Oxford Welsh learners group

I like the idea of the odd extra meet up too! Can’t do Friday this week, though as I swapped my Tuesday gubbins for Friday. :confounded:
How do we go about the CDapG stuff? Do we join up?

I’ll try to keep everybody updated on what’s going on with CDapG - there’s no actual need to join up as Lois has already said we’d be welcome to come along to their events, but they do have a Facebook page if you do want to join up.

1 Like

I am hoping to be there on Friday this week.
Sue

1 Like

That was such a delightful treat - it was really lovely to meet you all! And I was hugely impressed by your levels of Welsh, and your shared courage in staying in Welsh instead of lapsing into English :star: :star2:

And to end up talking about how languages allow you to step outside the norm - well, I’d say that’s a pretty impressively advanced bit of communication… :slight_smile:

Thank you all very much indeed. It really made a challenging day much easier to have such a lovely time in the middle of it… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :dizzy:

4 Likes

And definitely a treat, as well, for all of us - diolch yn fawr, Aran!

2 Likes

They actually organise a summer al fresco party, which I think I’m still on the mailing list for (despite having no real connection with Prifysgol Rhydychen). From my communications so far with the person who organises the party, I’m sure they’d be happy to have more Welsh speakers come along. It’s a “bring and share” affair, and somewhat out in the sticks, so some car-sharing might be needed. Anyway, I’ll contact you nearer the time (i.e. next summer (or what passes for summer :wink: ).

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t see this until too late Aran. I saw your allusion to Oxford in another thread, but didn’t think of looking in this one. Oh well, hopefully you’ll be down this way another time. Sounds like you all had a great time anyway. :slight_smile:

Oh, I’d presumed you’d seen and couldn’t make it - sorry to miss you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

On re-reading, my posting could have been a bit more positive than “should be able” - in fact, Lois, this year’s ‘Caplan’, told me we will be able to attend their events - she’s planning also to organise more this academic year than in the year just gone.
By the way, the al fresco event this summer was actually in the University Parks, which would make things a lot easier if that’s what happens next summer.

3 Likes

Thank you, everyone who was at Modern Art today. I really enjoyed meeting you. I’m sorry you couldn’t make it, @cat-1.

As I tried to say, I might or might not turn up next week. It depends on whether or not the electrician finishes in time.

Sue

4 Likes

I’m deffo coming next week - I missed my Welsh fix! As it turns out, I’ve been nursing a lurgy and have turned into Squeaky McSqueak from Squeaky Barton, so you were all blooming lucky not to witness what I could have done to the Welsh language today! :mask::mask::mask:

2 Likes

As a bit of a recap about possibly having a second meeting each week/some weeks on Tues or Wed (hopefully I’ve remembered correctly!), generally @rebecca can make Tuesdays, @RichardBuck and @Betterlatethan Wednesdays and @mikeellwood either day - depending on the week one or either of Tues or Wed would be OK for me as well (although not Wed next week) - @cat-1 and anyone else who’s interested, let me know if either day might work for you? I’ll check with email Clive and Richard W by email
Hwyl, John

3 Likes

Currently I can make some Tuesdays, and will be more flexible after Christmas and be able to do Wednesdays too. So count me in for anything Tuesdayish for now!

3 Likes

Nice to make contact with the Oxford Group again after too long a break, and lovely to meet Sue @Betterlatethan , @rebecca and @RichardBuck and see @johnwilliams_6 again.

Ah we were talking about a 2nd day were we? (I’d thought we were talking about moving the Friday…just goes to show how much goes over my head… :wink: ). At the moment, Friday works very well for me. No problem with Wednesday either.

I have a slight conflict regarding Tuesday, but I think I could move the thing it conflicts with, if most people prefer Tuesday, without too much trouble.

Monday and Thursday would not be ideal for various reasons, although not impossible.

Goodness! - Siarad Cymraeg twice a week (as opposed to once a month…) - we’ll all be talking the hind leg off a donkey yn y Gymraeg in no time!

Hwyl am y tro,
Mike

5 Likes

I know someone with a donkey. Shall I bring it next week? :grin:

2 Likes

Only if its hind legs are securely attached.

3 Likes

Can’t promise anything. I’m never entirely sure about my own legs to be fair!
:goat::goat: (I know - no donk emoji :astonished:)

1 Like

If I’ve got it right, it looks as if 3 of us can make Tuesday this week (@cat-1 @rebecca and me) and 3 Wednesday (@RichardBuck @Betterlatethan and @mikeellwood) - how about, then, as well as our regular Friday meetup this week, a mini-meetup on Tues 10th and another on Wed 11th? Once I’ve heard back from Clive and the other Richard we can sort out a more regular arrangement.
By the way, @HelenV-E you were saying you can’t make Tuesdays and Fridays - might lunchtime on Wednesdays work for you?
Hwyl, John

2 Likes

Bore da pawb.

Re non-Friday meet ups…all depends on what meetings I have at work on that particular day so won’t be able to commit to a certain day every week or other week. But if I am available I’ll definitely come along.

What time for this week?

Hapus dydd sul

H.

1 Like

Ah well that was before before a spot of reality smashed into my free Tuesday! I can manage a coffeee (yes, three 'e’s are important) in the morning 10ish till midday??? Don’t worry if not, just pushing my luck!

1 Like