Oxford Welsh learners group

I passed the Head of the River on the bus today, and I saw that one tent has been reinstated - but not near the river. I await further developments with interest.
Sue

2 Likes

Helo bawb - same pattern as usual for our meetups in the first week of February (if anyone finds these days/times awkward, do please let me know :slightly_smiling_face: ). We’ll be seated in the open air again on Friday but we may be outside the Slug & Lettuce as last week, or outside the Head of the River again, where they seem to be putting back the tents/umbrellas they removed previously - we’ll confirm which of the two venues during the week

• 12:00 Tuesday 1st February / dydd Mawrth 1af Chwefror - dydd Santes Dwynwen (via Zoom - let me know if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
  • 12:00 Friday 4th February / dydd Gwener 4edd Chwefror (venue to be confirmed)

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

The forecast is currently saying 30% chance of rain on Friday. Of course, this may change. If it does rain, and if the tents and umbrellas stay, then Head of the River might be a better choice. Perhaps?
Sue

Yes, let’s settle on Head of the River, then, for the meetup this Friday, 4th Feb

1 Like

I just noticed that this thread mentions our walks but not our meetings.
Sue

1 Like

Diolch, Sue - I’ve juts posted a message there :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve seen your message and added a link to the Meetups in the main list at the top :slight_smile:

1 Like

Helo bawb - no changes to the usual meetup pattern this week:

• 12:00 Tuesday 8th February / dydd Mawrth 7ed Chwefror (via Zoom - let me know if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
  • 12:00 Friday 11th February / dydd Gwener 11eg Chwefror ( Outside Head of the River pub by Folly Bridge at riverside tables)

As always, newcomers particularly welcome - get in touch if you have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

1 Like

I am sorry I won’t be able to zoom this Tuesday although I hope to be at the Head of the River on Friday. Bethan

1 Like

Helo bawb - outside the Head of the River on Friday there was loud music from speakers next to the tent which, being sunny, didn’t really bother us as we were able to sit at a table well away from it. Next Friday’s weather forecast however implies a possibility of rain, so we may need to choose another venue for this Friday:

• 12:00 Tuesday 15th February / dydd Mawrth 15ed Chwefror (via Zoom - let me know if you’d like to join us but don’t yet have the login details)
  • 12:00 Friday 18th February / dydd Gwener 18eg Chwefror (venue to be confirmed)

Let me know if you have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - already the last week in February and hopefully better weather :crossed_fingers:
We’ll be heading for the Bodleian Weston Library cafe in Broad Street for our Friday face to face meetup:

• 12:00 Tuesday 22nd February / dydd Mawrth 22ain Chwefror (via Zoom - let me know if you need login details)
  • 12:00 Friday 25th February / dydd Gwener 25ain Chwefror (Weston Library Cafe)

As always, newcomers welcome - get in touch if you have any queries :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

I’ve just seen this poster for the Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir concert this Saturday:

More at Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir - News

2 Likes

Helo bawb - St David’s Day & Shrove Tuesday /Dydd GĆ”yl Dewi & Dydd Mawrth Ynyd both fall on 1st March this year. As well as the usual Tuesday Zoom (get in touch for login details), Jesus College Chapel is holding its St David’s Day Service later that afternoon. There’ll be no face to face Friday meetup as we’ll be having our GĆ”yl Dewi lunch, but Zoom will still be available for those who couldn’t make it:

• 12:00 Tuesday 1st March / dydd Mawrth 1af Mawrth (via Zoom)
  • 12:00 Friday 4th March / dydd Gwener 4ydd Mawrth (via Zoom)

Details from Jesus College (you’ll need to register if you want to attend the tea):

• The event will start with the traditional Welsh tea, served in the Ship Street Centre, at 4.15pm. The Chaplain, The Revd. Dr. Chris Dingwall-Jones, and our wonderful College Chapel Choir will lead us in the Welsh Service in Chapel at 5.30pm. They will be joined by our guest preacher, The Revd. Dr. Manon Ceridwen James, Dean for Initial Ministerial Training at St. Padarn’s Institute, the Church in Wales’s Theological Education Institute.

Hwyl a chadw’n saff

John

1 Like

Dydd GĆ”yl Dewi Hapus! I shan’t be at the Jesus College celebrations this year so instead I’m sharing these marvellous crossed leeks from the Senior Common Room.

4 Likes

Dydd GƔyl Dewi Hapus i bawb! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Helo bawb - it’s back to the usual pattern for this week’s meetups:

• 12:00 Tuesday 8th March / dydd Mawrth 8fed Mawrth (via Zoom)
  • 12:00 Friday 11th March / dydd Gwener 11feg Mawrth (Weston Library Cafe, Broad Street)

Do get in touch if you should need Zoom login details or have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Another event at Jesus College, this Wednesday evening at 5.30:
‘The Celtic Cross is a cross-cultural celebration of Wales and Ireland founded in 1984. There will be readings, musical performances and a talk by Professor David Willis, Jesus College Chair of Celtic. All are welcome.’
(Unfortunately I have a prior engagement elsewhere in College!)

1 Like

Helo eto - meetups same as usual next week. All welcome, especially newcomers - get in touch if you’ve any questions or need Zoom login details :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 15th March / dydd Mawrth 15fed Mawrth (via Zoom)
  • 12:00 Friday 18th March / dydd Gwener 18fed Mawrth (Weston Library Cafe, Broad Street, Oxford)

Hwyl a chadw.n saff
John

Helo eto - here are this week’s meetups: :slightly_smiling_face:

• 12:00 Tuesday 22nd March / dydd Mawrth 22ain Mawrth (via Zoom)
  • 12:00 Friday 25th March / dydd Gwener 25ain Mawrth (Weston Library Cafe, Broad Street, Oxford - NB Last Friday, turned out that the library cafe was closed for a special event, so we headed to the King’s Arms across the road - many apologies if anyone had a wasted journey :slightly_frowning_face: The King’s Arms will be the Plan B venue for future Friday meetups should the library cafe be closed)

Do let me know if you need the Zoom login details :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadwn saff
John

Helo eto - it’s the same as last week for this week’s meetups

• 12:00 Tuesday 29th March / dydd Mawrth 29ain Mawrth (via Zoom - let me know if you need the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 1st April / dydd Gwener 1af Ebrill (Weston Library Cafe, Broad Street, Oxford)

Newcomers always welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadwn saff
John