Oxford walks

Yn anffodus iawn we’ll be spending Easter with grandparents in the Cotswolds: we’re probably not going until Saturday, so if the walk were on Friday I/we could make it, but if it looks like Saturday suits everybody else I shall just say mwynhewch y brithegion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ideally I’d like to be back in West Oxford by 2pm for a music thing, but if that’s not possible it’s okay

1 Like

Maybe you could cut through to Abingdon Rd via Donnington Bridge on the way back and get a bus from there to get back a bit earlier?
Train times might make it difficult for @ramblingjohn to make an earlier start but we can ask him - JP?

I should be able to make it an hour earlier (11 am meet at station)by the bull.

Cheers J.P.

Diolch JP - let’s make it 11:00am by the bull statue then.
Hopefully that should solve the problem @rachaelseculer-faber :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Don’t forget :hibiscus:11:00am:hibiscus: is when we’ll be meeting up for tomorrow’s riverside walk to Iffley Meadow (Easter Saturday) ! :slightly_smiling_face: Meet by the bull statue opp. Oxford Station entrance steps - from there we’ll be heading downstream along the Thames towpath - and, as always, all welcome!

From last year’s Iffley Meadow walk, a taste of things to see tomorrow:
Britheg (brithegion)/snakes-head fritillaries

Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Glad to see from another thread that Iffley Meadow was as good this week as it was last week.
Sue

1 Like

Yes, the britheg(fritillaries) and briallu mair(cowslip) were certianly still doing there stuff as @ramblingjohn’s photos show What’s outside (BBOWT says there are 89,000 fritillaries there!)

For our next walk+sgwrs, how does everyone feel about Sat 11th May? Let me know what you think
Hwyl, John

If Sat 11th May doesn’t work for people, this coming May Day bank holiday weekend, 4/5/6 May, or Sun 12th are also possibilities. Do let me know if you think you might be interested @cat-1 @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan @rebecca @rachaelseculer-faber @jane-18 @bethan-williams-1 @mouselovinlady @Laura_P_87 @s-coates1 and anyone else who’s contemplating joining us
Hwyl, John

PS Partners & plantos welcome, of course (whether Welsh-speaking or not) - and dogs too if nobody minds :slightly_smiling_face:

PPS With bluebells (clychau’r gog/bwtsias y gog) already in flower, including a bluebell wood on the walk could be a good option

I think now we’ve settled on Sun 12th May as the date for our next walk - I’ll be posting further details later, but if there’s somewhere in particular you’d like to go or have any questions, do let me know. :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

For next Sunday’s (12th) walk, as hopefully there’s still time to see a good display of bluebells, I suggest either Shotover Country Park or Wytham Wood, both on the edge of Oxford (another, more adventurous option, could be Foxholes Wood Nature Reserve between Kingham and Shipton-under-Wychwood).
Do let me know, pawb, if you have a preference for one or the other of these or have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

Helo pawb - No preferences expressed so far for Sunday’s walk, so shall we settle on Wytham Wood (the Conservator’s Office have pointed us to where there’s still a good display of bluebells) :slightly_smiling_face:?
I suggest we meet up at 12:00 outside the Trout Inn at Wolvercote - parking is available a couple of hundred yards away nearer to Wolvercote village in Port Meadow car park and, if needed, there are buses from central Oxford to Wolvercote. Hope you can make it and do let me know if you have any questions
Hwyl, John

A very quick reminder about tomorrow’s walk+sgwrs (Sun 12th May) starting out at 1200 outside The Trout in Wolvercote. Do please let me know if you’re planning to join us so we can keep an eye out for you :slightly_smiling_face:

Perfect weather for the today’s Wytham Wood walk :sunny: and diolch @RichardBuck & Alan am y sgwrs

For next month’s walk how about the weekend of 29/30 June or perhaps Sun 9 June? Alternatively some weekdays might also be possible if that would work for anyone. Let me know if you think you might be interested @cat-1 @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan @rebecca @rachaelseculer-faber @jane-18 @bethan-williams-1 @mouselovinlady @Laura_P_87 @s-coates1 and anyone else who might be interested. And to repeat the earlier post …

Hwyl, John

Any takers?

Helo pawb - Sat 29 June is going to be the day for this month’s walk. Depending on who can make it, we could do a Chilterns walk from Goring-on-Thames to the S of Oxford, a walk including North Leigh Roman villa to the NW or around Otmoor to the E - and, of course, alternative suggestions are welcome. Do let me know if you think you might be interested. :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

It’s been a bit quiet on this thread for a while but looking ahead to next month, could a walk+sgwrs on Sat 22 or Sun 23 Sept work for any of you?
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Do let me know if you think you might be interested - nearer the date I’ll be suggesting a route, but other ideas very welcome :slight_smile: