Oxford walks

Diolch am yr update, Sue - looks like we need to hope for some drying weather and winds before next weekend :slight_smile:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Just had a look at the BBOWT web page on Iffley Meadow and saw that it was saying:

Please note, due to recent weather, Iffley Meadows and the access to the reserve is currently flooded. 10 April 2018 Snake’s-head fritillaries usually begin flowering around mid-April. Due to the recent cold and wet weather, they are likely to emerge towards the end of April this year.

With more rain last night, and although at least one of the forecasts suggests a reasonably dry spell after a little light rain tomorrow morning, it doesn’t look very promising at all for next Saturday, 14th April, but what are your thoughts on this @ramblingjohn?
Hwyl, John

well done JW, i have been watching the forecast and BBOWT comments as well,
would a re-schedule to the 28th fit in with peoples ability to attend.

Cheers J.P.

Diolch JP - let’s see what people think about a change to the 28th (it’d be OK for me) - @cat-1 @RichardBuck @Betterlatethan @rebecca @mikeellwood and any others interested how might that work for you?

1 Like

I am planning to go to Iffley Meadow on 28th, but with my regular Saturday walking friend who doesn’t speak Welsh. It wouldn’t be fair to her or to you if we tried to join you on the walk. We shall start at Iffley Meadow and walk back to Oxford, so we might just meet on the towpath.
Sue

1 Like

We went to Iffley Meadow today rather than 28th and the fritillaries were flowering. There is a good big patch near the boathouse half way along and another big patch further on near the bypass. I hope that they are still in good condition for you next week.

I also looked in Hinksey Meadow three days ago. There was no sign of fritillaries, but there was plenty of thick sticky mud.
Sue

2 Likes

Diolch @Betterlatethan - this all sounds very promising!:slight_smile:
With the weather forecast to cool a bit next week & without much in the way of rain, hopefully they will keep going and the meadow will have had a chance to dry out a bt more
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Helo @cat-1 @RichardBuck @rebecca and anyone else who might be interested - @janjones_1? . Don’t forget our Thameside walk planned for next Saturday (28th April) down to Iffley Meadow nature reserve where according to BBOWT there were 66,296 of these 4 days ago (hope they don’t mind me copying their photo):

More details to be posted later, but let me know if you have any questions
Hwyl, John
PS Also a quick plug for the Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym Eisteddfod the same evening from 7.30pm in The Mitre pub in the HIgh St
PPS See the “Dafydd” Facebook page for more details of the Eisteddfod https://www.facebook.com/groups/cymdeithasdafyddapgwilym/?multi_permalinks=1929342510411691&notif_id=1523655274629409&notif_t=group_highlights&ref=notif

4 Likes

I think now we can confirm our plans for Saturday’s walk (28th April) to Iffley Meadow. Let’s meetup at Oxford Rail Station at the usual time, mid-day, by the cerflun ‘Tarw Rhydychen’(?), i.e.‘Oxford Bull’ statue, opposite the station entrance ready to set off at 12:15
The forecast’s a bit iffy for Saturday and it looks as if it might be quite chilly with a northerly wind blowing over wet ground, so don’t forget to wrap up warm :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have any questions and, as always, all welcome (including non-Welsh speaking partners, but do impress on them that the idea is to siarad Cymraeg :slight_smile:)

Hwyl, John

PS I did think perhaps we could meet up in Mike’s Bap Cafe on Abingdon Rd, but there might well be no be room as they’re at their busiest at the weekend - nothing to stop us dropping by to pick up one of Mike’s famous bacon baps :hamburger: etc on our way, though, as it’s only a couple of minutes off route

2 Likes

PS Not for them to siarad Cymraeg of course :wink: (though they might pick up a few words :slight_smile:)

1 Like

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s walk (Sat 18th) to Iffley Meadow meeting up at 12:00 outside Oxford Station opposite the entrance. And Diolch i @Betterlatethan for the photo on the What’s outside thread
https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/whats-outside/971/3212
Let me know if you have any questions
Hwyl, John

PS At the moment the Met Office Oxford forecast suggests it’ll be overcast, unfortunately, but that any light rain should have stopped by mid-morning with only a 20% chance of rain thereafter

2 Likes

Diolch i @ramblingjohn & @RichardBuck for yesterday’s walk+sgrws to Iffley Meadow where, yes @Betterlatethan ) the fritillaries (britheg) were indeed still flourishing. It was a bit cold and damp but it was a good day.

Time now to think about possible dates for the next walk in May. Is any one up for a walk on the Late May Bank Holiday weekend, 26-28 May? That’s probably the only weekend I can make next month (although a weekday could well be possible). If a walk on another weekend would fit in better for people, do let me know - I’d be happy to suggest a route for you, if needs be.
Hwyl, John

3 Likes

Hi John, I’ve just got back from Tresaith Bwtcamp and keen to try and come along to these. The weekly meetups during the day don’t really work for me so looking at the walks. I can’t make any weekend in May sadly but looking forward to seeing details of the one after!

1 Like

Hi @s-coates1 - good to hear from you! Hopefully we might see you on the June walk, then!

In relation to the weekly meetups, I’ve been wondering for a while whether we might try and set up an evening weekly meetup as well, as that might work better for some. Let’s see if anyone else might be interested

Hwyl, John

Still not too late to arrange a walk+sgwrs for one day next weekend 26-28 May - let me know soon though if you’re interested.

For next month’s walk I’m suggesting Sat 23 June (the next day or following weekend might also be possibilities if that works better for people). As always, all welcome :slight_smile:
Hwyl, John

1 Like

I’m afraid I shall be en route to Blaenau Ffestiniog on that date :slight_smile:

1 Like

A quick bump for this month’s walk - let me know if you’d like to join us
Hwyl, John

Still waiting to see if we have the numbers for the planned walk this weekend - either Sat 23 June or Sun 24 June - so @cat-1 @RichardBuck @rebecca @Laura_P_87 @ramblingjohn and anyone else interested, do let me know if you think you can make it and which day(s) would work for you.

I’m proposing taking one of the following two routes - let me know which you prefer (but if you have another suggestion do say):

Hwyl, John

1 Like

Unfortunately I can’t make either day this weekend – tomorrow we’re going to look at a couple of possible new(ish) cars, and on Sunday we’re booked into the Tolkien exhibit in Bodley.

1 Like

With Mis Gorffenaf/July beginning on Sunday, time to think about a date for the next walk. I’m suggesting either the weekend of 7-8 July or the following weekend 14-15 July, so @cat-1 @RichardBuck @rebecca @Laura_P_87 @ramblingjohn @s-coates1 @janjones_1 and any others interested do please let me know which, if any, of these dates might work for you.

At last Monday’s Bap Cafe meetup, Kirtlington was discussed as possible location for a walk (there are a couple of native speakers in the village who perhaps could be invited to join us…:slight_smile:)

2 Likes