Oxford Welsh learners group

I was very sorry to hear your sad news. I hope everything goes smoothly for you on Friday. Look after yourself and I will look forward to seeing you face to face soon. Cofion gorau Bethan

1 Like

Helo bawb - last week’s meetup in the garden of Montag House worked very well and we’ll be repeating the same pattern for the next few weeks (they have very kindly agreed that we will be able to continue meeting there on Friday’s until 25th June if we wish, but they understand that we may wish to start meeting in a cafe or pub at some stage):

• 12:00 Tuesday 11th May / dydd Mawrth 11eg Mai (via Zoom)
  • 12:00 Friday 14th May / dydd Gwener 14eg Mai (Montag House)

See my earlier post for details about access on Friday, and don’t forget to ring/text me or call over the garden wall if you’re arriving a bit later (last week someone who shall be nameless pressed the intercom button on the door which somewhat embarrassingly resulted in the Facilities Manager coming down to let them in when we were literally on the other side of the wall).
Also …

Let me know if you have any questions
Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

1 Like

I was hoping to join you in person today but I have double-booked myself. Soon!

2 Likes

Helo bawb - apologies for this last minute notification but I only received notice of this event this morning. It’ll be worth logging in tomorrow evening, even if only to hear Mererid Hopwood who’s always worth listening to:

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

1 Like

Helo bawb - same again for this weeks meetups, i.e. Zoom on Tuesday and in the garden of Montag House on Friday:

• 12:00 Tuesday 18th May / dydd Mawrth 18fed Mai (via Zoom)
  • 12:00 Friday 21st May / dydd Gwener 21ain Mai (Montag House - see above for directions)

Also, don’t forget that at 6pm today (Sun 16th) you can log in to the Eisteddfod organised by the Oxford Welsh Soc / Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym with special guest Mererid Hopwood - see previous post for details
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Link to the thread about writing.

and link to the site itself.
https://journaly.com/
I don’t find it easy to navigate, but a few people have had a go.
Sue

1 Like

Weather forecast today’s (Friday) not good so we might revert to a virtual meetup via Zoom - update coming soon, so watch this space! :slightly_smiling_face:

UPDATE: Given the weather forecast today :cloud_with_rain:, we’ll meet up via Zoom today instead of face to face (get in touch if you need Zoom login details)

Helo bawb - hopefully we have a drier (and warmer!:crossed_fingers:) week ahead of us this week and we’ll be able to meet up again in the open air on Friday, so here’s the plan:

• 12:00 Tuesday 25th May / dydd Mawrth 25ain Mai via Zoom
  • 12:00 Friday 28th May / dydd Gwener 28ain Mai in Montag House garden - see above for directions

Get in touch if you need login details for Zoom on Tuesday or have any questions - newcomers welcome, as always! :slight_smile:

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John
PS Do let us know if you’d like to join us but find days/times don’t suit - additional sessions might be possible if there’s the interest :slightly_smiling_face:

I was hoping to finally be able to join you all in the garden today but it wasn’t to be as I’ve had to wait in for some drain people. Hope you didn’t get wet.

2 Likes

Not too wet.
Sue

Helo bawb - time to say ‘goodbye’ to May :cloud_with_rain: this week and ‘hello’ to June! :sunny:, but the same pattern as before for our meetups :

• 12:00 Tuesday 1st June / dydd Mawrth 1af Mehefin via Zoom
  • 12:00 Friday 4th June / dydd Gwener 4edd Mehefin in Montag House garden - see above for directions

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John
PS If you’d like to join a walk+sgrws I’ve now set up a Doodle poll to help settle on dates - there’s a link to it here: https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/476

Helo bawb - we’re continuing with the same pattern of meetups for now, but we’ll probably only be able to have a couple more meetups in Montag House garden after this Friday so we’ll need to start thinking about another venue soon:

• 12:00 Tuesday 8th June / dydd Mawrth 8fed Mehefin via Zoom
  • 12:00 Friday 11th June / dydd Gwener 11eg Mehefin in Montag House garden (see earlier post of 5 May for directions)

And, don’t forget …

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

In case you might be interested, just posted here details of this Sunday’s (13th June) walk+sgwrs: https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/492
Hwyl,
John

Helo bawb - following our usual pattern, here are the dates for this week’s meetups:

• 12:00 Tuesday 15th June / dydd Mawrth 15fed Mehefin via Zoom (get in touch if you need login details :slightly_smiling_face: )
  • 12:00 Friday 18th June / dydd Gwener 18fed Mehefin in Montag House garden (last but one meetup here - see above for directions)

Also, weather permitting, we’ll be having another walk+sgwrs on Saturday - see here for details and updates: https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/495
Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

Helo pawb - there’s heavy rain :cloud_with_rain: forecast throughout today (Fri 18th) so rather than getting soaked in the garden we’ll be meeting up via Zoom this Friday lunchtime (PM me if you need login details).

The forecast for Saturday, though, is dry so we’ll be going ahead with the walk (latest details here: https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/502)
Hwyl am y tro
John

1 Like

Helo bawb - this week may be our last chance to meet up in the garden of Montag House on a Friday as a new cohort of US students is probably arriving (I’m checking with Autumn that this is still going ahead given concerns here about the Covid Delta variant) - the weather forecast for Friday’s a bit iffy at the moment but hopefully it might improve a bit come Friday :slightly_smiling_face:
Ta waeth/Anyway, here are usual meetup details for this week

• 12:00 Tuesday 22nd June / dydd Mawrth 22ain Mehefin via Zoom (get in touch if you need login details :slightly_smiling_face: )
  • 12:00 Friday 25th June / dydd Gwener 25ain Mehefin in Montag House garden (last but one meetup here - see post #2089 above for directions or contact me )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John
PS Idea for for next Saturday’s (26th) walk here https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/oxford-walks/7540/507 And there’s also now a Doodle poll to find dates for walks in July: https://doodle.com/poll/64x3ukcnqpagmm7h?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link

2 Likes

Helo eto - Autumn has confirmed now that the students will be coming, so this Friday will be the last opportunity to meet up in Montag House garden (let me know if you have any suggestions for alternative meetup venues in July :slightly_smiling_face::).
Also, this Friday we’ll be using the other part of the garden as there’s scaffolding ibeing put up against the part of the building facing the section of the garden we’ve been using until now (keep a watchful eye :face_with_monocle: for people wielding scaffolding poles :warning:as you arrive!)
Hwyl am y tro
John

1 Like

Helo bawb - as yesterday was our last meetup in the garden hyfryd Montag House, both meetups as we move into July next week will be via Zoom (I won’t be able to make either of these, I’m afraid, but do get in touch if you need login details :slightly_smiling_face:). Hopefully we’ll be able to find another venue where we can meetup in the open air forthe following weeks - any and all suggestions /awgrymiadau welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 29th June / dydd Mawrth 29ain Mehefin
  • 12:00 Friday 2nd July / dydd Gwener 2fed Gorffenaf

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

Today marks 450 years since the founding of Jesus College, the Welsh College in Oxford! There was a service in the University Church which included a reading of a poem commissioned in both Welsh and English. I don’t think I posted this back in March, so here it is in case you’re interested; the texts are slightly different in the two languages …

3 Likes