Oxford Welsh learners group

I shall be working in the shop on 1 Jan, but I plan to be in the Royal Blenheim on 3 Jan.
Sue

1 Like

I just wanted to thank the other members of the group for being so friendly and welcoming since I appeared earlier this year, and for putting up with me asking the translations of the same words week after week. (Some of them are finally starting to sink in
!).

Also a big thank you to @johnwilliams_6 for tirelessly organising everything.

Wela i chi’r blwyddyn nesaf!

5 Likes

Seconded.
Sue

4 Likes

Nadolig llawen iawn i pawb! I too would like to Thank everyone in the group for their patience and warmth and friendliness towards me. You are all also inspiring with your commitment to learning Welsh. Also Thank you so much John for your enthusiasm and for organising us all. Diolch yn fawr. Bethan

4 Likes

Wel, diolch pawb am eich geiriau caredig!/Thank you everybody for your kind words! :blush:
And thank you too for another enjoyable year of ymarfer Cymraeg/practising Welsh and hwyl! :slightly_smiling_face:
John

2 Likes

:santa: Hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas Day yesterday! :slightly_smiling_face:

Just a quick reminder about our walk+sgwrs this Saturday 28th Dec - latest update here:
https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/324
Hwyl, John

I don’t think we’re going to be around - ar ein ffordd i’r pantomeim, yn anffodus!

Mwynheuwch! :wink:

A reminder bach about this week’s meetup(s) :slightly_smiling_face:

Blwyddyn Newydd dda i pawb! I won’t be able to meet up tomorrow but hope to make it to RB on Friday! Hwyl Bethan

1 Like

Diolch, Bethan - Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i ti ac i bawb :partying_face::champagne:

1 Like

Helo pawb -a quick reminder that the first meetup of 2020 will be tomorrow. If you’re a newcomer you’ll find a warm welcome, whether SSiW learner or not, and whatever level you are from first beginner to first language speaker (do post a message if you’ve any questions) :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl, John

With Xmas/New Year out of the way, maybe a good moment to check if it might help to make any adjustments to meetup current days/times? Let me know which days/times you think currently could work for you (incl any potential newcomers who are thinking of maybe joining us :slightly_smiling_face:):question: - also could additional meetups at evenings or weekends, weekly or monthly, be helpful :question: :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, for next week we’ll stick to the usual meetup pattern:

• Wednesday morning, 8 Jan from 10:30am in CafĂ© Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 10 Jan from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St (NB No food at present, but tea & coffee etc available)

Hwyl, John

1 Like

A quick reminder about tomorrow’s first Cafe Bap meetup of the year :slightly_smiling_face::

1 Like

Diolch pawb for a very enjoyable sgwrs today in the RB! :slightly_smiling_face:
When we were talking about bandiau I said I’d also heard the word siendorf used for a band. Having checked, seems it comes from sain+torf, so a ‘sound crowd’ - really like that! :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

4 Likes

Well, seems the answer is no! :slightly_smiling_face:
Let’s stick with the current pattern of meetups, then, so for this week it’ll be:

• Wednesday morning, 15 Jan from 10:30am in CafĂ© Bap, Abingdon Rd
  • Friday morning, 17 Jan from 12:00 in the The Royal Blenheim, corner St Ebbes/Pembroke St
    Hwyl, John
3 Likes

Very interesting. Though the standard of the band I was in they would more likely be called the Bad Sound Crowd! Though the band seem to have done a lot better since I left
 :thinking:

2 Likes

Sorry all, wont be there today. :cry: stuck attempting to balance unbalanceable budgets!
Hope you all have a great sgwrs.

1 Like

Oh bad luck, Ruth - hope you manage to sort out the problem(s) soon :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl, John

Lovely to see everyone in the Royal Blenheim today. Advance notice of another Welsh event in Jesus College:

St David’s Day Evensong
The Annual Welsh Evensong for St David’s Day will this year be held in Chapel on Friday 28th February at 5.30pm, when the preacher (in English) will be Professor Ceri Davies, Jesus alumnus and notable student of Welsh renaissance scholarship, and biographer of John Davies, also a Jesus alumnus, whose Welsh Bible was published in 1620.

(Sadly I don’t think I can make it this year, but you will all be most welcome. Traditionally the sermon is given in English and the services and singing are all in Welsh.)

2 Likes