadroddiad seems to be the best i can find.

Cheers J.P.

Helo pawb - Just realised we haven’t proposed a date for the next crwydro-sgwrs, so how about Sat 5th Sept or the following Saturday, 12th Sept? As always, other suggestions for dates welcome
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Diolch John, I could do the 12th.

Seconded.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

OK - Sat 12th Sept it is, then. I’ll have another think about suggestions as to where we might go.

Already looking for something to bake!

Gwych! Efallai byddwn ni angen ‘hamper’!

2 Likes

Three more specific ideas here from me about possible routes for our next crwydro-sgwrs on Sat 12th Sept:

Oxford Canal – Linear walk starting Tackley Station (Oxford-Banbury line), then towpath from Pigeon Lock to Kidlington (about 5 miles) or Wolvercote (8 miles). Meet either Oxford or Tackley Stations – frequent buses back to central Oxford from Kidlington and Wolvercote.

Shotover Country Park – Circular (well, figure of 8, anyway) route of 7-8 miles(?)(http://www.oxford.gov.uk/Direct/63687OCCShotoverleaf07web1.pdf). Start Thornhill Park & Ride (by A40, Eastern edge of Oxford), up to Shotover Hill/Forest - “ hidden valleys, varied landscapes and diverse habitats”, down to Horspath village, up again towards outskirts Garsington village, back to Horspath via Blenheim village – variety of routes back from Horspath to the Thornhill P&R.

Otmoor – Circular walk of 7-8 miles (?) around Otmoor (“semi-wetland area” - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otmoor ) containing RSPB wetland reserve (http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/seenature/reserves/guide/o/otmoor/index.aspx) Start from Beckley village, about 6 miles NE of Oxford (no buses but could arrange lift from e.g. Oxford Station)

Ond, pawb, peidio bod yn swil efo awgrymiadau eraill!

1 Like

hi, pawb. Dw i’n medru’n dod 12 Sept, gobeithio. Ond mae’n well gyda fi y Tackley route, dim ond 5 milltir ! Neu beth am Long Hanborough ?

It’s probably easiest for me to get to Tackley station, will check train times and get back here.
But really don’t mind, i just want to meet and talk , last time was oh so good /useful.
Yep train times look OK.
Cheers J.P.

By the way, re the Shotover route, I should have mentioned there are frequent buses direct from Oxford Station to Thornhill P&R - looks as if Tackley’s going to be the best bet this time though
Hwyl, John

Sounds good to me! Diolch i ti John

I’ve just realised we haven’t settled on a time to meet up for next weekend’s crwydro-sgwrs along the Oxford Canal. For public transport there’s the 12:18 train from Oxford which gets to Tackley Station at 12:28, so let’s arrange to meet up there at 12:30 (if it should be needed by anyone, there’s also the half hourly S4 Oxford-Banbury bus which stops in Tackley village). Hwyl, John

2 Likes