Oxford Welsh learners group

I’m ok for Fridays too! Anytime between one end of school and the other. :slight_smile:

Thank you @johnwilliams_6 but alas I’m out of town on Weds 20th too :frowning:

Since this is getting quite complicated, I created a doodle schedule to try to track when people would be available for a lunch time meet up next week - I haven’t created one before but I think you just click on the link and then select the times you could make: https://doodle.com/poll/ici69zwfmv4ihnxr

2 Likes

Good idea and, yes, very simple to do. I clicked Tues & Fri but can’t be 100% sure about Tuesday though until the day before.
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Yes, Friday’s looking promising. Some of our group never check the forum, though - I’ve emailed them about this and will post a message once I’ve heard back. Hwyl, John

Tipyn bach clever there! :smile:

Great idea, @rebecca. I have said that I could be there at 12:30 on Friday, though I’m not really sure what time I could be there. I have an appointment in Abingdon and I’m not sure how long it will take to get to Oxford afterwards.
Sue

Just to confirm this week’s meetup will be on Friday (22 Sep) from 12 noon onwards at the MOMA cafe in Pembroke St. - see you there!
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

I’ll pop this in this week’s newsletter to get it out to more people. Can you tag me - @dee - if this is going to be a permanent change and you want it changing in the newsletter list?

Diolch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @Deborah-SSi - will do

2 Likes

A quick memory jog that this week’s meetup will be on Friday 22 Sept from 12 noon in the MOMA cafe in Pembroke St. and, as always, all welcome.
Hwyl, John

1 Like

Hoping to be there! :grinning:

1 Like

Hello Oxford-ish people!

I have to drop my mother off to see my great-aunt in Marston at about 12.30 on Tuesday 3rd of October - down at the bottom of Edgeway Road.

So…

a) is there a nice cafe or suchlike that you’d recommend near there? Unless the weather’s really filthy, I quite like the stroll in over the Cherwell that comes out by Linacre College (where my father spent a year a fair while back).

b) anyone around then who’d like to practise a bit of Welsh over a panad and a bite to eat?

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello Aran,

There’s the cafe at the Museum of Modern Art in Pembroke Street where the Oxford people met today. They also do a decent cup of tea at the Town Hall cafe in St Aldates, though they don’t have much food other than sandwiches. Both are rather the wrong side of town if you are coming via Linacre College. There are cafes in Broad Street and High Street but I haven’t been to them, and you may be fighting with the tourists for a place to sit. Others can probably come up with better suggestions.

Unfortunately I have a committee meeting followed by a shift in the village shop that day. I am gutted. It would have been an honour to meet you. After less than 3 months with SSiW I had my first meeting with the Oxford people today and I was amazed at how much I could understand. Thank you!

3 Likes

Such a brilliant meet-up today in Oxford with @johnwilliams_6, @cat-1, @Betterlatethan, and the forum-less Clive! Thank you all so much. I was quite nervous beforehand and having thoughts like, ‘I’m not sure I can remember how to say anything - is there even any point in going along?’. But, compared to the last meeting before the summer holidays, I understood about 80% of it and even managed to speak in WHOLE SENTENCES. I also made an important advance: I was able to make a distinction between ‘not being able to understand because I haven’t learnt the words yet’ and ‘not being able to understand because these people are gogs’ :stuck_out_tongue: It really made my day and I’m looking forward to the next time.

@aran I would love to be able to meet up for a disgled but unfortunately I won’t be in Oxford that day! On the Linacre side of town(ish), there is a snazzy new cafe in the Bodleian Library on Broad Street, and you can then cross the road to have a look around the older parts of the Bodleian and Radcliffe Square, which are quite stunning (and shouldn’t be too touristy at this time of year). If I were in that area just for a day, I would probably head to the Turf Tavern, which is quite famous, and does food and coffee/tea as well as beer. Apparently it is also the location of Bill Clinton’s famous not-inhaling. But as @Betterlatethan says, you are not short of cafes etc in that area, and you may as well have a gander around Oxford while you’re doing it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@rebecca - when I first read that I thought it said ‘the form-less Clive’ :joy:
I also had a really lovely time today! I’m very glad I came! So good to meet you @rebecca and @Betterlatethan - can’t wait until next time - @johnwilliams_6 you had better remember your portable library… :book:
@aran - I will be around that day and would love to come and say hello! Let me know when and where you decide to be and I’ll do my best to be there! :smile:

1 Like

Yes, indeed - thanks to all of you, @rebecca @cat-1 @Betterlatethan and Clive for a really good meet-up

@aran it would be great to practise some Welsh with you and Tues 3rd Oct would be fine for me. The places suggested by @rebecca and @Betterlatethan are all good but also I’m thinking it should be possible for us to get into Linacre College for a panad and bite to eat if you’d like to - another possibility a bit closer to Linacre than Broad St might be Morton’s Cafe in the Natural History Museum in Parks Rd

3 Likes

I rather like the sound of a dishgled in a college @johnwilliams_6 :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you @rebecca, @johnwilliams_6, @cat-1 and Clive. You made my first ever attempt so very enjoyable that I look forward to the next time.

Sue

2 Likes

You get extra brownie points for surprising me in the queue @Betterlatethan!! :joy:

1 Like

If you only knew how long it took me to get up the courage to address you, @cat-1 :blush:

2 Likes