Oxford Welsh learners group

Helo bawb - it’ll be the usual schedule for this week’s meetups

• 12:00 Tuesday 5th April / dydd Mawrth 5ed Ebrill (via Zoom - let me know if you need the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 8th April / dydd Gwener 8ed Ebrill (Weston Library Cafe, Broad Street, Oxford )

Get in touch if you have any questions :slightly_smiling_face:
Hwyl a chadwn saff
John
PS There’s a new Doodle poll to choose dates for this month’s walks :walking_woman::walking_man:

1 Like

Helo bawb - this week it’s the school holidays so probably lots of families visiting Oxford which makes it quite possible that the library cafe will be full to bursting on Good Friday. If we find that it is will head to the King’s Arms across the road for our meetup that day.

• 12:00 Tuesday 12th April / dydd Mawrth 12ed Ebrill (via Zoom - let me know if you need the login details )
  • 12:00 Good Friday 15th April / dydd Gwener y Groglith 15ed Ebrill (Weston Library Cafe, Broad Street, Oxford OR King’s Arms if full )

Also, if you’d like to join us for a walk+sgwrs, don’t forget to complete the new April Doodle poll :slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo eto - same pattern as usual for this week’s meetups:

• 12:00 Tuesday 19th April / dydd Mawrth 19eg Ebrill (via Zoom - get in touch if you’d like the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 22nd April / dydd Gwener 22ain Ebrill (Weston Library Cafe, Broad Street, Oxford (King’s Arms, across the road if full) )

There’s also another walk+sgwrs on Sat 23rd (see Oxford walks thread where there’s also a link to the May Doodle poll)

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John
PS Do get in touch if you have any questions or suggestions :slight_smile:

Helo bawb - the last week in April already, and another couple of meetups, one virtual and one face to face/wyneb i wyneb :

• 12:00 Tuesday 26th April / dydd Mawrth 26ain Ebrill (via Zoom - get in touch if you need the login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 29th April / dydd Gwener 29ain Ebrill (Weston Library Cafe , Broad Street, Oxford (King’s Arms, across the road if full) )

Also don’t forget the Oxford walks thread which includes the May Doodle poll which helps us choose the best dates for our walks+sgwrs

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - same meetup schedule as usual for the first week in May (but is there anyone out there who hasn’t been able to join us yet because days/times don’t work for you - do please let me know if that’s the case :slightly_smiling_face:)

• 12:00 Tuesday 3rd May / dydd Mawrth 3edd Mai (via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 6th May / dydd Gwener 6ed Mai (Weston Library Cafe , Broad Street, Oxford (King’s Arms, just across the road if full) )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

I’m never quite sure where to post these things but I notice that Marian Brosschott has revived the Easy Welsh youtube channel:

https://www.google.com/search?q=easy+welsh+youtube&oq=easy+welsh+youtube&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i390l3.13223j0j7&client=ms-android-uniscope&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#

I find it quite a useful format with full·speed, natural-sounding interviews with bilingual subtitles.

(The format also exists for lots of other languages if anyone’s interested.)

3 Likes

How about posting it in this thread too so that those who wouldn’t normally read posts here on the Oxford group thread would see it -

3 Likes

OK Siaron I will do.

1 Like

Helo bawb - just to confirm it’s the same meetup plan this week as last (but to reiterate last week’s plea :pray::slightly_smiling_face: if you haven’t been able to join us yet because days/times aren’t convenient, do please let me know!)

• 12:00 Tuesday 10th May / dydd Mawrth 10fed Mai (via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 13th May / dydd Gwener 13eg Mai (Weston Library Cafe , Broad Street, Oxford (King’s Arms, just across the road if full) )

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Helo bawb - as usual we’ll meetup via Zoom on Tuesday and in person on Friday. There’s a slight change on Friday though as, thanks to Neil Stevenson, the Weston Library’s Public Engagement Manager (ac ei wraig @anna-haywood :wink:), we can now meet up in the Space for Reading, the window area to the right of the main Weston Library entrance (opposite side to the cafe).There are sofas, chairs and a large circular table and we’re allowed to bring refreshments from the cafe.

• 12:00 Tuesday 17th May / dydd Mawrth 17eg Mai (via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 20th May / dydd Gwener 20fed Mai (Space for Reading [opposite cafe], Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford)

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

Bethan and I tried the new venue in the Weston Library (and Helen Cook from the Bodleian came to say hello). I think it’s an improvement - comfy sofas and much less ambient noise than in the café.

One question that came up, out of curiosity - have any of you tried Welsh-language audiobooks?

1 Like

Glad the new location worked.

Re Audiobooks. I haven’t but for those that like a good kiddie book here is a free link https://drefwen.com/pages/free-welsh-audio-books

2 Likes

Helo bawb - the end of May and the beginning of June this week, but we’ll be carrying on with the current pattern of meetups:

• 12:00 Tuesday 31st May / dydd Mawrth 31ain Mai (via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 3rd June / dydd Gwener 3edd Mehefin (Space for Reading [opp. side of entrance hall from the cafe], Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford)

Last week in Nant G I learnt that it’s possible to get some audiobooks in Welsh via BorrowBox and by all accounts it works very well :headphones::slightly_smiling_face:

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

1 Like

I’ve just tried that BorrowBox app but it asked me to enter my local library ID. I could search for my local library, but it didn’t recognise mine here. I wondered if it was just for the UK, but it did suggest an Australian library, so perhaps not.

If someone could start a separate thread for it and give information about it in the General section, then I’ll be able to include it in the newsletter. It looks very useful and we often get people asking about audiobooks in Welsh.

2 Likes

Helo eto - same plan again as last week. The Weston Library’s ‘Space for Reading’ works very well as a venue for Friday meetups. There might be one or two other people there, but the hour from 12 noon to 1pm has kindly been booked for us by the Library so, within that hour, we can chatter away as much - or as little :slightly_smiling_face: - as we like. Do let me know if you have any questions or comments.

• 12:00 Tuesday 7th June / dydd Mawrth 7ed Mehefin (via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 10th June / dydd Gwener 10ed Mehefin (Weston Library Space for Reading [booked for us by the Library - by windows, opp. side of entrance hall from the cafe], Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford)

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

1 Like

Helo bawb - still following the same weekly meetup pattern - do let me know if you have any questions or comments.

• 12:00 Tuesday 14th June / dydd Mawrth 14eg Mehefin (via Zoom - contact me for login details )
  • 12:00 Friday 17th June / dydd Gwener 17eg Mehefin (Weston Library’s ‘Space for Reading’, opp. side of entrance hall from the Weston Library cafe, Broad Street, Oxford)

… and just to repeat, the 12:00-13:00 slot has kindly been booked for us by the Library so whether or not there are any other folk there, within that hour, we can chatter away as much - or as little :slightly_smiling_face: - as we like.

Hwyl a chadw’n saff
John

1 Like

I’m going to be at ’ Space for reading’ at 12.00 today. Anyone planning to join me? Otherwise I will treat myself to a latte on my own! Bethan

Hi @bethan-williams-1
What with the temperature at midday and the hayfever, I don’t think that I can face waiting for buses. I would do better to stay home and drink water. Sorry.
Enjoy your latte. With luck it will be better next week.
Sue

1 Like

That’s fine keep cool! Sue . I won’t be able to make next week. Hopefully catch up with you on zoom before long . Take care . Bethan

Hi Bethan - I’m planning to pop down there today before work.