Oxford Welsh learners group

Helo pawb - turns out that the time advertised in the Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym term card (see post of Oct 24 above) for the Welsh carol service in Jesus College Chapel on 4 Dec is incorrect. Also the original time has been brought forward an hour because of an event later on and it’s now be going to be at 4pm (diolch yn fawr @owen-mcknight for checking this! :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Afriad I forgot to post about this week’s meetups :frowning:, so in case you were wondering, yes there will indeed be a meetup at midday tomorrow in the RB :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t join you this Friday, I’m afraid, but I haven’t forgotten!

1 Like

Sadly won’t be there tomorrow as we are picking up the keys to our new house :grinning: I will attempt to tell you all about it next week!

3 Likes

Diwrnod mawr! Pob lwc with the move, Ruth :slightly_smiling_face:

PS And a quick reminder about Saturday’s walk (see https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/302)

Heavy rain is forecast for this afternoon :cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::frowning_face: so we’ve decided to postpone the walk until tomorrow, Sun 10th, for which the forecast is much better :sun_behind_large_cloud: See Oxford walks thread for update on meeting place and route :slightly_smiling_face:

And now for this week’s meetup reminders :slightly_smiling_face:

• Wednesday morning, 13 Nov from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 15 Nov from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St

Hwyl, John

Sorry everyone, I won’t make today. Work is getting in the way! Hope to see you all next week.
Ruth

1 Like

The question came up at today’s RB meetup of what might be the Welsh equivalent of “Least said soonest mended”. I’ve checked this at @RichardBuck’s suggestion in the book of Welsh sayings, Ar Flaen Fyn Nhafod and that gives callaf dawo / dewi as the equivalent. I guess literally it means something like “wiser were (it) to silence”

2 Likes

Diolch, @johnwilliams_6.
The film that I was trying to remember today was “Belleville rendez-vous” or “Les Triplettes de Belleville” directed by Sylvain Chomet.
Sue

3 Likes

Diolch Sue - that name sounds very familiar and I’m sure now that I’ve at least seen clips of it :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, same pattern as usual for next week’s meetups :slightly_smiling_face:

• Wednesday morning, 20 Nov from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 22 Nov from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St

I won’t be able to make the one on Friday, so do please let everyone know if you’re planning to be there (and when you’re hoping to arrive! :wink: ) so that others know there’ll be someone else there as well :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t come on Wednesday. There’s another shop meeting.
Sorry, but I shall not know about Friday until the time comes. I’ll get there if I can, but it might be late or not at all.
Sue

1 Like

I’m expecting to come on Friday, but I can’t remember when (if ever) I last managed to do so in a timely manner!

3 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t make it this Friday as I’m in a meeting all morning. Pity!

2 Likes

I will be at Cafe Bap on Wednesday also planning to be at RB on Friday. Hwyl Bethan

4 Likes

Helo pawb. Tomorrow is looking unlikely for me but I’m intending to come on Friday. I have to be at work at 1:15 so I’ll try to be as on time as possible!

2 Likes

Just to confirm this week’s meetups:

• Wednesday morning, 27 Nov from 10:30am in Café Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 29 Nov from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St

… plus a reminder about next week’s carol service (copies of the words will be available and it seems that this year there’ll be carols in Welsh and in English).

1 Like

I hope to get to both this week. Amazing.
Also, the carol service is now possible thanks to a swap of shifts.
Sue

3 Likes