Oxford walks

Also there is the even more dubious thought that we might get a scorching hot day and the morning might be a bit cooler.
What about @RichardBuck, @chris-roberts, @ruth-connor who also ticked 22nd? Any preference?

I might, just might, be bold and get the train to Oxford on Wed 12th if that walk goes ahead.

Sue

1 Like

Iā€™m happy for a morning walk. But the day is free so I am easy going. I think @heather-9 will make it :crossed_fingers: so our weekend will be based around the walk and can flex for those less flexible.

3 Likes

Iā€™m currently free all day on the 22nd. A morning walk sounds best to me as long as itā€™s not toooooo early!

1 Like

Iā€™m sure that if we had a fun quiz about something like the use of the subjuctive in early Middle Welsh as we went round we could then easily class it as a sporting eventā€¦

4 Likes

Thatā€™s looking like a morning walk. 10:00? 10:30?
Sue

2 Likes

OK for me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Letā€™s call it 10:30!

Right. Weather permitting of course. 10:30 am on 22 August by the approach road to Radley Station. There is a bus stop, also maybe 3-4 parking spaces in the gap in the yellow lines unless the commuters are back. The car park is up by the church and school, not too far away. If I remember correctly, there are no stiles and just one gate on the route. I think it may be a kissing gate, but between us we should be able to lift a pushchair over the top. Bike racks are by the station if anyone is energetic enough to use one.
Sue

3 Likes

Diolch @Betterlatethan - that seems to be Radley sorted for Sat 22nd. :slightly_smiling_face:

For Wed 12th in Oxford we potentially have @Betterlatethan @bethan-williams-1 @chris-roberts @owen-mcknight @RichardBuck and me. Let me know if you could make it if we were to meet up at Port Meadow at, say, 10:30 (that would clash with the Zoom meetup, I know) :slightly_smiling_face:
We could meet either in the pay car park at the southern end (or the free car park near Wolvercote, but the latter might be impracticable for Sue, Chris and Owen?)

Thanks, but Iā€™ll give Port Meadow a miss this time round and stick to Radley. Itā€™s an extra mile each way to get even to the southern car park from the station and it all seems a bit of an effort.
Sue

1 Like

OK - dim probs, Sue :slightly_smiling_face:

I think I would prefer to just stick to Radley at the moment as it is the easiest for me to start off with. Hwyl Bethan

2 Likes

OK, dim probs 'to :slightly_smiling_face:

HwrĆŖ, I think I can make 10.30 on the 12th! No problem cycling to either end of Port Meadow (especially the southern end) ā€¦ except for the weather forecast predicting thundery showers, but :crossed_fingers: that will change by next week.

2 Likes

I should be able to make it to both walks. Iā€™d prefer the southern end of the meadow but it doesnā€™t make a big difference either way.

1 Like

For the walk on Wed 12th letā€™s make, then, 10:30am by the southern Port Meadow car park - so it looks as if itā€™ll be @owen-mcknight @chris-roberts Clive and me and maybe @RichardBuck If anyone else would like to join us please do :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadwā€™n saff
John

1 Like

Re tomorrowā€™s Port Meadow walk, the BBC forecast shows the thunderstorms holding off until late afternoon (the Met Office is less specific), but let me know @owen-mcknight, @chris-roberts (and @RichardBuck?) if you are in any way unhappy about going ahead with it :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

We did it! The Welsh walks successfully resumed today with a three-mile loop through Port Meadow and Burgess Field nature reserve. It was a blazing hot day with no shade but equally no thunderstorms! Here are @chris-roberts, Clive, and @johnwilliams_6 at the Oxford boundary marker (the far point of our walk and one of the few landmarks). Diolch yn fawr pawb!

6 Likes

Looks lovely. Glad the weather held out for you.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr @owen-mcknight a phawb :slight_smile:

1 Like