Oxford Welsh learners group

I vote we call it Modern Interesting Art Oxford (West), just so I can call it MIAO(W). Catchy eh?
Diolch i ti for a good old natter @johnwilliams_6 :smiley:

2 Likes

Interesting - itā€™s gone from being a substantive ā€œthingā€ (a museum) to being an abstract concept. Well, that figures, I guess.

(and apparently, it changed its name in 2002! :wink: ).

BTW, what do cats say in Welsh? (thatā€™s a question, not a setup for a jokeā€¦).

2 Likes

There is no way to answer that without it becoming a jokeā€¦

1 Like

To my surprise, if you type ā€˜miaowā€™ into the GPC (http://geiriadur.ac.uk/gpc/gpc.html ) search box it tells us that Welsh for miaow is mew, miew, or miaw :slight_smile: ! (it fails miserably with the Welsh for woof :disappointed:)

2 Likes

My cat tells me itā€™s ā€˜Wffā€™. Like everyone else in this house, sheā€™s learning another languageā€¦

2 Likes

Canā€™t make today Iā€™m afraid. Could someone natter extra loudly and drink some tea on my behalf? Diolch :tea:

2 Likes

Weā€™ll do our best! :slight_smile:

1 Like

One week nearer Nadolig and again we have a couple of meetups, one on Tuesday, 21st, from 10am in the Ashmolean Museum and the other on Friday, 24th, from 12 noon in the MAO cafe in Pembroke St ( or for SSiW purposes, MIAO :slight_smile:, and formerly MOMA). All welcome, so do join us if you can.

Also, as we try to fill the cafes of Oxford/Rhydychen with the sound of Cymraeg, remember there may be the possibility of an ad hoc meetup another day/time, so do post a message if you feel the need for a sgwrs and letā€™s see if anyone else can join you.

Hwyl, John

1 Like

Whoops! , That should have read ā€œā€¦ the Ashmolean Museum Cafeā€

1 Like

I think we should sneak into that tomb theyā€™ve got in the Egyptian section and gabble away in Welsh in there. Thatā€™s not something you come across every day.
Mind you, no cake. :cake:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Who are you calling an old relicā€¦? :wink:

Unfortunately, I seem to have gone down with a cold, and am feeling like a bit of a relic, so it looks like I wonā€™t be able to join you again this week. Maeā€™n ddrwg gen i.

Bad luck @mikeellwood. Hope it shifts soon. :mask:
And whilst Iā€™m not feeling relicky (!) my littlest one is, so I will, more than likely, be juggling calpol and hot water bottles tomorrow. Iā€™m going to try my best to bribe him into health by Friday though, so Iā€™m hoping to be at MIAOW. :smile:

1 Like

Yes, bad luck @mikeellwood - hope to see you next week, then, and @cat-1 hope your trychfilyn bach is on the mend soon :thermometer_face: ā€¦ and, @me, hope Iā€™m not going to be the only one there tomorrow :worried:

2 Likes

Hope any colds (anwydau), flu (ffliw) etc are on their way out of the window by now - and in case a quick memory jog is needed in their aftermath (adladd) ā€¦ mmm, going off at a complete tangent, suddenly thought what an odd word, ā€˜aftermathā€™- checking the (Eng.) dictionary gives literal meaning ā€œsecond mowing of grass in the same seasonā€ with the Gweiadur giving a similar definition for adladd
ā€¦ sorry, it was supposed to be just a quick memory jog about tomorrowā€™s (Fri 24th) 12:00 MOMA/MOA/MIAOW cafe meetup :slight_smile:

1 Like

And a special event next week :grinning:: Lois Llywelyn Williams of OxUniā€™s Cymdeithas Dafydd ap Gwilym has invited SSiW people to join their carol service:

:star2::christmas_tree::star2: Let us celebrate Christmas together in Y Dafyddā€™s annual Welsh Carol Service, held in Jesus College Chapel on Thursday 30th November. The service will begin at 6.15pm and will end at around 7pm. :star2::christmas_tree::star2:

:star2::christmas_tree::star2: Dewch inni ddathluā€™r Nadolig gydaā€™n gilydd yng Ngwasanaeth Carolau blynyddol Y Dafydd yng Nghapel Coleg yr Iesu nos Iau 30ain Tachwedd. Bydd y noson yn cychwyn am 6.15yh ac yn gorffen oddeutu 7yh. :star2::christmas_tree::star2:

2 Likes

I am hoping to be there on Friday.
Sue

2 Likes

Who only mows twice in a season? What are you going to call subsequent mowings?
I do love a good tangent - dal ati @johnwilliams_6 :grin:
Iā€™m hoping to be there too, to discuss mowing in the Miaow!

1 Like

Ultramaths.

2 Likes

erā€¦ (well, if I can get away with itā€¦ :wink: ).

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: