Oxford Welsh learners group

I think I would prefer to try and meet in a park, weather permitting, possibly on Friday May 7th, and take our own refreshments, and see how that works, if everyone else is agreeable. Otherwise I will go to the tavern if that’s what most people would like!! I can’t make May 14 due to vaccination appointment. Hwyl Bethan

• List item
2 Likes

I can’t make next Friday but I hope to be free on another Friday before too long.

2 Likes

Helo bawb - hope you enjoyed any of yesterday’s May Day / Calan Mai celebrations (if there were any!)

As promised, this week we’ll be having our first face to face open air meetup on Friday of this week and it’ll be in the garden of Stanford University’s centre at Montag House, central Oxford (we’ll be limited to a maximum of 6 people, of course but we’d be unlikely to exceed that anyway). I’ll post more details during the week.

So, just to confirm:

• 12:00 Tuesday 4th May / dydd Mawrth 4ed Mai (via Zoom)
  • 12:00 Friday 7th May / dydd Gwener 7ed Mai (Montag House)

If you’re not able to make Friday’s open air meetup, you’d still be able to use Zoom for a separate virtual meetup on Friday should anyone else find themselves in the same position - best to post a message to confirm if you’re thinking of doing this :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words in Welsh today about my father’s death. I do regret that I’ll have to miss this Friday’s open air meetup, but I mentioned that I’d seen a film of the Stanford in Oxford centre as part of last year’s virtual Oxford Open Doors event, and I’m pleased to see it’s still online at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKSye3pq3RM

4 Likes

Oedd yn wir ddrwg gynnon ni glywed am dy dad, Owen

Diolch yn fawr am cymryd y drafferth ar yr cyfnod trist hwn postio’r linc 'ma Oxford Open Doors
John

1 Like

Sorry to hear this news. Hope you’re OK & that we get a chance to speak soon.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear about your dad, Owen.

1 Like

Thank you, and when we do, I have a book to return to you! (Fi, a Mr Huws)

On Friday we’ll be entering the Montag Houise garden via the garden door, not through the building. This map shows how to reach it via the Eastgate Hotel car park (be careful of possible trip hazards as there’s been building work going on there):
I’m aiming to arrive a few minutes before 12:00 and will be waiting outside the hotel in Merton Street for the next to arrive. As the garden door has an automatic lock, if you arrive after 12 and you don’t see me in Merton St. you’ll need to give me a ring or text me so I can let you in (or maybe shout over the garden wall :slightly_smiling_face:) - if you don’t have my mobile number already, send me a PM and I’ll forward it to you.
Do let me know if you’re planning to come along, and do remember to bring a mask in case you do need to enter the building at some stage for the tŷ bach
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

I was very sorry to hear your sad news. I hope everything goes smoothly for you on Friday. Look after yourself and I will look forward to seeing you face to face soon. Cofion gorau Bethan

1 Like

Helo bawb - last week’s meetup in the garden of Montag House worked very well and we’ll be repeating the same pattern for the next few weeks (they have very kindly agreed that we will be able to continue meeting there on Friday’s until 25th June if we wish, but they understand that we may wish to start meeting in a cafe or pub at some stage):

• 12:00 Tuesday 11th May / dydd Mawrth 11eg Mai (via Zoom)
  • 12:00 Friday 14th May / dydd Gwener 14eg Mai (Montag House)

See my earlier post for details about access on Friday, and don’t forget to ring/text me or call over the garden wall if you’re arriving a bit later (last week someone who shall be nameless pressed the intercom button on the door which somewhat embarrassingly resulted in the Facilities Manager coming down to let them in when we were literally on the other side of the wall).
Also …

Let me know if you have any questions
Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

1 Like

I was hoping to join you in person today but I have double-booked myself. Soon!

2 Likes

Helo bawb - apologies for this last minute notification but I only received notice of this event this morning. It’ll be worth logging in tomorrow evening, even if only to hear Mererid Hopwood who’s always worth listening to:

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John

1 Like

Helo bawb - same again for this weeks meetups, i.e. Zoom on Tuesday and in the garden of Montag House on Friday:

• 12:00 Tuesday 18th May / dydd Mawrth 18fed Mai (via Zoom)
  • 12:00 Friday 21st May / dydd Gwener 21ain Mai (Montag House - see above for directions)

Also, don’t forget that at 6pm today (Sun 16th) you can log in to the Eisteddfod organised by the Oxford Welsh Soc / Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym with special guest Mererid Hopwood - see previous post for details
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Link to the thread about writing.

and link to the site itself.
https://journaly.com/
I don’t find it easy to navigate, but a few people have had a go.
Sue

1 Like

Weather forecast today’s (Friday) not good so we might revert to a virtual meetup via Zoom - update coming soon, so watch this space! :slightly_smiling_face:

UPDATE: Given the weather forecast today :cloud_with_rain:, we’ll meet up via Zoom today instead of face to face (get in touch if you need Zoom login details)

Helo bawb - hopefully we have a drier (and warmer!:crossed_fingers:) week ahead of us this week and we’ll be able to meet up again in the open air on Friday, so here’s the plan:

• 12:00 Tuesday 25th May / dydd Mawrth 25ain Mai via Zoom
  • 12:00 Friday 28th May / dydd Gwener 28ain Mai in Montag House garden - see above for directions

Get in touch if you need login details for Zoom on Tuesday or have any questions - newcomers welcome, as always! :slight_smile:

Hwyl a chadw’n iach
John
PS Do let us know if you’d like to join us but find days/times don’t suit - additional sessions might be possible if there’s the interest :slightly_smiling_face:

I was hoping to finally be able to join you all in the garden today but it wasn’t to be as I’ve had to wait in for some drain people. Hope you didn’t get wet.

2 Likes

Not too wet.
Sue