Diolch Owen, that’s good news - let’s hope now for three more dry and sunny Fridays to enjoy the meadow!
I should be able to come to Broad Meadow for a bit tomorrow before joining some of my colleagues to support the climate strike nearby.
Helo bawb - the last week of September already, but no change yet to the meetup schedule:
- 12:00 Tuesday 28th September / dydd Mawrth 28ain Medi (via Zoom - do say if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
- 12:00 Friday 1st October/ dydd Gwener 1af Hydref (‘Broad Meadow’, just opposite Balliol College. Currently the forecast for Friday’s a bit iffy - if it looks like being wet we’ll opt for the tables with umbrellas outside the Castle Quarter’s Slug & Lettuce - I’ll post a message on Friday morning, if that’s the case, )
Hwyl a chadw’n iach,
Sudden urgent need to go to Abingdon on retirement group business. I’ll get to Oxford afterwards if I can.
Helo bawb - the weather’s suddenly looking quite promising for the Broad Meadow meetup this lunchtime, as is the forecast - so hope to see you there!
JCB at work in Broad Meadow this lunchtime - turns out that when Oxford Council said:
Some of the smaller elements of Broad Meadow will be relocated to accommodate the Arts Market, ahead of the site being returned to its previous state starting on 11 October.
… they meant carrying the benches away
I went to Abingdon - and discovered too late that the “urgent” errand was completely unnecessary. On to Oxford. Went to Broad Meadow and found only men removing seating. Went to Slug and Lettuce and nobody there either. Came home.
I was walking up and down in Broad Meadow, Sue, but I didn’t manage to spot you so I headed off home just after 12:45
That’s a shame. I looked all round and did not see you. Never mind.
Helo bawb - we have a new venue this week with the demise of Broad Meadow but times/days stay the same
- 12:00 Tuesday 5th October / dydd Mawrth 5ed Hydref (via Zoom - do say if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
- 12:00 Friday 8th October/ dydd Gwener 8ed Hydref (NB Change of venue to outside tables of the Castle Quarter’s Slug & Lettuce/Yr Wlithen a Letysen)
As colder weather begins to encroach we’ll need to start thinking about potential indoor venues for face to face meetups - suggestions welcome! . In the past we’ve used pubs ( The Royal Blenheim, The King’s Arms, The Turf Tavern ) and and cafes ( Jericho Cafe, MOMA, Ashmolean Museum, New Bodleian Library and the now sadly shut Cafe Bap ).
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
A quick last minute reminder for today’s lunchtime meetup
Hope to see you there!
I hope to be there next week, which just happens to be Diwrnod Shwmae Su’mae, doesn’t it?
Dwi’n hoffi Yr Wlithen a Letysen! Diolch John am sgwrs ddiddorol heddiw! Bethan
A diolch i ti hefyd, Bethan!
This term’s events from Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym (‘Y Dafydd’, Oxford University’s Welsh society), including the Welsh-language carol service at Jesus College on Monday 29 November:
Helo bawb - until it gets too cold to sit outside,The Slug & Lettuce seems to be a good venue for our Friday meetups:
- 12:00 Tuesday 12th October / dydd Mawrth 12ed Hydref (via Zoom - do say if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
- 12:00 Friday 15th October/ dydd Gwener 15ed Hydref ( NB Change of venue to outside tables of the Castle Quarter’s Slug & Lettuce/ Yr Wlithen a Letysen )
Also, see the previous post by Owen with the date for this year’s Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym carol service in Jesus College
Hwyl a chadw’n iach
Helo bawb - no changes to this week’s meetup schedule:
- 12:00 Tuesday 19th October / dydd Mawrth 19eg Hydref (via Zoom - do say if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
- 12:00 Friday 22nd October/ dydd Gwener 22ain Hydref (Outside tables at Slug & Lettuce/ Yr Wlithen a Letysen at entrance to the Castle Quarter)
We’ll be sticking with the S&L while it’s not too cold to sit outside - it’s reasonably well-sheltered and quite pleasant, in fact, when the sun shines
Hwyl a chadw’n saff